Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Regis: One of the last BROADCASTERS  (Read 6403 times)

entguy1

Regis: One of the last BROADCASTERS
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2005, 09:55:43 AM »
I'd say add Tom Snyder to the list. When Letterman hired him for the "Late Late Show," I believe the reason he gave for it was "He's a Broadcaster." That's probably why Dave has such an affinity for Reege as well. For the same reason, pencil Howard Stern in there as well.

As for broadcasters of the future, there aren't many. As radio morning-show host friends of mine are quick to point out, there's no "farm team" anymore -- no place for a young broadcaster to get experience and work his or her way up. Too many small and medium markets are relying on syndicated morning shows, not giving anyone a chance.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2005, 10:03:58 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Nov 18 2005, 02:08 AM\'][quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Nov 18 2005, 01:00 AM\']What would your thoughts be about adding Bob Costas to the list? Would he fit?[/quote]
I would...and after he decided to stop talking about the Natalee Holloway case, I realized he even had a conscience. ;-)[/quote]
Most good sportscasters are good broadcasters.  That's why people like Bob Costas and Bryant Gumbel can effortlessly move back and forth.  (As off-putting as Gumbel can be, he is the epitome of charm and understated grace when he fills in for Regis on the AM show.)  

Going back a way, it's also why Dick Enberg and Vin Scully made decent game show hosts.  I remember people being astonished back in 1972 when Jim McKay did such a good job covering the news of the Munich Olympics, but that's another example of good broadcasters being good broadcasters, no matter the genre.  (We all know, though few others do, what a great broadcaster Bill Cullen was.)

Thing is, most good sports people are perfectly content being sports people, so we don't get the chance to see them in some other venue.  Because of their relatively lower stature, good game show hosts seem to have more of a desire to work in other fields.

Here's a good one nobody's mentioned:  Al Roker.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2005, 10:17:10 AM »
Bob Costas, or Tom Snyder for that matter, will not be a complete broadcaster in my book until he hosts a game show.  Howard Stern, I believe, secretly wants to host a mainstream game show.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 10:19:13 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2005, 10:30:56 AM »
How about Meredith Viera...

Conducting compelling interviews in journalism, talk show guests and game show contestants and providing suspense.
-Sanford

goongas

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2005, 10:50:32 AM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' date=\'Nov 18 2005, 11:30 AM\']How about Meredith Viera...

Conducting compelling interviews in journalism, talk show guests and game show contestants and providing suspense.
[snapback]102563[/snapback]
[/quote]

She doesn't provide much suspense on Millionaire, at least not in the ballpark Regis used to.

Don Howard

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2005, 11:02:53 AM »
I'd like to add Al Michaels to this group. His switching to a news correspondent role as soon as that earthquake hit San Francisco during the 1989 World Series was unforgettable. He was seen on World News Tonight and Nightline for many days after that.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2005, 11:52:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Nov 18 2005, 12:02 PM\']I'd like to add Al Michaels to this group. His switching to a news correspondent role as soon as that earthquake hit San Francisco during the 1989 World Series was unforgettable. He was seen on World News Tonight and Nightline for many days after that.[/quote]
Absolutely.  Hey, check out whom fellow sportscasters consider the ten best EVER, and note how many of them were mentioned in our discussion:

http://www.americansportscasters.com/top10.html

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2005, 12:00:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 18 2005, 08:52 AM\']Hey, check out whom fellow sportscasters consider the ten best EVER, and note how many of them were mentioned in our discussion:

http://www.americansportscasters.com/top10.html
[snapback]102569[/snapback]
[/quote]
Wow, it's nice to see a list like this that doesn't have Tim McCarver on it.

(Yes, I've seen lists like this with Tim McCarver on them.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2005, 12:25:52 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 18 2005, 01:00 PM\']Wow, it's nice to see a list like this that doesn't have Tim McCarver on it.
(Yes, I've seen lists like this with Tim McCarver on them.)[/quote]
Whenever somebody talks about McCarver as a best-ever, I'm reminded of his on-air meltdown during an Atlanta Braves locker room celebration when someone dared try to douse him with the bubbly.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2005, 12:31:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 18 2005, 11:25 AM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 18 2005, 01:00 PM\']Wow, it's nice to see a list like this that doesn't have Tim McCarver on it.
(Yes, I've seen lists like this with Tim McCarver on them.)[/quote]
Whenever somebody talks about McCarver as a best-ever, I'm reminded of his on-air meltdown during an Atlanta Braves locker room celebration when someone dared try to douse him with the bubbly.
[snapback]102573[/snapback]
[/quote]
There's a fine line between joyous celebration when sportscasters are caught in champagne celebrations just by being in the "wrong place at the wrong time," so to speak, and what Deion Sanders was attempting to do (he was shooting the champagne at McCarver out of spite because McCarver said some negative things about him on air).

Not to exonerate Timmy, mind you--McCarver is one of the best "masters of the obvious" analysts ever.  He adds very little that is actually insightful.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Neumms

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2005, 12:57:53 PM »
How about Brent Musburger? He did local news in L.A. besides being the first and best pregame show guy. Costas is better at play-by-play, but nobody said, "you are looking live" like Brent.

Jane Pauley is a broadcaster, too, despite the failure of her attempt to do Maury's show.

And Bryant Gumbel's brother Greg is both smooth and likable.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 12:58:48 PM by Neumms »

uncamark

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2005, 02:37:47 PM »
I've had the feeling that, among women, Robin Roberts could excel at anything given to her.  She is so comfortable with the camera, so articulate and so intelligent that she could do anything in television.

And if given the right venue (and neither "ESPN Hollywood" nor "Cold Pizza" are/were that), I think that Thea Andrews could impress.  She's comfortable with the camera, smart and has a likable personality.  It's not her fault that she was saddled with a mediocrity and a lamebrain (guess who was which, kids--and I'm not talking about Woody Paige!) and that she's currently doing a show that has no business being on the Sister Total Sports Network.  Oh, and she's working with a "Saved by the Bell" refugee now, too.  (And yes, Zach, we know he did a game show, so keep still.  Thea did a relationship show in Canada, too.)

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2005, 01:57:17 AM »
First of all his name is "Chevrolet's Tim McCarver"...has been since his show debuted, lol.

Second of all, I'll always remember hearing him ruining one of the greatest moments in Phillies history.  Game 5 - 1980 NLCS - 10th Inning...a punch shot is hit to centerfielder Garry Maddox.  As the great Harry Kalas makes the call, McCarver starts laughing hysterically and drowning out Kalas for like 90 seconds - 2 minutes.  See, even back in 1980 people knew he sucked!