Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dan Enright Productions  (Read 7308 times)

The Pyramids

Dan Enright Productions
« on: November 19, 2005, 07:15:09 PM »
I'm largely unfamiliar with the last 'Tic Tac Dough' and 'The Jokers Wild.' Which one seems to have the lower reputation over time?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 07:15:29 PM by PaulD »

aaron sica

Dan Enright Productions
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 07:19:51 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Nov 19 2005, 07:15 PM\']I'm largely unfamiliar with the last 'Tic Tac Dough' and 'The Jokers Wild.' Which one seems to have the lower reputation over time?
[snapback]102656[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, with Pat Finn's "first definition...last definition" and Patrick Wayne's "YOUUUUUUU WINNNNN!"  not helping matters much, both shows sucked, and I'd have to say it was pretty much a dead heat.

rugrats1

Dan Enright Productions
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 07:37:19 PM »
In TTD90's case, the game itself was okay -- it was Patrick Wayne, no cat's game jackpot carryovers and the childish theme (one of Mancini's last works before his death) that made the show bad.

Joker 90's the one that should be truly demonised, since they changed the game from "Knowledge is king and lady luck is queen" to, as we're supposed to all know, "a game of definitions".

zachhoran

Dan Enright Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 07:44:28 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Nov 19 2005, 07:15 PM\']I'm largely unfamiliar with the last 'Tic Tac Dough' and 'The Jokers Wild.' Which one seems to have the lower reputation over time?
[/quote]

TTD90 has the lower reputation around these parts. BTW, Dan Enright had zero involvement in TJW90(it was Kline and Friends/Jack Barry Productions). The B&E Productions banner was on TTD90, but just how much work the then-aging Enright did on it is up for speculation.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 07:46:57 PM by zachhoran »

The Ol' Guy

Dan Enright Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 08:06:30 PM »
Yes, Dan did mount the TTD90 production. Got a letter from him after the pilot was shot, saying he was pleased. Guess that puts him in a slim category of folks. I almost forgot about Dan's two last gasp game shows, "All About The Opposite Sex" and "Hold Everything", "Hold" being another reworking of his All About Faces format. If I remember correctly, he got WOR TV  to take it on for a trial run, maybe a couple of others stations. Haven't seen either one of the shows, but by their descriptions in the EOTVGS, it doesn't sound like they set the world on fire.

BrandonFG

Dan Enright Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 08:47:07 PM »
[/quote]
Well, TJW at least got to finish the season out...don't know how much of that was reruns, but TTD was cancelled midway thru the season.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Dan Enright Productions
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 11:10:29 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 19 2005, 07:44 PM\']TTD90 has the lower reputation around these parts. [/quote]
Says you.

Why not give other people the chance to respond, before making a mass assumption?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Dan Enright Productions
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2005, 11:14:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Nov 20 2005, 12:10 AM\']Why not give other people the chance to respond, before making a mass assumption?
[snapback]102666[/snapback]
[/quote]

Mark, please don't tell me you thought TTD90 was worth anything.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Dan Enright Productions
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 11:24:53 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Nov 19 2005, 11:14 PM\']Mark, please don't tell me you thought TTD90 was worth anything.
[/quote]
While the host sucked; I didn't think the format was bad at all; the resetting jackpot isn't that big of a deal...and the "Dragonslayer" was similar to geting "Tic" and "Tac".

But enjoyed The Joker's Wild from that year too, so it might just be me.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Dan Enright Productions
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2005, 11:28:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Nov 20 2005, 12:24 AM\']While the host sucked; I didn't think the format was bad at all; the resetting jackpot isn't that big of a deal...and the "Dragonslayer" was similar to geting "Tic" and "Tac".
[snapback]102668[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'll give it to ya on some of that...the only redeeming thing was the front game format. I can't be that generous with the jackpot reset, though...coulda helped a litle to have it accumulate.

They didn't do a lot of thinking when they put TTD90 together, I'll say.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Don Howard

Dan Enright Productions
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 11:29:55 PM »
The 1990 edition of Tic Tac Dough is one of the few times in all my born natural when I was not upset to see a game show go off the air. Even if it did mean Hard Copy taking over the time period in my area.
The Joker's Wild did realize their error as they knocked out the money amounts on the board and replaced those windows with categories, making it closer to the game we truly did "well know".
As a contestant, they even brought back JOKER! JOKER! JOKER! JOKER! JOKER! Boy Peter Nagel, which allowed Pat Finn the opportunity to pay tribute to Jack Barry.
New shows ran from September 1990 to early June 1991 and "choice shows" (a.k.a. reruns of the first thirteen weeks) ran until the plug was pulled on that and many other games {inexplicably Davidson Pyramid survived} by the autumnal season of 1991.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 11:10:56 AM by Don Howard »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Dan Enright Productions
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2005, 11:38:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Nov 19 2005, 08:10 PM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 19 2005, 07:44 PM\']TTD90 has the lower reputation around these parts. [/quote]
Says you.

Why not give other people the chance to respond, before making a mass assumption?
[snapback]102666[/snapback]
[/quote]
While I agree that Zach all too often uses the royal "we" in a pathetic attempt to include himself in a crowd that has no interest in having him as a member, in this case, he's right.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Casey

Dan Enright Productions
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2005, 11:43:38 PM »
How long into the run of TJW90 did they switch to the more traditional format?  I barely remember it, but I do remember that I liked it better when they fixed it.  Did the bonus round also switch?  I seem to remember a format very similar to the original CBS TJW bonus round where they spun and there were prizes on the wheels, but I'm having a hard time remembering the details.

Don Howard

Dan Enright Productions
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2005, 11:49:34 PM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' date=\'Nov 19 2005, 11:43 PM\']How long into the run of TJW90 did they switch to the more traditional format?  I barely remember it, but I do remember that I liked it better when they fixed it.  Did the bonus round also switch?  I seem to remember a format very similar to the original CBS TJW bonus round where they spun and there were prizes on the wheels, but I'm having a hard time remembering the details.
[snapback]102673[/snapback]
[/quote]
January or February 1991 was when the closer to the classic format came around.
As for the bonus round, they left that as it was. Match three prizes and you win them. Match three jokers and you break the jackpot which began at $5000 and rose by $500 each telecast it was unwon. As I recall, it reached $36K once.
Do please correct me if I'm mistaken, but could players continue until defeated on this version? The longest I remember someone lasting is Jack (something--starts with a C) who I think went ten or so days before being dethroned.
As a post-script, a guy named Loy Ray was a contestant once. And only once.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 11:53:11 PM by Don Howard »

FOXSportsFan

Dan Enright Productions
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2005, 01:36:08 AM »
The line of questioning for Joker's Wild 90 is really hated only because it wasn't the line of questioning on your father's Joker's Wild.  I think in some respects the definition questioning was unique and a nice change of pace...that said, the end game still irks me a little.  It's kind of like Gary Kroeger's Newlywed Game.  If it was called something aside from "The Newlywed Game", people probably would have been more receptive to it.  Same for Joker 90.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 01:37:18 AM by FOXSportsFan »