Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Marathon - USA  (Read 10270 times)

itiparanoid13

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2005, 02:55:59 PM »
Man, we're getting a lot of traditional shows recently.  Deal or No Deal, Distraction, this marathon.  Next up is hopefully Super Millionaire.....

uncamark

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2005, 03:05:01 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 01:01 PM\']Just read the Variety article:

*This is a Freemantle thing in association with Granada.  So I would assume only Freemantle shows, since I do not believe Granada owns any U.S. formats.
[snapback]102749[/snapback]
[/quote]

To break it down, Granada, thanks to mergers, owns "Golden Shot" (an ATV show) and "Bullseye" (Central, ATV's successor).  I guess Fremantle owns "Take Your Pick" by virtue of Thames being formed out of a merger of Rediffusion and British ABC--you know how they own the other shows in the UK version.

Ralph Andrews did have the U.S. rights to "Golden Shot," but they probably expired a long time ago and Mark Phillips, the guy who now owns the Andrews formats save "Liars' Club," probably doesn't have that one in his collection.

remlap

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2005, 03:08:53 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 09:05 PM\'][quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 01:01 PM\']Just read the Variety article:

*This is a Freemantle thing in association with Granada.  So I would assume only Freemantle shows, since I do not believe Granada owns any U.S. formats.
[/quote]

To break it down, Granada, thanks to mergers, owns "Golden Shot" (an ATV show) and "Bullseye" (Central, ATV's successor).  I guess Fremantle owns "Take Your Pick" by virtue of Thames being formed out of a merger of Rediffusion and British ABC--you know how they own the other shows in the UK version.

Ralph Andrews did have the U.S. rights to "Golden Shot," but they probably expired a long time ago and Mark Phillips, the guy who now owns the Andrews formats save "Liars' Club," probably doesn't have that one in his collection.
[snapback]102760[/snapback]
[/quote]

No they dont Granada which is now all but really a production arm of ITV plc doesnt actually own the licences to any of the old back archives Carlton bought up, Carlton does.

Old shows that are bought up by "Hellton" are still said to be from them (ATV/ITC Stuff)

Please note I hate Carlton for destroying Harlech TV and everything ITV Plc stands for.

Fremantle and Granada are getting chummy these days arent they.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 03:14:17 PM by remlap »

uncamark

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2005, 03:15:55 PM »
[quote name=\'remlap\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 02:08 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 09:05 PM\'][quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 01:01 PM\']Just read the Variety article:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not they dont Granada which is now all but really a production arm of ITV plc doesnt actually own the licences to any of the old back archives Carlton bought up, Carlton does.

Old shows that are bought up by "Hellton" are still said to be from them (ATV/ITC Stuff)
[snapback]102761[/snapback]
[/quote]

But isn't ITV plc a merger of Carlton and Granada?  Are Carlton and Granada still kept as separate production and syndication units?

Stackertosh

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2005, 03:25:53 PM »
who will be hosting this show ant and dec?or the original hosts

remlap

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2005, 03:27:48 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 09:15 PM\'][quote name=\'remlap\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 02:08 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 09:05 PM\'][quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 01:01 PM\']Just read the Variety article:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not they dont Granada which is now all but really a production arm of ITV plc doesnt actually own the licences to any of the old back archives Carlton bought up, Carlton does.

[snapback]102761[/snapback]
[/quote]

But isn't ITV plc a merger of Carlton and Granada?  Are Carlton and Granada still kept as separate production and syndication units?
[snapback]102764[/snapback]
[/quote]

Exactly right mate.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2005, 04:29:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Stackertosh\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 12:25 PM\']who will be hosting this show ant and dec?or the original hosts
[snapback]102765[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes, CBS is going to put two guys on the air for a tribute to game-show nostalgia that about four people in the country have heard of.

It must be awfully dark with your head that far up there.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 04:29:58 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Stackertosh

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2005, 08:37:57 PM »
i was just asking who will host it not one of your cheap insults.

clemon79

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2005, 09:27:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Stackertosh\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 05:37 PM\']i was just asking who will host it not one of your cheap insults.
[snapback]102798[/snapback]
[/quote]
I assure you, my insults are NOT cheap. I just charge the Forum a bulk rate. :)

SamPrainito

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2005, 09:33:20 PM »
Keeping in mind that I'm totally ignorant to the UK Game Show Marathon, I think it's a great concept for the US if it's done correctly.

First, no celebrity contestants.  I dunno about the UK, but celeb contestants have been done to death in the states.  Granted, this would be an excellent promotional vehichle for CBS shows and their stars.  Use them only in games that require celebrity players (Match Game, Password, etc.)  I'd do the show at Studio 33, with contestants from the audience, using the same interviewing procedures as TPIR.

Also, Bob Barker should host, assuming he's willing.  Call it "Bob Barker's Game Show Marathon", or bring back the title "Bob Barker's Fun & Games Show".

Hopefully the shows being done will be done in the the "traditional" formats we're used to, and not the bastardized versions of G-T formats Fremantle has piloted and produced in recent years.

-Sam

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2005, 10:10:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Stackertosh\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 08:37 PM\']i was just asking who will host it not one of your cheap insults.
[/quote]
Perhaps if you put some thought into what you posted; and didn't type like a moron, people wouldn't give you such a hard time.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2005, 10:47:08 PM »
[quote name=\'SamPrainito\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 06:33 PM\']Also, Bob Barker should host, assuming he's willing.
[snapback]102810[/snapback]
[/quote]
Why?

I mean, really. Tell me why this should be.

'Cuz he's Bob Barker and therefore superhuman? He can't host his OWN show without screwing up, what makes you think he could do five different ones?

Part of me would like to see it, just to see the Barker apologists around here eat a nice big reality sammich when they see the WGMC stumble through the Speed Round in Sale.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 10:47:29 PM by clemon79 »

Peter Sarrett

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2005, 11:26:26 PM »
This sounds like a lot of fun, and I'll certainly be watching.  But...

I wanna PLAY!

Stinkin' celebrity shows.  Quick, someone make me famous!

Jimmy Owen

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2005, 12:15:57 AM »
I suggested Bob B. for a number of reasons: he has a connection to the days when daytime game shows were plentiful, he's been connected with CBS for at least 35 years (counting his pageant work), he is a household name, and with him, there is the chance that TPIR could be one of the games.  I can't think of anyone else working for CBS right now who would be as adept with a multi-game format.  I like Bergeron, too, but he may have too many ABC ties right now.  I suppose Regis could fly in for a taping.  They don't have necessarily mount $ale.

Of course, they may also decide to go snarky and ironic, so that would open up a huge field of comedian-types.

Who would you suggest, Chris?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 12:30:41 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2005, 12:34:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 09:15 PM\']I suggested Bob B. for a number of reasons: he has a connection to the days when daytime game shows were plentiful, he's been connected with CBS for at least 35 years (counting his pageant work), he is a household name, and with him, there is the chance that TPIR could be one of the games.
[/quote]
...and he can't do the job.
I can't think of anyone else working for CBS right now who would be as adept with a multi-game format.
I still have yet to see a good reason why you think Bob CAN. Do you see Bob hosting Password? Pyramid? PYL?
Who would you suggest, Chris?
Not mine to suggest. But I damn sure would come up with a boatload of names before Barker.