Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What ever happened to "Win Ken Jennings's Money"?  (Read 2589 times)

Patrick S

What ever happened to "Win Ken Jennings's Money"?
« on: August 08, 2006, 04:39:48 PM »
Remember Comedy Central saying they were going to produce a game show with Ken as host, and that it would be "similar" to Win Ben Stein's Money?  Anything ever come of that?  Didn't they contract Ken, or did it never leave the planning stages?  Anyone know anything about this?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 05:09:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Patrick S\' post=\'126641\' date=\'Aug 8 2006, 04:39 PM\']
Remember Comedy Central saying they were going to produce a game show with Ken as host, and that it would be "similar" to Win Ben Stein's Money?  Anything ever come of that?  Didn't they contract Ken, or did it never leave the planning stages?  Anyone know anything about this?[/quote]
Ken mentioned on his blog, and Comedy Central confirmed, that they're not going to do the show.  I think it got as far as taping a pilot, or at least a formal run-through.  Some of our members were involved, I believe.  They could probably tell you more.

Welcome to our forum, Patrick.  I hope you'll like it here.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Patrick S

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 07:07:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'126644\' date=\'Aug 8 2006, 05:09 PM\']

Ken mentioned on his blog, and Comedy Central confirmed, that they're not going to do the show.  I think it got as far as taping a pilot, or at least a formal run-through.  Some of our members were involved, I believe.  They could probably tell you more.

Welcome to our forum, Patrick.  I hope you'll like it here.
[/quote]

Ah, too bad.  It would have been the coolest thing to see a game show contestand turned into a host, solely because of his contestant reign.  And thanks for the welcome!

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 02:37:11 AM »
Yes, I can give you a better idea of the run-through, since I was there with Chuck Donegan and Robert Brown (a Sonic friend of mine) to see it.

The working title of the show was Ken Jennings VS. The Rest of the World. Click here and you'll find out all about the run-through and how it was supposed to work and look.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

comicus

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 10:51:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Patrick S\' post=\'126657\' date=\'Aug 8 2006, 07:07 PM\']
Ah, too bad.  It would have been the coolest thing to see a game show contestand turned into a host.
[/quote]

Blake Emmons.

No thanks.

(Granted, KenJen's endeavor would have had a decidedly more pleasant twist, and he certainly has more personality... but yeah.)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 11:09:10 AM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'126712\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 07:51 AM\']
Blake Emmons.

No thanks.
[/quote]
Mike Reilly didn't work out so well either. (Yes, he was just a runthrough contestant, but still. Close enough.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

goongas

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 11:09:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Patrick S\' post=\'126657\' date=\'Aug 8 2006, 07:07 PM\']
Ah, too bad.  It would have been the coolest thing to see a game show contestand turned into a host, solely because of his contestant reign.  And thanks for the welcome!
[/quote]

Ken wouldn't have been a host.  He remained a player the entire game.

cmjb13

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 11:15:47 AM »
Hypothetically speaking, would it have been a violation (ethical or legal) to start working with Ken on this project while his run was still in progress?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 04:27:14 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'126716\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 08:15 AM\']
Hypothetically speaking, would it have been a violation (ethical or legal) to start working with Ken on this project while his run was still in progress?
[/quote]
Why would it be?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 06:40:17 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'126714\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 10:09 AM\']

Mike Reilly didn't work out so well either. (Yes, he was just a runthrough contestant, but still. Close enough.)
[/quote]

I seem to recall that Rielly was a losing contestant on "Jeopardy!" around 1989.

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor