Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trying out for a game show?  (Read 10162 times)

dzinkin

Trying out for a game show?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2005, 11:25:24 PM »
Consider the possibility that some members may exist for the amusement of others.

Mind you, I'm not specifying anyone in particular, just asking that the idea be explored.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005, 01:53:15 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 11:25 PM\']Consider the possibility that some members may exist for the amusement of others.

Mind you, I'm not specifying anyone in particular, just asking that the idea be explored.[/quote]

I will attempt to be equally vague in noting that the "amusement of others" often leads to the aggravation of yet others.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2005, 11:12:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 02:53 AM\'][quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 11:25 PM\']Consider the possibility that some members may exist for the amusement of others.

Mind you, I'm not specifying anyone in particular, just asking that the idea be explored.[/quote]

I will attempt to be equally vague in noting that the "amusement of others" often leads to the aggravation of yet others.[/quote]
Which, in turn, amuses others.

It's the circle of life.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2005, 11:15:48 AM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 12:06 AM\']I propose that posts like the above ought to be grounds for immediate banning, and that all prospective members be required to read it as an example of unacceptable posting.

Anyone who'd babble about "Human Rights Codes" and "Rights to Free Speech" are simply not going to contribute anything useful here.  Ever.

If this is an unreasonable request, I'd really like to know why.
[snapback]102827[/snapback]
[/quote]

So let me get this straight, melman- you've largely ignored most of the stuff jhuhn has contributed and are willing to ban him/her based on what they said?

And don't get me started on "unacceptable posting" and you, Jack, because you have no room to talk.

It was one slip (an extremely moronic slip at that), and even though I want to smack jhuhn as well, I'm not going to call for his banning.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 11:18:29 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Ian Wallis

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2005, 11:50:30 AM »
It's the circle of life.

It's the Wheel of Fortune...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2005, 02:35:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 10:50 AM\']
It's the circle of life.

It's the Wheel of Fortune...
[snapback]102884[/snapback]
[/quote]

Just look at this jungle, filled with fabulous prizes!  Valuable and exciting merchandise, including...

Don Howard

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2005, 02:57:15 PM »
Meanwhile, all the way back to topic.....
Judging from the God-awful way I played my all-time favorite game last summer {$ale of the Century starring Joe Van Ginkel} getting two answers and a Fame Game right (at least I know my Mariska Hargitay trivia) at Congrefs IV, I haven't been a contestant because I'd be awful.
The knowledge and reflexes just aren't there for me. It has nothing to do with birth rights being violated. I flunked the tests for $otc, The Challengers and Jeopardy! (3 times for that one) and passed the one for Press Your Luck because while I can put on an enthusiasm show, when it's time to impart the smarts, it's just not among my gifts.
It's not a case of feeling sorry for myself either....it's merely an instance of having things work out in other areas of my existence and not that one. Besides, I'd rather bomb the test than pass and go on to look like a dope before an audience of millions. I still love the genre and am a considerably better spectactor. I don't feel cheated one bit.
Truth be told, however, if I could do a mind-meld with Ken Jennings, I'd try out again for J! in a heartbeat.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2005, 03:38:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 01:57 PM\']It's not a case of feeling sorry for myself either....it's merely an instance of having things work out in other areas of my existence and not that one. Besides, I'd rather bomb the test than pass and go on to look like a dope before an audience of millions. I still love the genre and am a considerably better spectactor. I don't feel cheated one bit.
[snapback]102912[/snapback]
[/quote]
I think that paragraph sums it up perfectly for me as well.  I had posted something about this a while back in which I said something along those lines, but darned if I could find it right now.  Oh wait, I just found it.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

rebelwrest

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2006, 11:06:39 PM »
Might as well bump this thread rather than start a new one.  Anyhow, Millionaire is having tryouts in Pittsburgh (Station Square) and the site says tryouts are from 9 AM to 4 PM.  This is my first tryout for a game show and I have a few questions.  

What time do you think I should get to the location to be guaranteed a tryout?

What should I bring to the tryout (any certain identification)?

Is anyone else going to this tryout?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks to anyone who gives out tips.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

tidefan12

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 12:15:54 AM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'126818\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 10:06 PM\']

What time do you think I should get to the location to be guaranteed a tryout?

What should I bring to the tryout (any certain identification)?

Is anyone else going to this tryout?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks to anyone who gives out tips.
[/quote]

I did the one in Nashville about 3 weeks ago.  Might be comparing apples and oranges here in terms of number of participants and other factors, but based on Music City here's what I'd suggest.....

1) There were already several hundred people lined up when I arrived around 8:30 that morning.  I think they take groups of about 150 at a time.  You'll take the Movie Week test first and then the general knowledge test.  I was already backed up to the 3rd group 30 minutes before things began, but I noticed the crowd had died considerably when I left around 1:00 that afternoon.  It might be less time consuming to wait until later in the day.  

2) I think photo ID, i.e. driver's license, is the only identification they require.  

3) As mentioned earlier in this thread, game show auditions fall under "casting calls" as much as they do IQ tests.  I've been lucky enough to appear on the only two shows I've auditioned for in person (Pyramid and Weakest Link).  I couldn't really tell you what the producers of either saw in me, but I think just being yourself and having at least one thing that makes you unique and relatable to a TV audience is as important as anything else.  It seemed like the Millionaire folks are looking for regular Joes over brainiacs, but being a little of both would probably increase your odds.  

Hope that helps!  Best of luck!

Shane Elsberry

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006, 12:22:13 AM »
It always helps to have a sense of humor and a funny story.  I have at least one of those (and the other is subjective)

Going to LA just to try out for a game show is pretty stupid, so there is truth in there.

We sure this isn't plagarized?
This signature is currently under construction.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2006, 12:36:39 AM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'126818\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 11:06 PM\']
Might as well bump this thread rather than start a new one.  Anyhow, Millionaire is having tryouts in Pittsburgh (Station Square) and the site says tryouts are from 9 AM to 4 PM.  This is my first tryout for a game show and I have a few questions.  
[/quote]

First of all, I have a question.

Did you read the first post in this thread? jhuhn went on a rant as to how game show tryouts are held, going as far as to say that some of them violate human rights. (And if THAT didn't tip you off, the byline in the post should have.)

You would have been better off creating a new thread. That's what most people do in this case.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 12:37:13 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2006, 01:00:08 AM »
I agree, although this was a fun trip down memory lane if only for the ridiculous subject matter. New thread indeed.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

comicus

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2006, 01:02:48 AM »
I feel dirty having read that post.  The same kind of dirty feeling I get after reading a Molly Ivins column.

Someone didn't pass the Jeopardy test...

/is 1-for-7 at auditions
//won't make it on WWTBAM when it comes to Pittsburgh

rebelwrest

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2006, 01:44:50 AM »
Sorry
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.