Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Greed  (Read 5706 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Greed
« on: November 23, 2005, 01:41:18 PM »
Can the players say "I don't know what the answer is, but I know for sure that it's NOT thus-and-so"? From reports I've heard, the players were not allowed to do much more than nod approval to their captain on the "greed-or-quit" scenario, and had even less freedom of expression during the play of the questions.
Travis L. Eberle

beatlefreak84

Greed
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 10:39:35 PM »
I'm almost positive there was a rule against that, especially with the multi-answer questions.  Let's say, for example, you had one of those questions.  Without a rule set forth, what's to stop a smart contestant from saying, "Well, I could say (A) or (B) or ©, but I'm going to say (D)?"  The whole point of the question part was for each contestant to answer individually and show he/she knew a little something; after all, they're not going to give away $2 million because you have one smart person on your team!

Most of this is admittedly speculation, but I don't see a producer, especially of a big-money game show, thinking any other way...

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Matt Ottinger

Greed
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 11:29:23 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Nov 23 2005, 11:39 PM\']I'm almost positive there was a rule against that, especially with the multi-answer questions.  Let's say, for example, you had one of those questions.  Without a rule set forth, what's to stop a smart contestant from saying, "Well, I could say (A) or (B) or ©, but I'm going to say (D)?"  The whole point of the question part was for each contestant to answer individually and show he/she knew a little something; after all, they're not going to give away $2 million because you have one smart person on your team![/quote]
In my view, the biggest problem with Greed was that it was rushed to air so quickly that they really didn't have time to shake out all these sorts of nuances before examples of them started happening on the show.  Sure, there was a rule that the captain couldn't consult with the other players, but I remember an instance where a player clearly indicated to the captain which answer needed to be swapped.

Another huge awkward issue was the Terminator, and whether a player could buzz in before the question was finished.  The original rule was that you had to wait, but when somebody actually went and did it, and then had to be told that he lost because he buzzed in too early, the whole thing was just so icky that they changed the rule.  Perhaps with a few dozen more run-throughs, a lot of stuff like that would have been worked out.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

davidhammett

Greed
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 11:16:21 AM »
It was certainly the case that with the multiple answer questions, a contestant was not allowed to talk about any other answers except the one he was giving, as it would tip off the teammates.

Matt is right that they tried to work most of those kinks out of the show beforehand, but some you just couldn't predict.  One that springs to mind was an incident where a team captain acknowledged that he heard an answer from the audience for the $200K question.  This is not allowed, of course, so they had to scrap the question and replace it with another one.

However, the new question was in a different category, which in turn might affect whether or not the team would go for it.  As a result, the show had to go all the way back to the "You've just won $100K; here is your category for $200K -- will you play on?" moment.  This also meant that the player who had just been eliminated via the Terminator was brought back on as part of the team -- and that a new Terminator round ended up happening!  (I don't remember if someone new got eliminated, but I believe that's what happened.)

The consensus was that the captain simply decided he didn't like the original $200K question, and so he feigned hearing an answer so it would get replaced.  It was all for naught, however; the team subsequently missed the replacement question anyway.  (The fiasco with the original question, of course, did not air.)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Greed
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 05:41:56 PM »
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' date=\'Nov 25 2005, 08:16 AM\']The consensus was that the captain simply decided he didn't like the original $200K question, and so he feigned hearing an answer so it would get replaced.  It was all for naught, however; the team subsequently missed the replacement question anyway.  (The fiasco with the original question, of course, did not air.)
[snapback]103141[/snapback]
[/quote]
If that's the case, I have to give the dude credit, because that's REALLY clever.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

thgames65

Greed
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 05:49:24 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 25 2005, 05:41 PM\'][quote name=\'davidhammett\' date=\'Nov 25 2005, 08:16 AM\']The consensus was that the captain simply decided he didn't like the original $200K question, and so he feigned hearing an answer so it would get replaced.  It was all for naught, however; the team subsequently missed the replacement question anyway.  (The fiasco with the original question, of course, did not air.)
[snapback]103141[/snapback]
[/quote]
If that's the case, I have to give the dude credit, because that's REALLY clever.
[snapback]103159[/snapback]
[/quote]

I would have another term for that maneuver:  CHEATING.

Tim H.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Greed
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 05:58:59 PM »
[quote name=\'thgames65\' date=\'Nov 25 2005, 02:49 PM\']I would have another term for that maneuver:  CHEATING.
[snapback]103161[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh, I'm not saying it's not, or that it was morally acceptable, or that I would ever do it myself. I'm just saying that it was a damned clever way to go about it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

Greed
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 07:43:51 PM »
Did the person won won $10,000 off the Terminator had to give back his/her money?

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

davidhammett

Greed
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 08:16:46 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Nov 25 2005, 07:43 PM\']Did the person won won $10,000 off the Terminator had to give back his/her money?

-Joe R.
[snapback]103169[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't remember... certainly Standards and Practices approved whatever happened; like I said, it may have been the case that they forced the Terminator to stop on the same person the second time around, but I'm not sure.

Neumms

Greed
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 10:03:14 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 25 2005, 05:58 PM\']I'm just saying that it was a damned clever way to go about it.
[snapback]103163[/snapback]
[/quote]

Damned clever, though the producers shouldn't have gone for it. After all, once you hit the team questions with multiple answers, they weren't exactly "knowable" questions. Sure, some guy from the audience yells out "tuna" as one of the five most recognizable smells, but who's to say he's right?

Matt Ottinger

Greed
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 11:42:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Nov 25 2005, 11:03 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 25 2005, 05:58 PM\']I'm just saying that it was a damned clever way to go about it.[/quote]
Damned clever, though the producers shouldn't have gone for it. After all, once you hit the team questions with multiple answers, they weren't exactly "knowable" questions. Sure, some guy from the audience yells out "tuna" as one of the five most recognizable smells, but who's to say he's right?[/quote]
One, you're completely missing the point.  Several points, as a matter of fact.

Two, you're way off base, even on the part you DO get.  If an answer comes from the audience on any show where answers aren't supposed to come from the audience, they can't use the question.  Who's to say he's right?  Well, who's to say he's wrong?  It just creates too much of a problem.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Robert Hutchinson

Greed
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2005, 02:21:18 AM »
Two-B, that's just the basic case of "random idiot in audience", even. What if random idiot and captain colluded before the show?

Three, as much as we love hyperbole around here, Greed did occasionally ask actual knowledge questions at $200K and beyond.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin