Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Betting Pool...  (Read 7066 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Betting Pool...
« on: November 28, 2005, 07:18:12 PM »
Based on the promos you've seen, etc...how long do you think DoND will last?  I say 5 days and done, based on the fact the game has no meat to it at all.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 07:22:20 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

LA the DJ

Betting Pool...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 07:23:18 PM »
5 eps. This show is a lot of glitz wrapped around zero game. NBC had no patience with LMaD. 5 and out.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

cmjb13

Betting Pool...
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 07:50:45 PM »
Some shows may not be self contained, so in that aspect, it might stand a better chance.

Plus since they are airing back to back and burned off in one shot, rather than scattered over several weeks, that's also a plus.

But my hunch says it's pulled after 3.

We shall see.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

beatlefreak84

Betting Pool...
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 08:09:16 PM »
I think people will certainly tune in to the first few episodes to see what all of the hype and glitz is about, but, once people see it's essentially a long, drawn-out version of LMAD (which probably gets quite boring once the big money is out of the picture!), I expect the masses to tune out pretty quickly.

I'd like the show to succeed, sure, but I suspect this five-episode run will be its last (in the US, at least).

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

MCArroyo1

Betting Pool...
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 08:58:35 PM »
I don't think they'll pull out after three-- it's not like we're in sweeps.  But unless it REALLY takes off, the show probably won't go past the original five.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Betting Pool...
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 09:31:10 PM »
I don't think we're being cynical or jaded when we all seem to predict doom. I'd love for it to succeed, but all the flags are up in my head saying this run is it for the show.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

aaron sica

Betting Pool...
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 09:45:28 PM »
I'm going to be bold and say it's pulled before its first airing.

curtking

Betting Pool...
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 09:56:14 PM »
I'm going to go way out on a limb and say the show gets a second run as a special event in the spring.

I believe the show has a chance to attract some viewers during a quiet TV week before Christmas.  Almost nothing will be new except for Christmas specials.

Most likely, the show will peak in viewership with the second or third episode, but it may hang on to enough viewers to get one more go-round.

Admittedly, most of this is pure hope.  But what better time of the year to hope?

Curt

Speedy G

Betting Pool...
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 10:18:00 PM »
If this were on ABC I'd be optimistic about its chances for a second run to fill a hole somewhere.

Unfortunately, it's on NBC, what looks to be the network least friendly to a game show format right now.  It's gonna take some buzz or a ratings surprise for it to return.  And with the leadup to the holiday weekend, the ratings are more than likely going to decrease as the week goes on.
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Betting Pool...
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 11:10:54 PM »
There was another game show, several years ago, that really didn't have a lot of game to it. It was just a series of questions, and after hearing each one the player decided whether to answer it or leave with any monies they had accumulated to that point.

It seems to have worked out fairly well.

Would you people JUST ONCE wait until a show AIRS before preaching gloom and doom?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Betting Pool...
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 11:21:54 PM »
Not much game? That describes a LOT of game shows, some of which have done pretty well. At least DoND sounds like it has some suspense.

Let the ratings tell the story. I think NBC still kinda needs a hit...they have "My Name is Earl" and "The Office", but they're still in 3rd as a network, last time I checked.

Unless this show does worse than Martha's "Apprentice", then there should be some hope.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

LA the DJ

Betting Pool...
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 11:25:21 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 11:10 PM\']There was another game show, several years ago, that really didn't have a lot of game to it. It was just a series of questions, and after hearing each one the player decided whether to answer it or leave with any monies they had accumulated to that point.

It seems to have worked out fairly well.

Would you people JUST ONCE wait until a show AIRS before preaching gloom and doom?
[snapback]103429[/snapback]
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with discussion of the future of this show. That's what we're here to do; discuss.

Interesting you make the millionaire comparison, though. That show had the suspense that DonD supposedly has...But it also had intelligence and playalong factor. Making that comparison, DonD is 1/3 of what WWtbaM is. Unless you think picking your own number is playalong factor, then it's 2/3.

It's one thing to be positive about the future of gameshows, as perhaps we all should try to be. It's another thing to pretend a presented format is a good idea, whan it's not.

Bottom line is that it's a glorified lottery show and nothing more.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Betting Pool...
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 11:30:55 PM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 08:25 PM\']Nothing wrong with discussion of the future of this show. That's what we're here to do; discuss.

[snapback]103435[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't disagree. But I think there's a difference between saying that and saying it's gonna be pulled after 3 of the 5 eps that have already been shot.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

Betting Pool...
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 07:48:20 AM »
i'm in the camp that thinks that running this 5 days in a row .... is brilliant marketing .

Yes, it's a no-brainer show. But yes, there are A LOT of playalong opportunities for the home audience (much like WWTBAM)... and running the show daily for a week will give the audience an opportunity to jump on the bandwagon to watch, IF NBC plays into the momentum.... Something ABC did wonderfully back in August 1999.

Running this weekly for a month wouldn't give NBC that opportunity. And, Like WWTBAM's first run, it's being run during a week where original episodes of everything else are few and far between. That helps to give NBC something original to advertise....

Ad : "Last night, 12 Million people watched Joe Schmo turn down $300,000, only to win $1. What would you have done? Find out tonight, when one of these 200 people get asked the most imp. question of their lives : (Cue Clip from Howie) "Deal.....or no Deal?".

My Prediction : Ratings start okay, pick up through the week, and it gets a weekly run by February. Cause NBC doesn't have much else to bank on.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

cmjb13

Betting Pool...
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 08:34:11 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 11:30 PM\'][quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 08:25 PM\']Nothing wrong with discussion of the future of this show. That's what we're here to do; discuss.

[snapback]103435[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't disagree. But I think there's a difference between saying that and saying it's gonna be pulled after 3 of the 5 eps that have already been shot.
[snapback]103436[/snapback]
[/quote]
True. But I've seen 3 of the 5 episodes. Granted not in edited form.

I hope I'm wrong.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS