Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Daytime Television  (Read 5314 times)

alfonzos

Daytime Television
« on: November 28, 2005, 08:18:53 PM »
Page 69 of this week's Entertainment Weekly contains an analysis of daytime ratings. In a nutshell, the article implies that all three major networks have something to crow about. CBS has had the top rated soap for seventeen consecutive years. ABC has the lead in the conveted 18- to 49-year-old women demographic. NBC is the daytime leader overall.

This implies that none of the networks will be making any changes in their schedules anytime soon. At least not in the afternnon.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

aaron sica

Daytime Television
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 08:38:07 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 08:18 PM\']
This implies that none of the networks will be making any changes in their schedules anytime soon. At least not in the afternnon.
[snapback]103372[/snapback]
[/quote]

I would intend to agree. CBS has not made any changes in the 12:30-4pm window since 3/23/87 (when B&B premiered at 1:30pm, moving ATWT to the 2pm-3pm timeslot), and ABC has not made any changes in the 1pm-4pm window since January 1978 (when OLTL and GH expanded to 60 minutes each from 45 minutes, and $20K Pyramid moved from 2pm to noon).

zachhoran

Daytime Television
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 09:05:50 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 08:18 PM\']Page 69 of this week's Entertainment Weekly contains an analysis of daytime ratings. In a nutshell, the article implies that all three major networks have something to crow about. CBS has had the top rated soap for seventeen consecutive years. ABC has the lead in the conveted 18- to 49-year-old women demographic. NBC is the daytime leader overall.

[snapback]103372[/snapback]
[/quote]

How long has NBC been the number one of the big three in daytime, and when was the last time before now NBC was number in daytime? Seems as though it was CBS or ABC that was the top network in daytime for the last two decades of non-TPIR daytime game shows.

Neumms

Daytime Television
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 04:06:08 PM »
NBC hitting #1 is a striking development, given that they've been sucking wind (and turning hours back to the affiliates) for years. Does the third hour of "Today" count? Or, for that matter, do the morning news shows all count in the "daytime" rating?

Also, either TV Guide or something else in the checkout said recently that "Guiding Light" is the lowest rated hour in daytime, and that its future is on the rocks. So that would be one hour up for grabs. I suspect, however, if it went away, CBS would simply lengthen "Bold and Beautiful" to an hour and not program the other 30 minutes.

aaron sica

Daytime Television
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 04:14:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Nov 29 2005, 04:06 PM\']Also, either TV Guide or something else in the checkout said recently that "Guiding Light" is the lowest rated hour in daytime, and that its future is on the rocks. So that would be one hour up for grabs. I suspect, however, if it went away, CBS would simply lengthen "Bold and Beautiful" to an hour and not program the other 30 minutes.
[snapback]103487[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's what I think would happen, too. Much like the other networks, 12:30 would not be programmed, Y&R would air from 1-2, ATWT stays airing from 2-3, and B&B airs from 3-4 or whatever time GL aired at (10am, etc.)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 04:15:01 PM by aaron sica »

Ian Wallis

Daytime Television
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 04:19:30 PM »
I think it's been reported that CBS has plans to expand "Bold & Beautiful" to an hour when they have room on their schedule.  I first heard this a few years ago, but, as was noted, they haven't made any changes in a long time so it's stuck at a half-hour for now.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 04:21:28 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

Daytime Television
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 04:24:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Nov 29 2005, 05:06 PM\']NBC hitting #1 is a striking development, given that they've been sucking wind (and turning hours back to the affiliates) for years. Does the third hour of "Today" count? Or, for that matter, do the morning news shows all count in the "daytime" rating? [/quote]
Aside from Days of Our Lives and Today, what exactly constitutes NBC's daytime lineup?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

aaron sica

Daytime Television
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 04:38:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 29 2005, 04:24 PM\']Aside from Days of Our Lives and Today, what exactly constitutes NBC's daytime lineup?
[snapback]103490[/snapback]
[/quote]

Throw in "Passions" and that's exactly what constitutes their daytime lineup.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Daytime Television
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 05:18:24 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Nov 29 2005, 03:14 PM\']That's what I think would happen, too. Much like the other networks, 12:30 would not be programmed, Y&R would air from 1-2, ATWT stays airing from 2-3, and B&B airs from 3-4 or whatever time GL aired at (10am, etc.)
[snapback]103488[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm not so sure.  I kinda think that's giving B&B a death sentence (or ATWT if they decide Y&R and B&B have to run back-to-back) because of the clearance issue.  I'd prolly be more inclined to keep B&B as a half-hour and give the affiliates the GL hour back (since more than a few affiliates take it to program syndie fare anyway).  If B&B staffers were offered GL's slot for an hour or the cushy half hour after Y&R, I'm not so sure they wouldn't take the half hour.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

NickS

Daytime Television
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 08:35:05 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Nov 29 2005, 04:38 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 29 2005, 04:24 PM\']Aside from Days of Our Lives and Today, what exactly constitutes NBC's daytime lineup?
[snapback]103490[/snapback]
[/quote]

Throw in "Passions" and that's exactly what constitutes their daytime lineup.
[snapback]103491[/snapback]
[/quote]

If you would like to get technical about it, Today -- or at least that third hour -- is considered part of daytime.  The first two hours is titled by Nielsen as "Today," while the third is "Today2," which probably was the moniker given when NBC started "Later Today."

uncamark

Daytime Television
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 04:53:45 PM »
And as for "B&B," I've heard that Bradley Bell doesn't want to go to an hour--he likes doing more compact storytelling in the half-hour format.  Of course, with his dad not there anymore to run interference with the suits, that may eventually change--but "GL," which in Chicago has the death slot against Oprah at 9 a.m., will have to leave first.

sshuffield70

Daytime Television
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 11:07:20 PM »
Why do I get the feeling it'll be a cold day in Hell before GL gets canned?  I mean, it's 68 years old.

Don Howard

Daytime Television
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 12:02:58 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Nov 30 2005, 11:07 PM\']Why do I get the feeling it'll be a cold day in Hell before GL gets canned?  I mean, it's 68 years old.
[snapback]103608[/snapback]
[/quote]
That is precisely what I believe has been saving its butt for many a blue moon. I know people who watch that the show because, in their words, "it's always been on". And the same with ATWT--50 years next April.
Further, I don't see CBS splitting up Y&R and B&B--they're produced by the same company and they give 'em the ratings.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 12:04:15 AM by Don Howard »

Ian Wallis

Daytime Television
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 08:48:49 AM »
That is precisely what I believe has been saving its butt for many a blue moon. I know people who watch that the show because, in their words, "it's always been on".

Hmmm....well maybe "Price is Right" will enjoy the same status whenever Barker decides to step down - because it's "always been on"  :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Don Howard

Daytime Television
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 09:33:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Dec 1 2005, 08:48 AM\']
That is precisely what I believe has been saving its butt for many a blue moon. I know people who watch that the show because, in their words, "it's always been on".
Hmmm....well maybe "Price is Right" will enjoy the same status whenever Barker decides to step down - because it's "always been on"  :)
[snapback]103626[/snapback]
[/quote]
That'd be nice, but Bob is THE central cast member on TPiR. GL has dozens of characters sharing the spotlight all over the place. Even the almighty Bauers seem to have drifted into the scenery over time and the show still staggers on.