Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Let's Make a Deal DVD?  (Read 4364 times)

catnap1972

Let's Make a Deal DVD?
« on: November 11, 2005, 09:00:03 AM »
I came across this while doing some searches for upcoming DVD releases.  Anyone know anything about it?

VideoETA link

Amazon link

zachhoran

Let's Make a Deal DVD?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 09:08:30 AM »
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' date=\'Nov 11 2005, 09:00 AM\']I came across this while doing some searches for upcoming DVD releases.  Anyone know anything about it?

VideoETA link

Amazon link
[snapback]101998[/snapback]
[/quote]

Seems to me, as the Videoeta site calls it Deal: Let's Make a Deal, that it might be a DVD release of the 70s documentary of behind the scenes of LMAD called Deal! It came out on VHS about a decade ago and has made its way to the game show trading circuit.

joe_capitano

Let's Make a Deal DVD?
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 06:17:23 PM »
Confirmed on said site by the use of the word "Documentary" below the release date - November 29.

ChuckNet

Let's Make a Deal DVD?
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 10:22:42 PM »
Confirmed on said site by the use of the word "Documentary" below the release date - November 29.

Good to see it on DVD...one wonders if they'll throw in some bonus features, like new interviews w/Monty, or maybe a brief history of the show.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Pyramid80

Let's Make a Deal DVD?
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 07:03:12 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Nov 11 2005, 09:22 PM\']

Good to see it on DVD...one wonders if they'll throw in some bonus features, like new interviews w/Monty, or maybe a brief history of the show.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
[snapback]102068[/snapback]
[/quote]
I see that there is cover art on the Amazon site for Deal.  The cover doesn't mention any interviews but there is a "Let's Make a Deal" trivia quiz.  Glad to see that another game show related DVD is being released!  Has anyone ordered this?

LA the DJ

Let's Make a Deal DVD?
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 06:52:15 AM »
I'm curious as to why the box art refers to LMaD as the "most controversial game show". Was there some sort of a scandal involving LMaD or is this just hype?
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

zachhoran

Let's Make a Deal DVD?
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 07:58:58 AM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Nov 30 2005, 06:52 AM\']I'm curious as to why the box art refers to LMaD as the "most controversial game show". Was there some sort of a scandal involving LMaD or is this just hype?
[snapback]103535[/snapback]
[/quote]

The biggest scandal involving LMAD in our memory would have been the 900 number LMAD game from the early 90s. A lot of contestants spent a fair amount of money(a couple bucks a minute), won prizes and cash, and when they even received prizes, got prizes worth less than what it had been announced they won. Hatos-Hall did not run the phone game, but MOnty did appear in two infomercials for the phone game, complete with clips from mid 80s LMAD(and a clip of a mid 70s Super Deal win including a Cadillac, an episode that GSN did not show in their three years of LMAD reruns). USA ran commercials a year or two after the phone game ended telling people who played and got scammed by the LMAD phone game to call an 800 number.

Mike Tennant

Let's Make a Deal DVD?
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 09:52:23 AM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Nov 30 2005, 06:52 AM\']I'm curious as to why the box art refers to LMaD as the "most controversial game show". Was there some sort of a scandal involving LMaD or is this just hype?
[snapback]103535[/snapback]
[/quote]
It's probably a combination of the two.  There's no doubt that critics hated the show and routinely pointed to it as some of the most base, greed-feeding programming on the air.  On the other hand, I'm sure we could all think of a few shows that were more controversial, such as Twenty-One or The $64,000 Question, so claiming LMAD is the most controversial game show is stretching things a bit.

Matt Ottinger

Let's Make a Deal DVD?
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 10:29:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Nov 30 2005, 10:52 AM\'][quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Nov 30 2005, 06:52 AM\']I'm curious as to why the box art refers to LMaD as the "most controversial game show". Was there some sort of a scandal involving LMaD or is this just hype?[/quote]
It's probably a combination of the two.  There's no doubt that critics hated the show and routinely pointed to it as some of the most base, greed-feeding programming on the air.  On the other hand, I'm sure we could all think of a few shows that were more controversial, such as Twenty-One or The $64,000 Question, so claiming LMAD is the most controversial game show is stretching things a bit.[/quote]
Hyperbole is nothing new for the program, however.  In his autobiography, Monty Hall referred to LMAD as "the most successful game show of all time", and I think a lot of us would have a hard time agreeing with that, even given the mid-seventies time frame of the book.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Let's Make a Deal DVD?
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 03:46:42 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 30 2005, 07:58 AM\']The biggest scandal involving LMAD in our memory would have been the 900 number LMAD game from the early 90s.
[/quote]
Which really has nothing to do with anything; I didn't even know that a phone game existed.  I'm sure this isn't the event that would make it "controversial".
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 03:47:09 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

uncamark

Let's Make a Deal DVD?
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 04:40:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Nov 30 2005, 02:46 PM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 30 2005, 07:58 AM\']The biggest scandal involving LMAD in our memory would have been the 900 number LMAD game from the early 90s.
[/quote]
Which really has nothing to do with anything; I didn't even know that a phone game existed.  I'm sure this isn't the event that would make it "controversial".
[snapback]103561[/snapback]
[/quote]

As stated, the claim to "controversial" is that "LMAD" was the 60s and 70s entrant in the "Unscripted Program as Decline and Fall of Western Civilization" category--after "T or C" on radio, "Strike It Rich," "Queen For a Day" and the original "TPIR" in the 50s, "That's Incredible!" in the 80s, "Studs" and the Jerry/Ricki/Jenny school of talk shows in the 90s and "Survivor" and whatever Mike Darnell comes up with at Fox today.  Of course, "LMAD" looks so innocent today, but then it was considered the depths of degradation, even if Monty kept saying that it was purely the contesants' choice to dress up and they never told the contestants that they had to scream and jump up and down.