Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 100 Most Unexpected TV Moments  (Read 8612 times)

johnnya2k3

100 Most Unexpected TV Moments
« on: December 06, 2005, 01:24:30 AM »
All this week, TV Land and TV Guide count down the "100 Most Unexpected TV Moments." And based on the game show clips, we'll be seeing Frank Sinatra on "What's My Line", Paul Lynde on "Dating Game", and Jackie Gleason's second episode of "You're In The Picture"...which was of course, an entire half-hour of Gleason apologizing profusely for the previous broadcast.

Other unexpected game show moments we might be seeing could include the Popsicle Twins on "The Gong Show", Herbert Stempel following the script on "Twenty-One", maybe the "In the butt" episode from "Newlywed Game", and maybe that wardrobe malfunction on TPIR 27 years before Janet Jackson (you know which one).

And for you reality show fans, expect Richard Hatch getting buck naked on "Survivor" and Jonathan and Victoria's mega-blow-up close to the Pit Stop on "Amazing Race" to be on there.

Jonathan Allen

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 01:44:48 AM »
One of the researchers for that show, Leona Barad, is a member of this forum and back in June she asked about a number of shows including Yolanda, Paul Lynde on TDG and the FF fast money wipeout. She also asked about "The Big Showdown" episode with Jim falling down the stairs, I don't think it made the cut though, judging from the article in TVG.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

entguy1

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 09:41:34 AM »
I thought the MG revolt piece was good -- they even found Patti Deutsch! According to IMDB, she turns 60 in a few weeks, but looks OK for that age. (And, in watching the clip, I think she may have been where my obsession with redheads started!) She hasn't been in anything on camera (aside from animated voiceovers) for the past 25 years.

Jim Lange looks to be in good condition, albeit thisclose to having no hair whatsoever...

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 10:53:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 6 2005, 02:44 AM\']One of the researchers for that show, Leona Barad, is a member of this forum and back in June she asked about a number of shows including Yolanda, Paul Lynde on TDG and the FF fast money wipeout. She also asked about "The Big Showdown" episode with Jim falling down the stairs, I don't think it made the cut though, judging from the article in TVG.[/quote]
So THAT'S what she was working on!  It also explains why the "school riot" segment made the cut, since that's something that doesn't immediately leap to mind when anyone outside of game show fans think about pop culture history.    My guess would be that the Jim Peck spill didn't make the cut because The Big Showdown isn't nearly well-known enough to mean much to anybody.

Leona, if you're still poking around here, we'd love to hear about some of the behind-the-scenes details of putting this thing together, and how you managed to get so many game show moments into the list!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 08:58:28 PM »
[quote name=\'entguy1\' date=\'Dec 6 2005, 06:41 AM\'][Patti] hasn't been in anything on camera (aside from animated voiceovers) for the past 25 years.[/quote]
Actually, she was a guest on that horrid afternoon block that Todd Newton cohosted for a while, whose name (mercifully!) escapes me right now. She's aged, but you can still definitely tell it's her. ;)

cmjb13

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 09:22:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Dec 6 2005, 08:58 PM\'][quote name=\'entguy1\' date=\'Dec 6 2005, 06:41 AM\'][Patti] hasn't been in anything on camera (aside from animated voiceovers) for the past 25 years.[/quote]
Actually, she was a guest on that horrid afternoon block that Todd Newton cohosted for a while, whose name (mercifully!) escapes me right now. She's aged, but you can still definitely tell it's her. ;)
[snapback]104041[/snapback]
[/quote]
Lover's Lounge?

Also patty was in Mr. Mom from 22 years ago. IMDB also lists her as having an appearance on Moonlighting from 1989.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Steve McClellan

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 09:27:29 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 6 2005, 06:22 PM\']Lover's Lounge?[/quote]
Oh sure. Destroy my ignorant bliss! Now you're actually gonna make me remember that... thing. Thanks a lot.

ChuckNet

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 10:11:04 PM »
Oh sure. Destroy my ignorant bliss! Now you're actually gonna make me remember that... thing. Thanks a lot.

LOL...well, at least Teresa Strasser managed to escape it unscathed. :-) Whatever happened to her orig. co-host (Helen Kinney) that GSN dumped in favor of Todd Newton?

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 10:48:02 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Dec 6 2005, 10:11 PM\']LOL...well, at least Teresa Strasser managed to escape it unscathed. :-) Whatever happened to her orig. co-host (Helen Kinney) that GSN dumped in favor of Todd Newton?
[snapback]104052[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wasn't her name Heather Kinney?

(No, seriously...I'm not being nitpicky.  I thought that was her name, but maybe I'm remembering it wrong.)

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 03:56:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Dec 6 2005, 09:48 PM\'][quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Dec 6 2005, 10:11 PM\']LOL...well, at least Teresa Strasser managed to escape it unscathed. :-) Whatever happened to her orig. co-host (Helen Kinney) that GSN dumped in favor of Todd Newton?
[snapback]104052[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wasn't her name Heather Kinney?

(No, seriously...I'm not being nitpicky.  I thought that was her name, but maybe I'm remembering it wrong.)
[snapback]104054[/snapback]
[/quote]

Per imdb.com, it's Helen Keaney.  She does have a page with other credits (nothing to write home about), so IMDB could be right this time.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 10:42:55 PM »
Looking at the complete list, here are the game/reality show moments that made it:

#84: Paul Lynde on The Dating Game
#82: The MG77 "School Riot" episode
#80: William Hung murdering She Bangs to bloody death on American Idol
#77: The Fast Money wipeout on Family Feud (wish they included the "September" episode)
#54: Sinatra and Mia Farrow on What's My Line
#50: The Password is "Miser" (aka Jack Benny on Password...and they even showed the production slate!!)
#41: Richard Hatch's nude romp on the first Survivor
#23: Michael Skupin burns his hands on the second Survivor
#19: Yolanda Bowersley's wardrobe malfunction on TPIR

That's it. No Herb Stempel blurting out "On The Waterfront" on Twenty-One (when he could've screwed everybody and said "Marty"), Michael Larsen's day of terror on PYL, or anything from Amazing Race like Jonathan pushing Victoria close to a Pit Stop or Rob and Amber coming close but no cigar to the $1 million.

Jonathan Allen
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 01:28:12 AM by johnnya2k3 »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 04:49:03 AM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Dec 7 2005, 10:42 PM\']That's it. No Herb Stempel blurting out "Marty" on Twenty-One (when he could've screwed everybody and said "On The Waterfront")[/quote]
Which would be insignificant to everyone, except who know the story behind it.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

DrBear

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 06:49:02 AM »
Well, all the stuff from "Survivor" is insignificant to me.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 10:38:33 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Dec 8 2005, 03:49 AM\']Well, all the stuff from "Survivor" is insignificant to me.
[snapback]104177[/snapback]
[/quote]
Exceot one is reasonable to know from a television pop-culture standpoint, and the other isn't.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 10:51:57 AM »
What would be all that "unexpected" about Stempel missing the Marty question? Given that viewers obviously had no idea the show was rigged, I doubt they were all that surprised to see a nerd miss a question about a movie.

BTW, you left off #96 - Gleason's mea culpa for "You're In the Picture."
@lambertman