Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: get some other good game shows  (Read 11530 times)

saussage

get some other good game shows
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2005, 12:15:51 AM »
[quote name=\'dascoot\' date=\'Dec 9 2005, 01:07 AM\']I think GSN needs to get some other games too.  I think first off they should try to buy the right from NBC of the show Classic Concentration.  I also think they should get the Reg-Grundy productions like Sale Of The Century and Scrabble.  Bring back also Tic Tac Dough, Joker's Wild, Bullseye, Bumper Stumpers and Play The Percentages.  *snip*
[snapback]104253[/snapback]
[/quote]
GSN doesn't have the $$$ to buy rights to the game show library of your choice. GSN has enough $$ problems with too many failed attempts with their original programming (Lingo is the only saving grace right now). Some other shows mentioned may come back to GSN but the Reg Grundy library is a pipe dream for now (involves more $$).

I got tired after reading this long-windedness. The questions got looked at, scrunched up and burnt to a crisp. I guess expressing pipe dream schedules are sometimes nice to have but can also annoy people. In this case though, keeping the whole post shorter would've helped out.

I need a rum and coke.
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

cacLA8383

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2005, 12:52:30 PM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'Dec 11 2005, 12:15 AM\'][quote name=\'dascoot\' date=\'Dec 9 2005, 01:07 AM\']I think GSN needs to get some other games too.  I think first off they should try to buy the right from NBC of the show Classic Concentration.  I also think they should get the Reg-Grundy productions like Sale Of The Century and Scrabble.  Bring back also Tic Tac Dough, Joker's Wild, Bullseye, Bumper Stumpers and Play The Percentages.  *snip*
[snapback]104253[/snapback]
[/quote]
GSN doesn't have the $$$ to buy rights to the game show library of your choice. GSN has enough $$ problems with too many failed attempts with their original programming (Lingo is the only saving grace right now). Some other shows mentioned may come back to GSN but the Reg Grundy library is a pipe dream for now (involves more $$).

I got tired after reading this long-windedness. The questions got looked at, scrunched up and burnt to a crisp. I guess expressing pipe dream schedules are sometimes nice to have but can also annoy people. In this case though, keeping the whole post shorter would've helped out.

I need a rum and coke.
[snapback]104415[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'll take 5 of those, along with a screwdriver. :-D

Gromit

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2005, 07:41:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Dec 9 2005, 05:09 AM\']Anyhow, why would any of your ideas make GSN more viable?
[snapback]104258[/snapback]
[/quote]

Depends on what you call viable. I would watch Classic Concentration, Sale Of The Century, Scrabble, Tic Tac Dough, Joker's Wild, Bullseye, Bumper Stumpers and Play The Percentages that he listed, because I've rarely seen them.

I don't watch Millionaire, Newlywed Game, Love Connection, Feud and all the other shows that have been run into the ground endlessly over the years.

I doubt that folks like myself are the minority, and the ratings numbers seem to back that up.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2005, 08:41:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Dec 12 2005, 07:41 PM\']I doubt that folks like myself are the minority, and the ratings numbers seem to back that up.[/quote]

What the ratings numbers back up is that folks that have any interest in GSN, in any way, shape, or form, are the minority.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

uncamark

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2005, 05:39:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Dec 12 2005, 07:41 PM\'][quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Dec 12 2005, 07:41 PM\']I doubt that folks like myself are the minority, and the ratings numbers seem to back that up.[/quote]

What the ratings numbers back up is that folks that have any interest in GSN, in any way, shape, or form, are the minority.
[snapback]104549[/snapback]
[/quote]

And what still grabs what viewers that they do have, outside of the ones interested in HoveRounds, is:

[Click]

"Wow, 'Match Game!'  I haven't seen that one in years!  I wonder if it's still funny like it used to be?"

If they can get more of those people, they'll be in better shape than the small number of us who want to see every obscure game show ever made (and then, after viewing "The Perfect Match," wonder, why, Lord, why?).

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2005, 06:00:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Dec 12 2005, 07:41 PM\']I doubt that folks like myself are the minority, and the ratings numbers seem to back that up.
[/quote]
Find me 100 people (less than 10%) on this message board that would clamor to see Play the Percentages.  If you can't get 100 people on a Game Show Board to support a show, there's no way in hell that GSN would air it.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2005, 10:03:04 PM »
Something to consider:

If people don't watch, we no longer have a Game Show Network. Would I like to see Pass the Buck, Bullseye and Two for the Money?  Hells yes.  But if there's no GSN, then I'm outta luck. If GSN were to run all of the rare stuff, but nothing that normal casual channel surfers want to watch, we won't have a network devoted to game shows.  And I've grown attached to it.

If running the same episodes of $100,000 Pyramid (my word, why would people complain about the Pyramid?), Match Game and Card Sharks means we still have a GSN, then that's a good thing.  We still have a chance to see some rare gems, and that's fine with me. I'll stick with what we have, thanks. Every once in a while, we get something like Rafferty Blockbusters that makes it worth having.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 10:04:59 PM by TLEberle »
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

Gamer

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2005, 01:39:36 AM »
It does make it worth having but it's still kind of sad that we've been conditioned to think that way.  Basically saying "Well I don't like 75% of what gsn shows but I do like the 25% and that makes it worth it."  Whereas years ago when gsn was a different channel there was let's say 75% we liked.  But over the years as they've gradually changed and slowly pushed out other game shows we've been resigned to just accept the 2 or 3 game show airings we love and still be grateful for the channel.  It's a good channel don't get me wrong.  It's my favorite channel.  It's just weird that we're conditioned over time to accept whatever they throw at us and still think it's okay.  Like credit crunches for instance.  They started off still pretty big and gradually got smaller and smaller and now it's not even an issue for most of you.  But if they had gone from big to small over night it would have been an outrage.  Similarly when they phased out a lot of older shows we were still grateful for the one or two airings of good game shows they still aired because it was better than nothing.

Bringing back a lot of classics this past April and what they're planning for '06 is a step in the right direction though.  Unfortunately gsn needs to air all that other stuff to survive.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 01:41:28 AM by Gamer »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2005, 02:29:23 AM »
[quote name=\'Gamer\' date=\'Dec 13 2005, 10:39 PM\']They started off still pretty big and gradually got smaller and smaller and now it's not even an issue for most of you.
[/quote]
For most of us with any sense in our heads, it wasn't to start with. The people bitching were the tape hoarders.
But if they had gone from big to small over night it would have been an outrage. 
...among the same small contingent of boneheads who were bitching anyhow.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Gamer

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2005, 11:29:46 PM »
Well there will always be something to bitch about won't there but personally I can't stand credit crunches.  There are a lot of people who hate them who think people like you who don't mind them are "Boneheads" as well.  It cuts both ways. But the crunches are here to stay so even discussing that is pointless.  I was simply using that as an example.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2005, 11:37:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Gamer\' date=\'Dec 14 2005, 08:29 PM\']There are a lot of people who hate them who think people like you who don't mind them are "Boneheads" as well. 
[snapback]104794[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yeah, I've run into a few. And I've quickly been able to discern that their opinion is completely and totally irrelevant.

Sounds kinda familiar, in fact.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 11:39:03 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

melman1

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2005, 12:27:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Gamer\' date=\'Dec 14 2005, 09:29 PM\']personally I can't stand credit crunches.[/quote]
Oy.
There are a lot of people who hate them who think people like you who don't mind them are "Boneheads" as well.
Double oy.
It cuts both ways.
Don't run with scissors.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2005, 12:47:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Gamer\' date=\'Dec 14 2005, 11:29 PM\']Well there will always be something to bitch about won't there but personally I can't stand credit crunches.  There are a lot of people who hate them who think people like you who don't mind them are "Boneheads" as well.  It cuts both ways. But the crunches are here to stay so even discussing that is pointless.  I was simply using that as an example.
[/quote]
I'll take "Run On Sentences" for $300, Alex.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

musicman

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2005, 12:17:18 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Dec 9 2005, 07:30 PM\']4) They say it never rains in Southern California...is that true?
[snapback]104322[/snapback]
[/quote]

False.  It pours...MAN it pours!

BrandonFG

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2005, 12:24:04 AM »
And you get a WHOOOOOOOOOOSH! Hope you got an umbrella.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!