Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IMDb.com  (Read 4518 times)

beatlefreak84

IMDb.com
« on: December 10, 2005, 05:50:40 PM »
Well, I've read all the complaints from the board members whenever somebody cites something from imdb.com.  Nevertheless, I decided to take a stroll over there and see why people complain the way they do about the site (after all, for movies, I haven't found too many mistakes; the ones that exist are usually fixed rather quickly).

Then, I read the entry on Alex Trebek, in which the poster of his mini-biography claims that, before becoming the host of "Jeopardy!" he returned to NBC to host "Classic Concentration."  If this wasn't sad enough, the poster INCLUDES THE YEARS of each show next to their respective titles, further making me scratch my head at what went wrong...:).  He also claims that NBC quit making daytime game shows once CC got canceled...I guess he blocked the mega NBC hit "Caesar's Challenge" out of his head...:).

I'm sure similar mistakes exist elsewhere, but now I can definitely see why anybody who complains about the legitimacy of the site is justified...:).  I was going to try and have it fixed, but it required me to register for the site, and I don't feel like inundating myself with spam just to fix one lousy post.  Any takers?

Oh, and so you all can get a good laugh, here's the link: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0871618/bio

Enjoy (or not, depending on who you are)!

Anthony
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 05:51:24 PM by beatlefreak84 »
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

BrandonFG

IMDb.com
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 06:18:05 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Dec 10 2005, 05:50 PM\']Well, I've read all the complaints from the board members whenever somebody cites something from imdb.com.  Nevertheless, I decided to take a stroll over there and see why people complain the way they do about the site (after all, for movies, I haven't found too many mistakes; the ones that exist are usually fixed rather quickly).
[/quote]
I take anything on that site with a grain of salt. Like any site where most info is submitted by Internet users, there's a lot of faulty info. (Next week: I'll write a rant about amiannoying.com)

http://imdb.com/name/nm1214386/bio

That mistake's been there about 3 years.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
IMDb.com
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 06:22:55 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Dec 10 2005, 02:50 PM\']Well, I've read all the complaints from the board members whenever somebody cites something from imdb.com.  Nevertheless, I decided to take a stroll over there and see why people complain the way they do about the site (after all, for movies, I haven't found too many mistakes; the ones that exist are usually fixed rather quickly).
[/quote]
I don't mind people citing it, and yes, for the most part the information there is good. It's the people who cite it as 100% irrefutable FACT and as an authoritative source who raise my hackles.
If this wasn't sad enough, the poster INCLUDES THE YEARS of each show next to their respective titles, further making me scratch my head at what went wrong...:).
Easy. Aaron Handy prolly wrote that piece. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

IMDb.com
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 06:59:34 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Dec 10 2005, 06:50 PM\']Then, I read the entry on Alex Trebek, in which the poster of his mini-biography claims that, before becoming the host of "Jeopardy!" he returned to NBC to host "Classic Concentration."  If this wasn't sad enough, the poster INCLUDES THE YEARS of each show next to their respective titles, further making me scratch my head at what went wrong...:).  He also claims that NBC quit making daytime game shows once CC got canceled...I guess he blocked the mega NBC hit "Caesar's Challenge" out of his head...:).[/quote]
I would suggest that what's seriously flawed is to deny the usefullness and 99%+ accuracy of a spectacularly helpful website because you found two small errors in one paragraph of one biography.  Just because one flawed biographer didn't remember that NBC had one unsuccessful show on the air after CC isn't really much of a reason to say that IMDB isn't legitimate.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

zachhoran

IMDb.com
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 07:22:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 10 2005, 06:59 PM\']Just because one flawed IMDB biographer didn't remember that NBC had one unsuccessful show on the air after Classic Concentration isn't really much of a reason to say that IMDB isn't legitimate.
[snapback]104395[/snapback]
[/quote]

If he didn't remember Caesar's Challenge, he wouldn't have remembered the equally unsuccessful Scrabble 1993, Scattergories, and Family Secrets. Classic Concentration was in reruns until two weeks before Caesar aired its last show,

BrandonFG

IMDb.com
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 07:26:17 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 10 2005, 07:22 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 10 2005, 06:59 PM\']Just because one flawed IMDB biographer didn't remember that NBC had one unsuccessful show on the air after Classic Concentration isn't really much of a reason to say that IMDB isn't legitimate.
[snapback]104395[/snapback]
[/quote]

If he didn't remember Caesar's Challenge, he wouldn't have remembered the equally unsuccessful Scrabble 1993, Scattergories, and Family Secrets. Classic Concentration was in reruns until two weeks before Caesar aired its last show, [sic]
[snapback]104400[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh my goodness gracious wow.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
IMDb.com
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 07:33:35 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 10 2005, 04:26 PM\']Oh my goodness gracious wow.
[snapback]104401[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm guessing this is one of those moments where Our Benevolent Moderators are asking themselves why they bother protecting Horan as much as they do, between this and the recent revelation about how he brags that he "will never be banned".
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

IMDb.com
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 07:49:10 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 10 2005, 05:33 PM\']...between this and the recent revelation about how he brags that he "will never be banned".
[snapback]104402[/snapback]
[/quote]
What?? Where was this?

BrandonFG

IMDb.com
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 07:56:36 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 10 2005, 07:49 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 10 2005, 05:33 PM\']...between this and the recent revelation about how he brags that he "will never be banned".
[snapback]104402[/snapback]
[/quote]
What?? Where was this?
[snapback]104403[/snapback]
[/quote]
Mainly from an e-mail, but brought up here.

Jimmy Owen

IMDb.com
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005, 08:03:59 PM »
If you know what IMDb is an acroynym for, you will forgive occasional errors regarding television shows.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

beatlefreak84

IMDb.com
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2005, 12:15:06 AM »
If you know what IMDb is an acroynym for, you will forgive occasional errors regarding television shows.

Perhaps I should clarify something...I didn't bring my point up about the Trebek mistake in an effort to refute the Internet Movie Database as a useful website under any circumstances.  The only reason I brought this up was because it finally allowed me personally to see why it is those people who cite imdb.com as irrefutable fact, as Mr. Lemon said, are derided for it.  This was the first legitimate example of a mistake that I had seen, and a pretty egregious one at that, especially given that the poster had the years of the shows' premieres correct in his post.

I mean, heck, our beloved Game Show Encyclopedia has errors in it (one example is how the "Hot Potato" bonus game is played), but it doesn't mean I don't consider it a great resource for game show facts.  Likewise, I certainly won't stop using the site, espcially for learning some interesting facts about movies (I'm impressed with the depth people can get into for movies that aren't well-known).

Sorry if I ruffled some feathers with my original post...:)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Matt Ottinger

IMDb.com
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2005, 01:14:01 AM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Dec 11 2005, 01:15 AM\']The only reason I brought this up was because it finally allowed me personally to see why it is those people who cite imdb.com as irrefutable fact, as Mr. Lemon said, are derided for it.  [/quote]
Not to beat a dead horse here, but I'd be hard-pressed to come up with ANYBODY -- myself included -- who would refer to the IMDB as "irrefutable fact".  Check the Bill Cullen listing and then go to, oh, I dont know, billcullen.net.  What I think is far MORE common -- and just as flawed -- is the tendency to trash the site as a whole for errors as small as the ones you originally brought up.  

If that wasn't what you were doing, I apologize, but I've just seen too many posts around here that say what a terrible, inaccurate untrustworthy and generally disreputable website IMDB is because it says that they made 593 episodes of Supermarket Sweep when everybody knows they actually made 594.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.