Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deal Or No Deal  (Read 42940 times)

cmjb13

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2005, 02:14:57 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Dec 20 2005, 01:55 PM\']One more time. The banker is a non-speaking role, and the actor does not control any aspect of the game. The producer is on the other end of the telephone.
[snapback]105281[/snapback]
[/quote]
Mea culpa
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Brig Bother

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2005, 02:46:31 PM »
Meh, first two thirds of the game is mainly for setting up the all important last third. Or rather, half an hour to decide if you like the contestant, fifteen minutes to determine whether they actually do well or not. You could probably do the entire case opening of the first three rounds in one go, but you need the bank interlude to break up the action a bit.

It's a reasonable thought to dislike the "player walks in, doesn't do much, walks back out $X richer" aspect. What do you think of the European daily way of doing things? Everyone who gets on contestant's row is guaranteed a shot, but they could be on box-opening duty for up to four weeks of recordings before they get their go. We get four weeks to get to know people. Once they've had their go, they're off and replaced on contestants row by a brand new contestant.

We had one guy who jacked his job in for a chance to appear on the show. He was offered almost £20,000 (about $30,000) at one stage with a good board, declined it, went home with £10 ($15). Ouch.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2005, 03:07:56 PM »
The Banker telephone call to Howie was different, it helps build drama
Howie was starting not to take the premise of the phone call seriously. That is not a suspense-builder; it helps expose the phone call as the silly contrivance that it is.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2005, 03:11:07 PM »
Howie was starting not to take the premise of the phone call seriously.

When I tuned in, I saw Howie pick up the phone, say "okay, I'll tell her" and merely relay the figure to the contestant. Certainly not the foreboding banker the promos hype up. Compared to that, there's more drama in having the figure appear on the board, having the audience react, and cut to the silhouette of the banker, who appears to have no reaction to the contestant's heart-wrenching decision.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

nbcburbank

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2005, 03:21:38 PM »
Yep, Obviously the Banker is there for visual appeal. Isn't that what Television is all about, VISUAL APPEAL? The Banker makes things seem more official. That is the whole point of him being there. Why is that so hard for people to understand? Well half of you seem to understand. The rest seem to be clueless.

KEEP THE BANKER.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2005, 03:29:20 PM »
Obviously the Banker is there for visual appeal. Isn't that what Television is all about, VISUAL APPEAL? The Banker makes things seem more official. That is the whole point of him being there.
Do you want to exhume Ben Feit of the Manufacturers Trust Company and cast him in the role of Banker? Puh-leeeze.

JayDLewis

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2005, 03:31:08 PM »
The phone is stupid and looks out of place. Dump the phone and have "the banker" come over the house speakers. A deep bass voice slings a couple of Anne Robinson-esque "insults" and says the offer.

Howie (who did a great job, nuff said) could even banter back with the banker, putting him in the "good cop" seat.

Also, I think there are too many 6-figure cases. I'd make the top 5 $100K, $250K, $500K, $1M and $2M as the top prize. (All of these games are for $1M, let's make a REAL millionaire). Although, as someone else said, I'm sure the top tier is engineered to be so incremental.

Just my $0.02.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2005, 03:37:58 PM »
[quote name=\'nbcburbank\' date=\'Dec 20 2005, 12:21 PM\']The rest seem to be clueless.
[snapback]105296[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh, the irony.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2005, 03:41:14 PM »
[quote name=\'nbcburbank\' date=\'Dec 20 2005, 03:21 PM\']Yep, Obviously the Banker is there for visual appeal. Isn't that what Television is all about, VISUAL APPEAL? The Banker makes things seem more official. That is the whole point of him being there. Why is that so hard for people to understand? Well half of you seem to understand. The rest seem to be clueless.

KEEP THE BANKER.
[snapback]105296[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sure, after 21 of your informative posts, YOU'RE calling us names?

I don't like the 'banker' character on set. Do it like the Aussie version where the number just pops up on the screen. No phone. No shadowed character.

But that makes me clueless. It also makes you an idiot.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2005, 03:56:11 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Dec 20 2005, 12:41 PM\']I don't like the 'banker' character on set. Do it like the Aussie version where the number just pops up on the screen. No phone. No shadowed character.
[/quote]
I actually DO like the Banker being on set. What I DON'T like is that they don't USE him. He's a sinister guy hiding in shadows, and we don't get to INTERACT with him.

All they need to do is make the Banker be a speaking role. Let us hear him say "The Bank relectantly offers $X." That would fix ALL of it for me.

(of course, the game itself would still be broken, but that's another issue.)

nbcburbank

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2005, 03:58:00 PM »
LOL different strokes for different folks. This place is great! I Love you all. I'm in a great mood and can't wait to see Deal tonight.  At this point in time when ANY new Game Show is a rarity we should Thank GOD that we have this one on the schedule. This isn't 1984 when we could take Game Shows for granted since there were 20 other ones on the air at any given time. Let's just be happy that a New Game Show is on the schedule at all! I know that I am.

Happy Holidays.

SteveRep

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2005, 04:28:39 PM »
All the bases are covered -- quite thoroughly and quickly -- here.

It's a good "all sizzle, no steak" show that will work in one-week doses a couple of times a year.

If the ratings are sustained throughout the week, I wouldn't be surprised to see the next dose in either Feb. or May sweeps.

clemon79

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2005, 04:38:44 PM »
[quote name=\'nbcburbank\' date=\'Dec 20 2005, 12:58 PM\']LOL different strokes for different folks. This place is great! I Love you all.
[/quote]
Jesus, it's GSWitch reincarnated.

alfonzos

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2005, 05:31:02 PM »
The game is good background noise. The game is not bad but not good enough to command my full attention. The pace is sooooooooooo slow. Geez.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

xibit777

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2005, 05:35:14 PM »
I had fun watching the show.   And I'm so grateful that a network is giving a game show a chance.   I have to agree with a lot of people here that the phone was VERY annoying.  Especially that time he wouldn't answer it and it kept ringing over and over.  It's got a very annoying ring.   I also think the banker should speak (would be a good job for the announcer)

Lastly I think it moves too slow.  They have too many boxes.  There's no reason to have so many low values.  They should reduce the box amount to 15 or so even if they have to take one of the higher values out to even the odds of winning something good.

But it was still fun.  The contestant was fun and her family was good.  I imagine it could be pretty boring though if they have a really dull contestant.  We'll have to see...   Oh yeah and Howie did a really nice job.    Far surpassed what I expected.