Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Are You Hooked?  (Read 6658 times)

Ian Wallis

Are You Hooked?
« on: December 24, 2005, 10:32:49 AM »
Maybe this game has flaws (in reality, what game doesn't?), and maybe the contestant doesn't have to do much...but are you hooked?

I found myself really looking forward to each episode as the week progressed.  The first episode I actually got a little bored part way through, but when I watched more and more, there is a certain intrigue to this.  When the show ended Friday night I was already looking forward to more!

I guess it could be because there's been so few new games in recent years, but I'm kind of hooked on this one right now.

Any others?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

Are You Hooked?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 11:08:10 AM »
What I found is that it becomes exciting again when you introduce it to others.  My sister is not a game show fan, but she has always liked Howie Mandel.  I was at her house last night and I persuaded her to watch it and she seemed to like it.  However, at around 8:48 when one of the bank offers came up, she noted that there is no way the lady would take it...."they've still got twelve minutes to fill."

I have gotten good at predicting the bank offers when I try, I guessed it exactly at least 4 times last night.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

nbcburbank

Are You Hooked?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 11:48:33 AM »
Yes I'm hooked. I like Howie and I like the show. I'm going to miss it until it hopefully comes back. I think it will return. I've heard mostly good feedhback and the ratings seem to reflect that. Unfortunately this is the type of Game where I feel to much prime time exposure will be overkill. We all saw what happened with Prime Time Millionaire. They exposed it so much that they killed it. I don't want to see that happen to Deal or No Deal. Besides, NBC already has a set prime Time Lineup in place. I don't think they will screw with the regular programming to the extent that they did this past week. I already see one Good Night to air the show though. 9:00 PM on Wednesdays to replace the canceled Martha Stewart Apprentice. I guess we can start there. I wouldn't mind seeing the show scheduled for a total of three nights a week. That would probably be a good amount without the risk of overkill.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 11:49:04 AM by nbcburbank »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Are You Hooked?
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 02:47:08 PM »
[quote name=\'nbcburbank\' date=\'Dec 24 2005, 11:48 AM\']I think it will return. [/quote]
Considering they already announced it will be back, its a given.

As expected..no..I'm not hooked...and neither is anyone in my circle of friends, nor are any family members.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
Are You Hooked?
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 03:03:54 PM »
Can't wait until the next series!  My wife and I both are hooked.
--Matt

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Are You Hooked?
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 04:44:18 PM »
Monotony has fostered ennui. Definitely not hooked. It has become humdrum.

gwarman2005

Are You Hooked?
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 05:11:17 PM »
I guess the dumb luck element of the contestants is it's flaw.  No knowledge or anything, just pick the right briefcase and watch the money roll in.  Left me with a big BLAH feeling.

Matt Ottinger

Are You Hooked?
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2005, 05:57:04 PM »
As I said before, I'm fascinated.  I know I shouldn't be, I know I don't particularly WANT to be, but I can't help myself.

Also, remember that a rising tide lifts all boats.  Even if you don't like DoND, networks like to jump on a hit, and maybe this'll open the door for some other, better games along the way.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

J.R.

Are You Hooked?
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2005, 06:33:43 PM »
Oh, I am definitely hooked! I'm looking forward to the next batch of episodes next year!

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

Are You Hooked?
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2005, 06:53:24 PM »
Won't say "hooked," but I must say I enjoyed it, and look forward to the next batch. If NBC ever picks it up, hopefully they'll go weekly.

Is this March run a "play it safe" move for NBC, since a lot of the competition was reruns or holiday programing? Kinda what ABC did with Millionaire, considering it went against summer reruns in '99...
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Robert Hutchinson

Are You Hooked?
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2005, 06:54:31 PM »
Hooked? Certainly not. But I will probably tune in in March. Howie's a great host, and I do have some interest in the gameplay. Give the hyperactive contestants some more caffeine, some weaponry, and lock them in the same room with the editing staff, and I'd be happier.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Speedy G

Are You Hooked?
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2005, 06:57:52 PM »
Does the show have flaws?  Yes, lots of them.

Will these flaws kill the show on any sort of long-term scale?  Yes.

Do any of these flaws hamper my enjoyment of the show?  Absolutely not.

As of yet, I do not understand the people who say the show drags.  Every single segment seems to fly at 800 MPH for me.

I'm not totally sold on all the aspects of the US version, but the format is great, and Howie has totally surprised me as host, and that's good enough for me to tune in at least weekly if it comes to that.
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Are You Hooked?
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2005, 07:27:39 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 24 2005, 05:53 PM\']Won't say "hooked," but I must say I enjoyed it, and look forward to the next batch. If NBC ever picks it up, hopefully they'll go weekly.

Is this March run a "play it safe" move for NBC, since a lot of the competition was reruns or holiday programing? Kinda what ABC did with Millionaire, considering it went against summer reruns in '99...
[snapback]105766[/snapback]
[/quote]
Could be, although a March run might pop up opposite the lower-rated (but always interesting for me) opening rounds of the NCAAs.  This would make it really tough on me as a game-show junkie and a college hoops junkie.  But it'd be a nice choice to have to make.  :)

And what you said as well about "hooked" vs. "enjoyed."  I'm right there with you.

Doug -- and the countdown to 1700 continues (and concludes, ho-ho-ho)
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Tony

Are You Hooked?
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2005, 03:49:49 PM »
I didn't get to watch the show until Friday (having a life and all :P), and I was busy yesterday.  Therefore only now am I posting my thoughts (in a nutshell) about Deal or No Deal.

It's not a show that I would go out of my way to watch or record, nor would I watch it if there was something better on (game show or otherwise).  Nonetheless it does make a pleasant diversion for an evening after a long day.

Having said that, I hope that it is a big enough hit among the general populace that more, better, game shows come down the pike (although I honestly expect the coming wavelet to consist of largely crappier shows, meaning the genre may really be closer to death on English-speaking American TV).

ChuckNet

Are You Hooked?
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2005, 06:23:26 PM »
Also looking forward to the return..I know my dad and grandfather were watching by at least mid-week, and while the show def has its flaws, it's good to have an actual GS back in primetime, and the ratings have proved that there's still an audience out there for the genre...hell, the Aardvark prep for my radio station's AM show on Fri even included a joke about offering your wife $100 to give back her gift and asking "Honey, Deal or No Deal?". :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")