Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Celeb Sweepstakes Question...  (Read 4304 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Celeb Sweepstakes Question...
« on: January 04, 2006, 10:35:52 PM »
I've gotten multiple answers from multiple people and websites.

Let's say, immediatly before the final round; the panel's (right/wrong) answers:

Steve: 5/12
Urkel: 8/12
Chris: 2/12
Kevin: 0/12
Isabel: 11/12
Travis: 4/12

For the "All or Nothing" round, would Kevin have highest odds, or lowest odds?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 10:52:52 PM »
Kevin would have the highest odds because he would be considered the least likely to answer the final question correctly.  You would make more money by betting on Kevin than you would on another celebrity IF he had the right answer.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 09:13:08 AM »
During the first format of "Celebrity Sweepstakes", they based the odds of the final question on how many questions were missed during regular play.  In your senario, the final odds would be:

Steve: 5/12 - 7:1
Urkel: 8/12 - 4:1
Chris: 2/12 - 10:1
Kevin: 0/12 - 12:1
Isabel: 11/12 - 1:1
Travis: 4/12 - 8:1

During the second format, the producers would set the odds between 1:1 and 5:1 based on who they thought was most likely to answer.

I was a big fan of the show and always tried to watch it during time off from school.  I don't remember the final odds being any more than 7:1 or 8:1 at the highest, but there were a lot of shows I didn't see because of school.  

I remember one episode where (I think it was) Dan Rowan in postion 1, and Joey Bishop in postion 3, were about the only two answering right all day.  Their final odds were both 1:1, while everyone else's were 7:1 or 8:1.  Most of the time they'd be a bit closer.  The regulars they had on the show were pretty smart - usually Carol Wayne's and Joey's odds were among the lowest on the final question.

Too bad more episodes of this show didn't exist...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 11:40:39 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 5 2006, 10:13 AM\']During the second format, the producers would set the odds between 1:1 and 5:1 based on who they thought was most likely to answer.  [/quote]
Not to get all Zachish on you, but my memory is that in the second format, the audience voted on the last question as they did for all the others, but the producers changed the formula for setting the odds so that nobody could have odds of more than 9:1.

Don Howard

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 12:12:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 5 2006, 09:13 AM\']Too bad more episodes of this show didn't exist...
[snapback]106777[/snapback]
[/quote]
Too bad more episodes of this show aren't being produced. I imagine Jim McKrell/Jim MacKrell/James MacKrell would host this baby again in the beat of a heart.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 07:24:17 PM »
How were the odds figured out in the main game anyway? I know it was based on audience votes, but how did they get a specific number?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 10:26:15 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jan 5 2006, 08:24 PM\']How were the odds figured out in the main game anyway? I know it was based on audience votes, but how did they get a specific number?[/quote]
I doubt they ever explicitly described their formula on the air.  The only thing they said specifically was that if no one selected a star, his odds would be 99:1.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 04:25:50 AM »
Considering that the max bet was $10(unless it was $100 on a favorite), a 99:1 odds yields a nice payout of nearly $1K.  Of course, the stakes become magnified in the All or Nothing final round where a 9X payout on everything would definitely butsted that day's budget for sure.

Don Howard

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 10:21:59 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jan 6 2006, 04:25 AM\']Of course, the stakes become magnified in the All or Nothing final round
[snapback]106884[/snapback]
[/quote]
Stakes in the final round usually are. It keeps viewers in the tent throughout the show. Shhhh! Trade secret.