Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: And Away It Goes  (Read 10606 times)

gwarman2005

And Away It Goes
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2005, 03:16:12 PM »
When the shows on the Nashville Network got cancelled, Fandango and Top Card, I didn't cry in my beer.  The novelty wore off very quickly.

Card Shark

And Away It Goes
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2005, 04:25:17 PM »
I wasn't sad to see Millionaire go back in 2002. At that point, the show had been on overkill for too long. ABC got everything they could and more out of it.
Adam Strom

catkins522

And Away It Goes
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2005, 05:00:53 PM »
DoND....  Oh wait, it's still on the air.  Bummer....

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
And Away It Goes
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2005, 05:01:20 PM »
Put me down for any of the following:

CHILD'S PLAY (sorry, Michi-Matt--it wasn't one of my favorite Cullen vehicles)
THE FUN FACTORY
THE BETTER SEX
MUSICAL CHAIRS

Doug -- and the countdown to 2006 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
And Away It Goes
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2005, 05:06:52 PM »
[quote name=\'catkins522\' date=\'Dec 31 2005, 02:00 PM\']DoND....  Oh wait, it's still on the air.  Bummer....
[snapback]106352[/snapback]
[/quote]
If THAT doesn't smack of bitterness, I dunno what does.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

And Away It Goes
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2005, 05:49:23 PM »
I'll have to say CS01. Kinda like the other Brandon w/Pyramid, it pissed me off to see a classic get such a FUBAR treatment, esp. when there wasn't any tweaking needed. I understand they prolly wanted variety w/Clip Chips, but the one row of cards was inexcusable.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

The Ol' Guy

And Away It Goes
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2005, 06:33:34 PM »
Three's A Crowd, How's Your Mother In Law, and The Neighbors. Exercises in cruelty.

wheelloon

And Away It Goes
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2005, 10:08:30 PM »
Put down Friend or Foe and Whammy for me. I hated Todd Newton and Kennedy, Friend or Foe was borderline smutty, and the revamped rules for PYL just about made me sick...
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

Brandon Brooks

And Away It Goes
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2006, 02:15:48 AM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Dec 31 2005, 10:08 PM\']...and the revamped rules for PYL just about made me sick...
[snapback]106374[/snapback]
[/quote]
That's a little harsh.  The rules were not really that revamped, 'cept they took out a round and added the Big Bank.

Brandon Brooks

Adam Nedeff

And Away It Goes
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2006, 03:21:44 AM »
"Family Secrets" on NBC is the first game show I remember truly not liking, and I kept waiting for its cancellation because I knew, since it was a game show, that NBC would have to replace it with another game show, which would surely be better.

joshg

And Away It Goes
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2006, 03:55:01 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Dec 31 2005, 09:15 AM\']So I'm the only one who was glad to see Card Sharks '01 go?
[snapback]106329[/snapback]
[/quote]

What!? There was a Card Sharks '01? Wow! Then you'll probably tell me that they used video clips in the game and that the co-host was on MTV's 'Real World'. Imagine the horror...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 03:57:29 AM by matchgame »
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
And Away It Goes
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2006, 08:03:16 AM »
What!? There was a Card Sharks '01? Wow! Then you'll probably tell me that they used video clips in the game and that the co-host was on MTV's 'Real World'. Imagine the horror...
That's the version that made it on air. Originally they were considering putting a camera in the men's room at Tribune studios. Contestants would have to estimate how many people used a given urinal on a specific date, e.g. "How many people used urinal #2 on November 16?" The first contestant would give his estimate and the second contestant would respond with "higher" or "lower". Then they scrapped the questions altogether.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 08:05:12 AM by chris319 »

calliaume

And Away It Goes
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2006, 02:57:02 PM »
Back in the day, I used to pick up TV Guide on the stands and flip to the Friday daytime listings to see if any games had "Last show of the series" listed under the entries.  Sometimes I'd be less than thrilled about the replacement, of course ("Why on earth is NBC reviving High Rollers?"), sometimes we'd be happy ("Password's coming back!"), and sometimes I wouldn't know what to expect ("What the hell is The Fun Factory?")

Believe me, no tears were shed when The Neighbors, Blank Check, or Winning Streak were let go.

Ian Wallis

And Away It Goes
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2006, 03:04:36 PM »
I know this show has some fans here on the forum, but for me, it was Go!  It may have been cute for a bonus game, but to make a whole show around it...I personally thought it was one of Bob Stewart's weaker efforts - and that's saying something.  Also, I thought the theme was one of the most annoying in game show history.

Having said that, it's interesting to read others' opinions on shows they were glad to see let go.  Some of the ones mentioned in this thread - Blank Check and Musical Chairs just to name two - I actually kind of liked.  I guess no matter how short-run or obscure the show is, it will always have its fans!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Fedya

And Away It Goes
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2006, 04:24:58 PM »
Ann Robinson, you are the 'weakest link'!  Goodbye!

With all due respect to Randy West, I didn't like the premise of having a host be vicious just to get laughs, nor of contestants voting each other off.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post