Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Score It's Been  (Read 4826 times)

Don Howard

A Score It's Been
« on: January 06, 2006, 10:57:00 AM »
.....since the first million-dollar non-lottery nationally syndicated game show The $1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime ran its first telecast. Thanks to my cable company carrying then-superstation WOR-TV 9, I got to see it. Great theme music, even greater top prize, so-so show.
Unrelated side note: With the announcement on CBS Radio of the passing of Lou Rawls, the breath is bated as we await the divulgence of his alleged game show connections.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 11:00:08 AM by Don Howard »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
A Score It's Been
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 11:16:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 6 2006, 09:57 AM\']Unrelated side note: With the announcement on CBS Radio of the passing of Lou Rawls, the breath is bated as we await the divulgence of his alleged game show connections.
[snapback]106893[/snapback]
[/quote]
Sorry to hear about that.  Since he was a spokesperson for Anheuser-Busch eons ago, I toss one Bud in his memory.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Neumms

A Score It's Been
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 11:39:39 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 6 2006, 11:16 AM\']Sorry to hear about that.  Since he was a spokesperson for Anheuser-Busch eons ago, I toss one Bud in his memory.

Doug
[snapback]106894[/snapback]
[/quote]

I saw Rawls in person a number of years ago (at Valleyfair, an amusement park, sad to say) and he performed the "This Bud's for You" song. He said he wasn't being a shill, it was because A-B had done so much for his favorite cause, the United Negro College Fund. But boy, he had a way of making an ice cold Bud sound good.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
A Score It's Been
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 12:18:46 PM »
[quote name=\'LetsGoMets2003\' date=\'Jan 6 2006, 08:41 AM\']
Unrelated side note: With the announcement on CBS Radio of the passing of Lou Rawls, the breath is bated as we await the divulgence of his alleged game show connections.

I started an obit thread for Lou in the appropriate section of the board, in case anyone's wondering. I ponder what his annual (pre-taped) telethon will be like this weekend. A great voice silenced.
[snapback]106897[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh. My. God.

Don, a classic example of "be careful what you wish for..."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GS Warehouse

A Score It's Been
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 02:02:35 PM »
Back to the original post, looking at the subtitle, I was wondering if there would be a Score Productions pun.  (Didn't Score arrange the theme for the second season?)

And there was another show that debuted on that very day that hasn't been mentioned yet.  I will in my next post.

MikeK

• Martha!
A Score It's Been
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 02:30:21 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jan 6 2006, 02:02 PM\']And there was another show that debuted on that very day that hasn't been mentioned yet.  I will in my next post.
[snapback]106923[/snapback]
[/quote]
Two other shows debuted on 1/6/86.  Methinks Jason's not gonna mention feeling hot and wanting to streak with Brucie Forsyth every day of the week...

Jimmy Owen

A Score It's Been
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 02:41:33 PM »
Remember the great 1-2 punch at 11 on ABC with Hot Streak and "The New Love American Style" (with title song sung by Lou Rawls.)  Viewers were lukewarm with "Love" and it was replaced in August with Henry Polic II and "Double Talk."  Bruce, Lou and Henry all at one time breathed air.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

GS Warehouse

A Score It's Been
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 02:46:20 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jan 6 2006, 02:30 PM\']Two other shows debuted on 1/6/86.  Methinks Jason's not gonna mention feeling hot and wanting to streak with Brucie Forsyth every day of the week...
[snapback]106929[/snapback]
[/quote]
There's a reason I didn't mention that one, Mike.  I just didn't know about Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak, that's all.  Neither of my ABC stations at the time cleared it.

MikeK

• Martha!
A Score It's Been
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 02:57:14 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jan 6 2006, 02:46 PM\']There's a reason I didn't mention that one, Mike.  I just didn't know about Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak, that's all.  Neither of my ABC stations at the time cleared it.[/quote]
Fair enough.  I'll give Brucie props he deserves on this day.  It's a shame the format tanked here but, to this day, continues to thrive in Israel, Germany, and elsewhere.

For what it's worth, Hot Streak wasn't cleared in Cleveland either.  I caught a few eps. through Akron's ABC affiliate via the rabbit ears and when the stars were aligned properly.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
A Score It's Been
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 05:33:32 PM »
More important to game shows, 20 years ago marks the beginning of the era when there were three TV versions of Hangman on the air simultaneously: Wheel of Fortune, Scrabble and Million-Dollar Chance of a Lifetime.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
A Score It's Been
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 05:48:44 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 6 2006, 02:33 PM\']More important to game shows, 20 years ago marks the beginning of the era when there were three TV versions of Hangman on the air simultaneously: Wheel of Fortune, Scrabble and Million-Dollar Chance of a Lifetime.
[snapback]106941[/snapback]
[/quote]
Headline Chasers didn't happen to run in that time frame too, did it? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
A Score It's Been
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 06:03:22 PM »
OK, add Headline Chasers. I think I struggled to sit through an episode of HC once.

zachhoran

A Score It's Been
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 07:11:49 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 6 2006, 05:33 PM\']More important to game shows, 20 years ago marks the beginning of the era when there were three TV versions of Hangman on the air simultaneously: Wheel of Fortune, Scrabble and Million-Dollar Chance of a Lifetime.
[snapback]106941[/snapback]
[/quote]

Today is also the 31st anniversary of WOF's NBC premiere.

uncamark

A Score It's Been
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 12:34:39 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 6 2006, 05:03 PM\']OK, add Headline Chasers. I think I struggled to sit through an episode of HC once.
[snapback]106945[/snapback]
[/quote]

You did better than Merv ever did.  :)