Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deal or no Deal ... new return date?  (Read 8103 times)

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
Deal or no Deal ... new return date?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 10:18:26 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 10 2006, 09:03 PM\'][quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' date=\'Jan 10 2006, 05:57 PM\']"Paid audience"? (Pardon my ignorance...)
[snapback]107263[/snapback]
[/quote]
There are companies in Hollywood (like the aforementioned Audiences Unlimited) who provide "audience members" to shows taped before same, who are actors being paid to act the part.
[snapback]107264[/snapback]
[/quote]

Talk about these paid audience members or actors making their "huge leap" to stardom.  Hehe!  Oh well, someone has to make a living in Hollywood.  I'm sure they're nice or naughty to deal with.
-Sanford

tvrandywest

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 11:02:47 PM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' date=\'Jan 10 2006, 05:57 PM\']"Paid audience"? (Pardon my ignorance...)
[/quote]
The password is SEARCH
http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=7030&hl=
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

MrBuddwing

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2006, 11:50:29 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jan 10 2006, 11:02 PM\'][quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' date=\'Jan 10 2006, 05:57 PM\']"Paid audience"? (Pardon my ignorance...)
[/quote]
The password is SEARCH
http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=7030&hl=
[snapback]107277[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thank you. As someone who's had the privilege of being an UNPAID studio audience member, I'm ... kinda disillusioned.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 01:44:41 AM »
So you mean to tell me that the teacher's children that were in the audience, complete with signs (ala Let's Make a Deal) during the week were paid? :-D

(I know, it's far fetched.)

uncamark

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2006, 11:47:27 AM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Jan 11 2006, 12:44 AM\']So you mean to tell me that the teacher's children that were in the audience, complete with signs (ala Let's Make a Deal) during the week were paid? :-D

(I know, it's far fetched.)
[snapback]107292[/snapback]
[/quote]

Family and friends of contestants aren't paid (and the kids would be considered friends in this situation). Just everyone else.  :)

The reason for doing this, of course, is because the tourists only want to do the shows they've heard of (your Leno, your Ellen, your "Idol," your "TPIR") and it's hard to fill seats for a new show, especially when you have the audience on camera.  Also, paying for audiences, particularly groups, helps ensure that they get the audience that they want and not have a group of seniors in the audience for a sitcom about hip yuppie types.

In fact, the paid audiences aren't always actors--school groups are brought on in exchange for a payment to the school.  I've heard that sitcom actors hate school groups because they're often hostile (most of the kids would be anywhere except sitting in a CBS Studio Center soundstage watching the filming of "Yes, Dear").

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2006, 01:53:16 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 11 2006, 08:47 AM\']I've heard that sitcom actors hate school groups because they're often hostile (most of the kids would be anywhere except sitting in a CBS Studio Center soundstage watching the filming of "Yes, Dear").
[snapback]107308[/snapback]
[/quote]
That would be funny to see:

Kevin James: "Hey, thanks for coming out to see us today..."

Kid: "Hey, you suck!"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2006, 03:30:01 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 11 2006, 11:47 AM\']Family and friends of contestants aren't paid (and the kids would be considered friends in this situation). Just everyone else.  :)
[/quote]
That's not a rules violation?  I thought if someone appeared actively on camera, they had to receive, at the very least, a small stipend.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2006, 03:35:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jan 11 2006, 12:30 PM\']That's not a rules violation?  I thought if someone appeared actively on camera, they had to receive, at the very least, a small stipend.
[snapback]107325[/snapback]
[/quote]
You'd be quite wrong.

tvrandywest

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 03:56:11 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 11 2006, 12:35 PM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jan 11 2006, 12:30 PM\']That's not a rules violation?  I thought if someone appeared actively on camera, they had to receive, at the very least, a small stipend.
[snapback]107325[/snapback]
[/quote]
You'd be quite wrong.
[snapback]107327[/snapback]
[/quote]
Actually, he'd be EXTREMELY wrong. Only professional performers must be compensated for their likeness and/or voice being exhibited. The rates (and a few exceptions to the rule - such as being seen in non-recreated actual news footage) are negotiated in collective bargaining between the producers and the talent unions.

Or are the people being arrested on COPS receiving residuals?!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 04:01:15 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

TimK2003

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2006, 08:23:44 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 11 2006, 11:47 AM\']The reason for doing this, of course, is because the tourists only want to do the shows they've heard of (your Leno, your Ellen, your "Idol," your "TPIR") and it's hard to fill seats for a new show, especially when you have the audience on camera. 
[snapback]107308[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not only that, but not as many of the modern-day shows tape at the familiar studios of the 60s & 70's anymore (NBC Burbank, CBS TV City,...) or at studios just off of tourist-rich Hollywood Blvd (Vine Street Theater, Merv Griffin Theater,...many of these indie theatres are long gone) where tourists could trip over opportunities to see shows as they visited or toured the studios.   Back in the 60's and 70's a good chunk of the shows were taped at the networks' east or west-coast studios, but then there were only 3 networks on TV as well.

Outside of the Big 4 shows on TV today (Millionaire, TPiR, WoF and J!) it's been rare to see any other game shows include a ticket plug within their show, mostly because by the time the shows air, taping is already over and most don't get renewed or they just used canned audiences that will literally applaud and hoot & holler on cue.

And for the shows that still air at prominent, easy-to-find studios (Hollywood Center, WB, Sony...), I would assume it's cheaper for the program's production company or for the studio themselves to "outsource" the jobs of ticket requests, and seat filling to companies like Audiences Unlimited, no?

And BTW, Randy, my wife and I have agreed that "Cops" is one of our favorite Comedy shows.  :-P
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 08:30:02 PM by TimK2003 »

NickS

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2006, 09:24:07 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jan 11 2006, 03:56 PM\']

[snapback]107328[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think the people arrested on COPS might receive something else than residuals if they land in jail, if you know what I mean.

tomalhe

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2006, 08:09:25 PM »
Talk about these paid audience members or actors making their "huge leap" to stardom.  Hehe!  Oh well, someone has to make a living in Hollywood.  I'm sure they're nice or naughty to deal with.
[snapback]107273[/snapback]

I know someone formerly in the LA area who was one of these people paid to give others (late world with Zach among other invites) the clap.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2006, 12:40:19 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jan 11 2006, 03:56 PM\']Actually, he'd be EXTREMELY wrong.[/quote]
Ah.  I stand corrected then.  When I watch The People's Court, they run a disclaimer before the credits that states that "The plantiff and defendant have been paid from a fund for their appearance......".   I thought it was an industry wide standard.  Ah well, at least I know the answer now.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2006, 01:51:52 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jan 12 2006, 09:40 PM\']Ah.  I stand corrected then.  When I watch The People's Court, they run a disclaimer before the credits that states that "The plantiff and defendant have been paid from a fund for their appearance......".   I thought it was an industry wide standard.  Ah well, at least I know the answer now.
[snapback]107528[/snapback]
[/quote]
So you made that assumption based on the People's Court disclaimer?

Where do you get off bagging on xibit777 for doing the same based on a GSN interview with the Perfesser?

The password is "hypocrite". <ding!>

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2006, 02:21:16 AM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' date=\'Jan 10 2006, 05:57 PM\']
But will it be a paid audience again?
[snapback]107175[/snapback]
"Paid audience"? (Pardon my ignorance...)
[/quote]
Randy: Would "non-union extras" be a fair description?

According to a producer I once worked with, the field producers on those shows would carry around a big wad o' bills, from which the "central character" would be offered an inducement to sign the release, so in a sense they were compensated.