Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SB's latest column  (Read 5821 times)

PeterMarshallFan

SB's latest column
« on: August 24, 2003, 09:53:40 PM »
http://tvgameshows.net/column.htm

Interesting article.

[But just LOOK at that picture....especially the guy on the right....is that him?!]

whampyl03

SB's latest column
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2003, 09:57:25 PM »
Link is broken.

EDIT: Well, second time is the charm.  It's working now.

EDIT #2:  Yes, the picture of the guy on the right with the lack of hair is him.  Pretty good article.  Nice read.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2003, 10:07:36 PM by whampyl03 »

Jimmy Owen

SB's latest column
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2003, 10:59:31 PM »
Not to knock a show that has had such longevity, but Steve points out a flaw in the show that the strategy of running out the clock and just sitting there doing nothing could lead to a win.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Brandon Brooks

SB's latest column
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2003, 11:12:31 PM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Aug 24 2003, 08:57 PM\'] EDIT #2:  Yes, the picture of the guy on the right with the lack of hair is him.  Pretty good article.  Nice read. [/quote]
 No, no, no.  That's not what the post was asking.  But the answer is the same; that is him on the right in the black & white picture.

Brandon Brooks

melman1

SB's latest column
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2003, 11:29:30 PM »
We had an \"It's Academic\" show in the Buffalo area too... but I don't think it was quite the same show as Mr. Perfesser describes.  I was on it circa 1980, which was a few years before home VCR's became common.  I wonder if the station kept the tapes?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2003, 03:11:39 AM by melman1 »
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

whampyl03

SB's latest column
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2003, 12:45:14 AM »
No, no, no. That's not what the post was asking. But the answer is the same; that is him on the right in the black & white picture.

OH, he was talking about the B&W picture...  So he did have hair...

(I know I shoulden't be so mean, I'll probably lose all of mine in 20 years.)

davemackey

SB's latest column
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 07:10:37 AM »
Steve, Schmeve. It's all about him.

Hey, when's he gonna interview the Amazing Race winners?

brianhenke

SB's latest column
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2003, 07:34:46 AM »
It's Academic aired in Cincinnati , first on WLWT and then on public TV station WCET into the 1980s.

Brian

The Jehovah's Witnesses distribute Mad magazine?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions!
The leaves start to change color in May?

Fedya

SB's latest column
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2003, 10:14:38 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Aug 25 2003, 06:10 AM\'] Steve, Schmeve. It's all about him.

Hey, when's he gonna interview the Amazing Race winners? [/quote]
 LOL!

Not to get into a debate over gay marriage, but Chip and Reichen certainly bickered like a married couple.  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

inturnaround

SB's latest column
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2003, 10:22:13 AM »
Just a minor nitpick, but when y'all put up a post about Steve Beverly's site, could you come up with a better title than \"SB's Latest Column\" or things like that. There's been at least 5 or 6 threads named something like this before and I often skip them thinking I have already read them. Maybe something like \"SB and It's Academic\" or \"SB recalls his game show loss\".

OB-Game Show: So, when will Chip and Reichen get their own show on Bravo? (Oh, I was watching \"Inside Edition\" this morning -rerun from Friday- and it said that TAR was coming back next summer!)
Joe Coughlin     
Human

BrandonFG

SB's latest column
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2003, 10:34:00 AM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Aug 24 2003, 08:53 PM\'] http://tvgameshows.net/column.htm

Interesting article.

[But just LOOK at that picture....especially the guy on the right....is that him?!] [/quote]
That article's a crock. Everyone knows Quizbusters is the longest-running HS quiz bowl in the country!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2003, 10:34:18 AM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
SB's latest column
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2003, 11:43:47 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Aug 25 2003, 07:22 AM\'] Maybe something like "SB and It's Academic" or "SB recalls his game show loss".
 [/quote]
 Or \"SB Talks About Himself.\"

No, that doesn's work either....
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

SB's latest column
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2003, 02:21:55 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Aug 25 2003, 06:10 AM\']Steve, Schmeve. It's all about him.

Hey, when's he gonna interview the Amazing Race winners?[/quote]
Not until they finish making the plastic bubble for him to sit in while interviewing the Chippendales.  :)

Ian Wallis

SB's latest column
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2003, 02:55:45 PM »
We had an \"It's Academic\" show in the Buffalo area too... but I don't think it was quite the same show as Mr. Perfesser describes. I was on it circa 1980, which was a few years before home VCR's became common. I wonder if the station kept the tapes?

I rememeber the Buffalo version - it was on Channel 4 every Saturday night for many years (right before \"Treasure Hunt\" in the '70s).  It featured three local area high school teams answering educational questions.  Had a catchy theme too - I wonder if the theme was the same for every version of the show.  I know the \"Bowling for Dollars\" cartoon opening and theme were the same everywhere.

As for the station saving tapes, I don't know for sure but I'd venture to guess it's unlikely.  The station I worked at for three years didn't save any in-house production for more than about three months - and that was in the late '80s.  In fact, one time for an anniversary special they had to ask employees if they saved any tapes of original broadcasts from previous years that they could use on the show!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

melman1

SB's latest column
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2003, 06:42:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Aug 25 2003, 11:55 AM\'] I rememeber the Buffalo version - it was on Channel 4 every Saturday night for many years (right before "Treasure Hunt" in the '70s).  It featured three local area high school teams answering educational questions. [/quote]
 Yes, that's it.  I think we were on it in 1980 and 1981.  Unlike Mr. Perfesser, I do not remember anything about it... other than in '80 we won our match and qualified for a playoff match that we lost, and in '81 we also won but didn't make the playoffs.

Our advisor had a trash bag full of index cards, representing every question that had been asked for several years.  Mostly titles and authors to books we'd never seen, and to this day haven't read.  And someone (the shop teacher?) built a set of three panel boxes with buttons, lights and buzzer.

Not exactly the coolest activity in the school, but it only took up one or two hours every week and it got us on TV.

Sorry if I didn't use enough \"I\"'s and \"me\"'s.  I'll try harder next time.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.