Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Catch Phrase is back!  (Read 12089 times)

itiparanoid13

Catch Phrase is back!
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2006, 06:14:42 PM »
Catch Phrase isn't GSN.  It wasn't shot for a particular network.

Brandon Brooks

Catch Phrase is back!
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2006, 07:13:51 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 06:14 PM\']Catch Phrase isn't GSN.  It wasn't shot for a particular network.
[snapback]113210[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well, that blows.

Brandon Brooks

tvwxman

Catch Phrase is back!
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2006, 07:52:04 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 06:14 PM\']Catch Phrase isn't GSN.  It wasn't shot for a particular network.
[snapback]113210[/snapback]
[/quote]

Then the crew behind this is a little late. NATPE was in January booking stuff for the fall. Unless GSN picks this up, don't expect this show to see the light of day until Fall 07, IF it sees the light of day at all.

PS. Yes, I fully accept that a Pax/Spike/Nick/BET/DuMont like network could buy the show for air earlier.... but c'mon people, what network wants a game show these days for it's programming?

PPS. I'm rooting for this show to succeed. But i'm also cognizant of the fact the for it to succeed, it has to be seen by the right audience. Jamming this on USA/TNT/FX/Food so it can get buried in overnights a month later isn't what a new game show needs to survive.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 07:53:38 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

Catch Phrase is back!
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2006, 09:28:27 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 07:52 PM\']Then the crew behind this is a little late. NATPE was in January booking stuff for the fall. Unless GSN picks this up, don't expect this show to see the light of day until Fall 07, IF it sees the light of day at all.

PPS. I'm rooting for this show to succeed. But i'm also cognizant of the fact the for it to succeed, it has to be seen by the right audience. Jamming this on USA/TNT/FX/Food so it can get buried in overnights a month later isn't what a new game show needs to survive.
[snapback]113225[/snapback]
[/quote]
2.5 questions...more like a question and 1.5 observations...
1) Is it too late for the show to be pitched for winter 2007, say January? Yes, I know most midseason syndie games never made it past the end of their second season. Hell, the only one I can think of was Crosswits and that was three decades ago. (No, Zach, I don't want a full list, I'm just making a point)

2) I'm rooting for it to succeed too (was only 2 when the original premiered), and I'm not trying to complain, but I know exactly where this is going with GSN. 13 weeks of new episodes, a year of reruns, then maybe a second season if it gets the ratings. GSN has been good with Lingo, but there's been other shows with far too much potential that started the same time as Lingo, and should still be on (Russian Roulette, Whammy--yes Whammy)

2.5) To be honest, I'd rather have syndication, even if it is another year-and-a-half wait. Better audience and exposure, and if it does well, better shot of renewal without waiting a long time like with GSN.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 09:29:05 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

tvwxman

Catch Phrase is back!
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2006, 04:47:08 AM »
Answers to the best of my TV business knowledge:

[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 09:28 PM\']2.5 questions...more like a question and 1.5 observations...
1) Is it too late for the show to be pitched for winter 2007, say January? Yes, I know most midseason syndie games never made it past the end of their second season. Hell, the only one I can think of was Crosswits and that was three decades ago. (No, Zach, I don't want a full list, I'm just making a point)
[snapback]113231[/snapback]
[/quote]

Jan bookings don't happen much anymore...Weaklink did it, because it was fast tracked after a strong January premiere, and NBC was behind the syndie selling...they took it first to their affiliates, then let the rest fight it out.... so, in effect, NAPTE selling wasn't necessary (this, BTW, is happening more and more, thanks to the corporate consolidation of America)

[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 09:28 PM\']2) I'm rooting for it to succeed too (was only 2 when the original premiered), and I'm not trying to complain, but I know exactly where this is going with GSN. 13 weeks of new episodes, a year of reruns, then maybe a second season if it gets the ratings. GSN has been good with Lingo, but there's been other shows with far too much potential that started the same time as Lingo, and should still be on (Russian Roulette, Whammy--yes Whammy)

2.5) To be honest, I'd rather have syndication, even if it is another year-and-a-half wait. Better audience and exposure, and if it does well, better shot of renewal without waiting a long time like with GSN.
[snapback]113231[/snapback]
[/quote]

The problem with that is there is no guarantee that there will be a second season of shows in syndie....and with syndie ratings being what they are lately, i'm not so sure getting lost in the syndie marketplace is better than a home on a tailormade network that will at least promote it for the better part of that year....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

uncamark

Catch Phrase is back!
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2006, 12:18:03 PM »
There is another possibility--MyNetworkTV.   As of now, they are planning to strip everything and they need backups if the two novelas strands tank.  I don't know if they're looking for a companion to "America's Brainiest" (if that does go series), but it could happen.

And My looks more like a go--they picked up KRON in San Francisco yesterday, the biggest VHF station outside of the Fox-owned stations to sign up so far.  There's nothing available for "Catch Phrase" on that net/platform/whatever until January, but it is a possibility.