Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Newlywed Game Music  (Read 5060 times)

Argo

Newlywed Game Music
« on: January 14, 2006, 09:10:51 PM »
I know most music used on Newlywed Game had been released on the Chuck Barris records, but was wondering if the commercial outro music is available somewhere?

Also, was there some rights violations about some of the music on Newlywed Game? I remember some posts on the old atgs about dubbing over some of the music on some episodes. Anyone have any information about that? I was watching friday's 70s show, and the grand prize music was playing, and the main theme cut in right after, but sounded a lot different quality.

Just wondering.

Thanks
Mark

Ian Wallis

Newlywed Game Music
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 07:17:49 PM »
Also, was there some rights violations about some of the music on Newlywed Game? I remember some posts on the old atgs about dubbing over some of the music on some episodes. Anyone have any information about that?

From info I've gotten over the years, when these shows were originally done in the '70s, cable reruns were not part of the mix.  In other words, no contracts were signed stipulating who got what since nobody knew one day they'd be repeated on cable.  

Most of the shows GSN airs they've been able to clear, but there is some music on '70s "Newlywed Game" and "Treasure Hunt" which would require higher payment to the owners than GSN is willing to pay.  That's why some of the music on "Newlywed Game" has been altered, and why '70s "Tresure Hunt" never really saw the light of day on GSN - it was always the '80s version whenever they aired it.  It's probably also why the late '70s "Dating Game" never saw regular rotation because it used a lot of the same music...althought about a dozen episodes of it did air.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Newlywed Game Music
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 08:03:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 15 2006, 07:17 PM\']That's why some of the music on "Newlywed Game" has been altered, and why '70s "Tresure Hunt" never really saw the light of day on GSN - it was always the '80s version whenever they aired it.  It's probably also why the late '70s "Dating Game" never saw regular rotation because it used a lot of the same music...althought about a dozen episodes of it did air.
[/quote]

...And I THINK I've heard that explained as the reason GSN's been quite hesitant to air "Gong Show" [outside of the marathon].
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Newlywed Game Music
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 09:31:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' date=\'Jan 15 2006, 07:03 PM\']...And I THINK I've heard that explained as the reason GSN's been quite hesitant to air "Gong Show" [outside of the marathon].
[snapback]107744[/snapback]
[/quote]
I think I've mentioned this before, but when I first got GSN in 1998, I called them to find out about some of the particulars of the network.  The switchboard operator wound up putting me through to David Schwartz (<<AdamWurtzel>>I SWARE!<<end/AdamWurtzel).  Schwartz explained to me that regarding GONG they only had about half of the NBC daytime run in their possession, and most of those were cleared for air (there were about twenty something episodes that were not cleared).  So it could be a combination of music clearance issues and some of the tapes just not being in airable shape.  While they were running the series full-time in 1998 and 1999, they did wind up showing about 220 episodes.

I do know that some of the nighttime syndie eps were also in their possession (snippets of which were presented on AS SEEN ON), but none of those eps ever aired on GSN in their entireity.  Also, I do know that one of the eps that were never shown in the regular rotation wound up being shown on AS SEEN ON THEATRE.

I saw Schwartz at last year's Congreff.  I did not remind him of who I was.  :)

Doug
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 09:49:14 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

Newlywed Game Music
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 12:42:53 PM »
It seems to me that in 1994, they had cleared the theme (perhaps because they got the theme free and clear with the Barris program library), but Barris wouldn't clear the interior cues (he didn't write the win cue, so that got cleared).  So they brought in Steve Kaplan or someone like him to write soundalikes they could layer over the original cues.  By 1998 and the appearance of "3s a Crowd" on the GSN schedule, it was obvious that the clearance issue had been resolved (most Barris 70s shows use the same cues, the two fee plug cues especially), but they didn't bother going back and remastering "TNG."

IIRC, what kept and keeps 70s "TH" off of GSN are two Crusaders songs, one of them their minor hit "Put It Where You Want It."  They were both used as bumper cues coming out of the segments where the contestants have picked their boxes, Geoff holds up the cash envelope and says that he'll open it after the break.

Ian Wallis

Newlywed Game Music
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 12:50:29 PM »
IIRC, what kept and keeps 70s "TH" off of GSN are two Crusaders songs, one of them their minor hit "Put It Where You Want It." They were both used as bumper cues coming out of the segments where the contestants have picked their boxes, Geoff holds up the cash envelope and says that he'll open it after the break.

I wonder how the ABC "Dating Game" episodes were ever cleared.  That version used many commercial recordings for outros to commercials and prize descriptions - although many of them were probably "muzak" versions.  Would "muzak" have been easier to clear?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

Newlywed Game Music
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 12:55:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 16 2006, 11:50 AM\']
IIRC, what kept and keeps 70s "TH" off of GSN are two Crusaders songs, one of them their minor hit "Put It Where You Want It." They were both used as bumper cues coming out of the segments where the contestants have picked their boxes, Geoff holds up the cash envelope and says that he'll open it after the break.

I wonder how the ABC "Dating Game" episodes were ever cleared.  That version used many commercial recordings for outros to commercials and prize descriptions - although many of them were probably "muzak" versions.  Would "muzak" have been easier to clear?
[snapback]107789[/snapback]
[/quote]

Generally, standards are easier to clear than contemporary songs (in many cases, they're also cheaper) and certain recordings are always easier to clear than others.  GSN was lucky enough to get enough recordings cleared that they could put together a viable package--and that they got all of the regular cues cleared, particularly those two seminal Herb Alpert cuts.

TimK2003

Newlywed Game Music
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 06:57:48 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 16 2006, 12:42 PM\']What kept and keeps 70s "TH" off of GSN are two Crusaders songs, one of them their minor hit "Put It Where You Want It."  They were both used as bumper cues coming out of the segments where the contestants have picked their boxes, Geoff holds up the cash envelope and says that he'll open it after the break.
[snapback]107788[/snapback]
[/quote]

Does anyone have a sound file or link of said music cues that they could share on the net?  I am wracking my brain trying to remember how those bumper cues went!

Argo

Newlywed Game Music
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 10:25:42 PM »
There is a cue that is used on the 70s Newlywed Game on the commercial outro just before the 25 point bonus question. It is starts off very similar to the Dating Game 70s 'here is your date' cue, but is slower and different notes after the beginning

This is one cue id love to hear