Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Password Plus Finale Week  (Read 14411 times)

Sonic Whammy

Password Plus Finale Week
« on: January 23, 2006, 12:03:27 AM »
Well, got it all IO/Tivo'ed and set to go, the final week of P+ with Tom Poston and Audrey Landers set to air all this week.

I'll ask the obvious question just for the kicks and nothing more...

What kind of odds do you want to lay down on GSN NOT doing the credits squish and actually letting it run?

I'll open the bid with... 15 to 1.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 12:14:01 AM »
I think I will email them and specifically request that they squeeze them as much as possible.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 12:24:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'Jan 23 2006, 12:03 AM\']What kind of odds do you want to lay down on GSN NOT doing the credits squish and actually letting it run?
[snapback]108356[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'll give GSN: The Network For Games the benefit of the doubt and say we'll get a full roll as they did with the NBC Card Sharks finish a few years back. As for the CBS Card Sharks final episode which is also not far off, I believe it'll be scrunch city.
And now, the odds <<cue the Celebrity Sweepstakes scoreboard sound>>
Password Plus finale credits untouched---1:1
CBS Card Sharks finale credits untouched---99:1
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 12:24:46 AM by Don Howard »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 01:21:01 AM »
Squeezed (squozed?) credits are a matter of form on TV today.  If GSN retyped all the credits and ran them down the side on black background during the promo, even that might not pacify everyone.  

One thing that the kids might not know is that NBC generally would cover up the audio for last 30-45 seconds of the show and instead of the show theme there would be whatever network image campaign was being used that season with Danny Dark or Casey Kasem hawking that evening's exciting "Supertrain" or "Hello, Larry."  The themes didn't get heard then, either.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 08:44:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'Jan 23 2006, 12:03 AM\']Well, got it all IO/Tivo'ed and set to go, the final week of P+ with Tom Poston and Audrey Landers set to air all this week.

[snapback]108356[/snapback]
[/quote]

Today's episode is the sixth of the Mcclurg/Rayburn week. The Poston/Landers week is six shows as well, and the final episode will not air until next Tuesday 1/31.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 09:12:25 AM »
And now, the odds <<cue the Celebrity Sweepstakes scoreboard sound>>
Password Plus finale credits untouched---1:1
CBS Card Sharks finale credits untouched---99:1

I'll bet $10 on "Card Sharks"...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 09:15:39 AM »
Today's episode is the sixth of the Mcclurg/Rayburn week. The Poston/Landers week is six shows as well, and the final episode will not air until next Tuesday 1/31.

Strange that they'd do six with each set of celebrities...I guess the airings got out of the Monday-Friday rotation and they wanted to end up with the same celebrities through their final week.

About a year earlier, "Celebrity Whew" was also out of sync, but they did have a different set of celebrities come on for the final two shows.  (Must have been a short taping day!)
NEW LOCATION!!!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 10:32:58 AM »
Please be advised that having seen the finale, there is no full credit roll on the final show.  Kennedy does recite a partial list of credits as the music is playing after the fee plugs.  My guess is that we won't see or hear any of it (especially if Chris E-mails them :) )--they'll cut the show off in mid fee plug.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

dzinkin

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 10:36:23 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 23 2006, 10:32 AM\']Please be advised that having seen the finale, there is no full credit roll on the final show.  Kennedy does recite a partial list of credits as the music is playing after the fee plugs.  My guess is that we won't see or hear any of it (especially if Chris E-mails them :) )--they'll cut the show off in mid fee plug.
[snapback]108380[/snapback]
[/quote]
What if I email them and ask them to bring back WinTV just for the finale? ;-)

SRIV94

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 11:07:31 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jan 23 2006, 09:36 AM\']What if I email them and ask them to bring back WinTV just for the finale? ;-)
[snapback]108381[/snapback]
[/quote]
Then they'll run it in full.  :-P

Doug
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

tvmitch

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 11:53:18 AM »
For those who remember watching this show from week to week - was it normal practice to see a Tuesday episode with one set of celebs, then on Wednesday, a new set? Was this common on these shows?
You should follow me on Twitter

Ian Wallis

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 12:42:18 PM »
In the '70s, CBS was the only network that would "hold" a pre-empted show until the next day.  This would lead to celebrities on "Match Game" et al sometimes changing on a Wednesday.  The other networks seemingly wanted to keep the Monday-Friday cycle and didn't follow suit.

However, NBC had a change of stance in the '80s as old TVGuides confirm that "Password Plus" did have celebrities changing part way through the week towards the end of the run.  It also started happening on "Super Password" around 1987.  I guess they didn't want to just not air an episode.
NEW LOCATION!!!

SRIV94

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 01:02:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 23 2006, 11:42 AM\']However, NBC had a change of stance in the '80s as old TVGuides confirm that "Password Plus" did have celebrities changing part way through the week towards the end of the run.  It also started happening on "Super Password" around 1987.  I guess they didn't want to just not air an episode.
[snapback]108390[/snapback]
[/quote]
But at least on SP, they would tape a four-show week to compensate for a news pre-emption.  This was also evident on $otC.

Doug
Doug

trainman

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 01:23:48 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 22 2006, 10:21 PM\']One thing that the kids might not know is that NBC generally would cover up the audio for last 30-45 seconds of the show and instead of the show theme there would be whatever network image campaign was being used that season with Danny Dark or Casey Kasem hawking that evening's exciting "Supertrain" or "Hello, Larry."  The themes didn't get heard then, either.
[snapback]108367[/snapback]
[/quote]

...and in some places, the NBC affiliate would cover up NBC's promo with their own promo.  So instead of hearing the network announcer talk over the "Proud As a Peacock" music, you'd be hearing a local news anchor talk over the exciting "Theme From the 6 O'Clock News."  Whoopee.
trainman is a man of trains

pyrfan

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 03:54:13 PM »
In the summer of 1987, game show broadcasts got thrown off because of the Iran Contra hearings. Sometimes the morning airing of "The $25,000 Pyramid" got bumped to 2:00 in the afternoon. In fact, "Pyramid" showed repeats for four weeks until the hearings were over.

"Super Password" was pre-empted once in May of that year, and they did tape a few four-day weeks to try to get back on track, but there would always be another pre-emption before those four-day weeks aired, so they'd still be off. They finally got caught up in August, after the hearings came to a close. I know that near the end of the run, news reports caused them to be thrown off schedule again. They had to tape a few six-show weeks to get back on track for the final two weeks.

Brendan