Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2006 Toy Fair preview  (Read 4482 times)

Bob Zager

2006 Toy Fair preview
« on: January 27, 2006, 01:01:16 PM »
Below is a link to a special Toy Fair preview "magazine," featuring articles and ads from many manufacturers of toys and games, scheduled to be present at the annual Toy Fair in NYC, in February.  After clicking the link, scroll down to the fourth page (out of 56 pages), and you'll see what's to come from Endless Games this year!

http://www.toy-tia.org/Content/NavigationM...T06-Preview.pdf

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
2006 Toy Fair preview
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 01:32:07 PM »
Looks to be interesting...is anyone going to have the chance to attend this, or is this for industry people only?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dzinkin

2006 Toy Fair preview
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 01:40:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jan 27 2006, 01:32 PM\']Looks to be interesting...is anyone going to have the chance to attend this, or is this for industry people only?
[snapback]108832[/snapback]
[/quote]
Industry and media types only, per the web site and downloadable registration form.

bulldog_06

2006 Toy Fair preview
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 01:41:26 PM »
I like the fact that Password, Match Game, and the Newlywed Game will (hopefully) make it to stores in the upcoming year.

Pyramid80

2006 Toy Fair preview
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 01:52:33 PM »
[quote name=\'bulldog_06\' date=\'Jan 27 2006, 12:41 PM\']I like the fact that Password, Match Game, and the Newlywed Game will (hopefully) make it to stores in the upcoming year.
[snapback]108837[/snapback]
[/quote]
Same here!  Maybe the Password game will be released as Super Password or Password +.

bulldog_06

2006 Toy Fair preview
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 02:28:33 PM »
Then probably next year Pyramid, Card Sharks, Wheel or Press Your Luck will come out in 2007.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
2006 Toy Fair preview
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 02:34:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Jan 27 2006, 10:52 AM\']Same here!  Maybe the Password game will be released as Super Password or Password +.
[snapback]108838[/snapback]
[/quote]
The Password game comes with goofy glasses, ostensibly to "decode" the word the same way you do with the card wallets in the home game.

What. The. Hell.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Adam Nedeff

2006 Toy Fair preview
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 03:22:11 PM »
I couldn't care less about "The Newlywed Game", so we'll ignore that.

As far as "Match Game" goes, this is a golden opportunity to correct the problem Matt O. always brings up about these types of games. The DVD format can go a long way in "recapturing the magic" of the show, and if I'm the one in charge of designing it, I decide to rip off the Match Game slot machine and have the DVD game hosted by a cartoon Gene Rayburn, with an animated celebrity panel. The pessimist in me worries that we'll be getting Todd Newton reading each question, then saying "Did you match?" over and over again until you turn the game off.

"Password" and the magic glasses are perplexing indeed, and this is a case where they really DO need to rip off the slot machine, because the elephant in the room here is "Why do we even need a DVD version of THIS?" The regular box games are unneccesary as it is (a pocket dictionary and a pen are just as good) so I hope somebody realizes that the bells and whistles are important for this one.

OFF-TOPIC: Page 16's "Super Add-Ons" probably my favorite non-GS related thing here, with its promise of exciting "Subway" and "Elevator" features for your regular boring old game of Monopoly. I guess it's true what they say...Those who fail to learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

clemon79

2006 Toy Fair preview
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 03:59:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Jan 27 2006, 12:22 PM\']I guess it's true what they say...Those who fail to learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
[snapback]108843[/snapback]
[/quote]
I dunno if I should be ashamed or proud to say that I own a Monopoly Playmaster.

It really wasn't that bad, if you took the time to learn how the interface worked. (Unsurprisingly, it was a lot easier than the linked review, which was clearly making more effort to be funny than it was to disburse actual information, made it out to be.) Most of the things the Playmaster did were designed to get the properties out to the players faster (via random forced auctions, instead of waiting a billion extra turns for someone to FINALLY make the roll that lands on Tennessee Avenue and unlocks the game), then to get the properties turned into Monopolies faster (via Buybacks, which bought up unmatched color groups and then auctioned them off as a set), and finally to encourage players to get themselves deeper into debt faster (via Loans, which allowed you to take out a loan against a Monopoly (different than a mortgage, as you can't build on a property when it's mortgaged), and was called in randomly after a certain time period), which would then create bankruptcies sooner, thereby speeding up the game. In doing this it made the game more random, which might bother some people, but if you're playing Monopoly in the first place you obviously don't care about that anyhow.

The main reason it failed was because very few people play Monopoly by the rules in the box...most people (including myself, at the time) use house rules (the Free Parking jackpot, double salary if you land on Go exactly, etc.) that artificially infuse more money into the game, which totally breaks all of the game enhancements that I've outlined above. So nobody Got It. (And, as a result, nobody bought it.) And it took the dice out of your hand. People like rolling dice.

The knocks on Monopoly are threefold: it's too random, it's too political, and it's too long. The first two are very legitimate complaints (and are the main reasons why Monopoly is so reviled among serious gamers), but the third one really isn't...when I've played following the letter of the rules in the box, you can get through a game in under 2 hours.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 04:02:10 PM by clemon79 »

aaron sica

2006 Toy Fair preview
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 04:20:00 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 27 2006, 03:59 PM\']The main reason it failed was because very few people play Monopoly by the rules in the box...most people (including myself, at the time) use house rules (the Free Parking jackpot, double salary if you land on Go exactly, etc.) that artificially infuse more money into the game, which totally breaks all of the game enhancements that I've outlined above.
[snapback]108846[/snapback]
[/quote]

Along those same lines of house rules.......On most Monopoly computer/video games I've seen, if the person who lands on the property does not want it, it goes up for auction. I have never played the actual board game with anyone who goes by that. Is that a "house rule" as well?

ObGameShow: Monopoly.

clemon79

2006 Toy Fair preview
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 04:33:51 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jan 27 2006, 01:20 PM\']Along those same lines of house rules.......On most Monopoly computer/video games I've seen, if the person who lands on the property does not want it, it goes up for auction. I have never played the actual board game with anyone who goes by that. Is that a "house rule" as well?
[snapback]108849[/snapback]
[/quote]
Is *not* auctioning off a refused property a house rule? Definitely. By the game rules, when a properly is landed on, it WILL end up in someone's possession before the next player's turn, either by the active player buying it outright, or by someone buying it at auction.

(Okay, it could happen that nobody bids, not even $1. But if you don't have a single player in that game willing to bid AT LEAST the mortgage value of a property ('cuz you could turn around, hock it, and get your money right back, PLUS you now have control of that property), then those folks really ought to put the game away and pull out something less mentally taxing, like Hi-Ho-Cherry-O.)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 04:35:33 PM by clemon79 »