Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Game Show Home Game In Disguise?  (Read 4372 times)

TimK2003

A Game Show Home Game In Disguise?
« on: January 25, 2006, 06:49:02 PM »
Saw THIS at my local educational toy shop today.

The game is called Heximania, which is made by the same people who bring you Classroom Jeopardy!, Educational Insights.

The game is kinda like a cross between Scrabble and Boggle, but played on a hexagonal board.

Though the photo on the link does not do the game justice, there are 50 hexagon tiles that can fit onto the durable plastic playing board which can be easily modified into a Blockbusters game board.  With 50 tiles, you have 26 alphabet tiles for use in the game and another 24 to use the backsides for player/team colors and/or 'blocks' in the Gold Run round..

And all can be yours for under $25.00 -- helluva lot cheaper than the $300+ Classroom J! game.

(Blockbusters questions, Bill Cullen and Bob Hilton not included)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 06:50:48 PM by TimK2003 »

Jay Temple

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 12:01:52 PM »
Bill Cullen and Bob Hilton not included
At least not until they re-open the Pet Sematary.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 12:17:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Jan 26 2006, 01:01 PM\']
Bill Cullen and Bob Hilton not included
At least not until they re-open the Pet Sematary.[/quote]
You guys will let me know, right?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

jmangin

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 12:18:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 26 2006, 12:17 PM\']You guys will let me know, right?
[snapback]108719[/snapback]
[/quote]

"You got to bury your own."

alfonzos

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 03:05:54 PM »
The Heximanina gameboard is nice but you might be better off trying to find the Waddington's edition of Blockbusters on eBay. It's sturdy and well-made. Waddingtons also made a kids version of the game called Junior Blockbusters.

Too bad Gold Run is only available as a separate card game.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 03:16:34 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Jan 26 2006, 03:05 PM\']The Heximanina gameboard is nice but you might be better off trying to find the Waddington's edition of Blockbusters on eBay.[/quote]
Would you like to pay my shipping charges? :)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 08:17:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 26 2006, 12:17 PM\']You guys will let me know, right?[/quote]

Oh, you'll know.

"This fall, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire returns to ABC, the way Michael Davies originally envisioned it!"

"Man, every MillionaireIM I've gotten this week was about brains."
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 10:14:20 AM »
Going completely off-topic, I already own one item from the Educational Insights catalog -- an abstract board game called Blokus.  Probably one of my favorite ways to kill 20 minutes.  It's the only game I know that's full of backstabbing and screwing people over, yet is labeled as "Ages 5 to Adult."

Highly recommended.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 02:14:20 PM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' date=\'Jan 27 2006, 07:14 AM\']Going completely off-topic, I already own one item from the Educational Insights catalog -- an abstract board game called Blokus.  Probably one of my favorite ways to kill 20 minutes.  It's the only game I know that's full of backstabbing and screwing people over, yet is labeled as "Ages 5 to Adult."
[/quote]
Blokus is indeed a fine game. There's a new one that came out recently called GemBlo that uses little hexes stuck together instead of squares, on a six-sided board. I haven't played it, but the bits are gorgeous. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 09:28:16 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 27 2006, 02:14 PM\'][quote name=\'parliboy\' date=\'Jan 27 2006, 07:14 AM\']Going completely off-topic, I already own one item from the Educational Insights catalog -- an abstract board game called Blokus.  Probably one of my favorite ways to kill 20 minutes.  It's the only game I know that's full of backstabbing and screwing people over, yet is labeled as "Ages 5 to Adult."
[/quote]
Blokus is indeed a fine game. There's a new one that came out recently called GemBlo that uses little hexes stuck together instead of squares, on a six-sided board. I haven't played it, but the bits are gorgeous. :)
[snapback]108840[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have played it (someone from one of my gaming groups brought it in a few months back after an Asian trip -- source of original distribution); and while the bits are indeed gorgeous, it tries to make itself more pompous and important than it is.  The price tag at the time -- $60, was way too steep for my taste (although I just bit for a Settlers 10th Anniversary chest, so that excuse is out the window).

But oh, so so pretty.

(Insert HomerDrool here.)
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."