Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Game Prices...  (Read 6839 times)

Speedy G

TPIR Game Prices...
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2006, 01:45:33 PM »
I completely disagree. I think it's way more reasonable to assume somebody will think, "gee, a lot of prices on this show seem to end in 5 and 0," than it is to assume somebody will think, "gee, having paint sealant and fabric protectant on cars seems to cause their prices to end in 2 or 7," since the first one basically involves watching the show a few times, whereas the second involves majorly overanalysing it.
And by watching the show, it seems that a good portion of the audience has figured out the 5 or 0 rule.  Never the chucklehead on stage, but most of the audience takes it as a rule that you go for the 5 or 0 first.

On the other hand, I've NEVER seen someone actively move to take advantage of the paint sealant/fabric protectant being mentioned in the prize copy.  To expect Joe Plinko to know that is absurd.

Conversely to THAT, it seems that there's a contestant every week who says "I've been watching since I was 3... now how do you play Check Game again?"  So you never know.
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
TPIR Game Prices...
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2006, 10:44:07 AM »
I have to side with the people who say this isn't over-analyzing.  Recognizing patterns in pricing is part of the game that the audience-brain knows, even if the individual contestants are sometimes idiots.  Try ending a price in "6" when you're playing 10 Chances and tell me they don't.

Now, whether you want to call it "common knowledge" is argueable.  Could we meet halfway and say that it's "basic game strategy"?
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

zachhoran

TPIR Game Prices...
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2006, 10:53:55 AM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' date=\'Jan 30 2006, 10:44 AM\']
  Try ending a price in "6" when you're playing 10 Chances and tell me they don't.

[snapback]109046[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ditto for the second prize in Safe Crackers, which has ended in zero for years(though in the early years of the CBS TPIR and on TNPIR94, the prices didn't always end in zero). It seems to me that contestants always end their guesses in zero on Safe Crackers, while not always on Ten Chances.

ChuckNet

TPIR Game Prices...
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 08:48:14 PM »
I'll also agree that the "prices usually end in 5 or 0" rule is a basic strategy that most regular viewers should be familiar with...doesn't strike me as over-analysis at all.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")