Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Password Plus" questions  (Read 5704 times)

b_masters9

"Password Plus" questions
« on: January 31, 2006, 04:24:37 PM »
I have some questions about two moments from TK's portion of the run of "Password Plus" concerning "The Salem Sisters" and "Harry":

1. First, Kathy (P+ contestant) and Betty White solved two puzzles with one clue. On the first one, they got "owl" from "night" and won the game; that made Dick and Tom really mad, and Tom hustled Kathy and Betty over to the Alphabetics area. On the second one, they got "mirage" from "oasis", and with that one, also won the game. After the second one, Betty said "The Salem Sisters are back"-- what did she mean by that?

2. Did either of the two aforementioned one-clue solutions come as part of the same episode that had the "France-French" blooper?

3. About "Harry"-- according to the judges and Tom, "Harry" and "hairy" are pronounced slightly differently. Tom demonstrated this on a chalkboard and showed us that "Harry" had a short "a" (one with a curve on top that dipped down to the right and returned to the top) as in "pat". I earlier looked in the Webster's New World Dictionary and the World Book Dictionary, and under the entry for "Harry" (which is both a proper name and a verb) there is no mark like that above the "a". Do you think that Tom might have been mistaken, or do you think that he was right when he said that "Harry" had a short "a"?

Ben
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 04:06:47 AM by b_masters9 »

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 06:23:24 PM »
Different dictionaries have been known to use different means of showing pronunciation. I believe that many use no mark over short vowels, making it a sort of default. I just found said mark used after a Google lookup, though. So, in that sense, Tom and the judges were right.

Where they were wrong, IMO, is not acknowledging common regional accents. Most of the people I know would call "harry" and "hairy" homophones. (Well, okay, they'd say they sound the same.) SEE ALSO "Wendy", "windy", and me throwing things at the TV during an episode of '80s Pyramid.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 06:29:26 PM »
And I will assume the Salem thing is a reference to the Salem witch trials.

(And the French/France thing MIGHT be the most overrated game show "moment" in history. Just my own opinion.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 09:33:36 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 31 2006, 06:29 PM\'](And the French/France thing MIGHT be the most overrated game show "moment" in history. Just my own opinion.)
[snapback]109161[/snapback]
[/quote]
It's not just you.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 09:38:47 PM »
I'll give it this much. It's funny the first time. But that's all.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 09:38:58 PM by whoserman »

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 10:58:54 PM »
I think the varying opinion is right there in the clip. They're getting the giggles, which is pretty much having something hit your funny bone just the right way. If you're not giggling at what they're giggling at, you're reduced to finding amusement simply in watching people giggle--not an easy task.

I find it moderately amusing, although I view most of it as the perfect setup for the "pate" moment.

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 07:44:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jan 31 2006, 10:58 PM\']I think the varying opinion is right there in the clip. They're getting the giggles, which is pretty much having something hit your funny bone just the right way. If you're not giggling at what they're giggling at, you're reduced to finding amusement simply in watching people giggle--not an easy task.

I find it moderately amusing, although I view most of it as the perfect setup for the "pate" moment.
[snapback]109175[/snapback]
[/quote]

The damned segment took almost nine minutes. Perhaps this segment inspired some ultra-long puzzle rounds on SP that look a lot longer than they should have, due to second/third-tirer celeb banter and hi-jinks.

tvwxman

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 07:51:05 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 1 2006, 07:44 AM\']The damned segment took almost nine minutes.
[snapback]109181[/snapback]
[/quote]

'Damned' ? Again ?  Has Zach "Dice" Horan entered the forum?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 12:57:18 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Feb 1 2006, 04:51 AM\']'Damned' ? Again ?  Has Zach "Dice" Horan entered the forum?
[snapback]109182[/snapback]
[/quote]
"Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet...
...which EVERYONE should know she'd been sitting on since the 1/4/79 episode of Password Plus, which featured Ross Martin and Judy Norton Taylor, as cited in an ATGS post on 7/4/96."

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 05:18:41 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 1 2006, 12:57 PM\']"Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet...
...which EVERYONE should know she'd been sitting on since the 1/4/79 episode of Password Plus, which featured Ross Martin and Judy Norton Taylor, as cited in an ATGS post on 7/4/96."
[snapback]109200[/snapback]
[/quote]
Uh oh.

Shut up Zach. It's a JOKE. We all know P+ wouldn't start for another several days. STFU and laugh at the joke.

Sorry Lemon. If I didn't say something, Zach would. I'll be in the TTD90 room but no WHOOOOOOOSH'g.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 05:33:19 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 1 2006, 04:18 PM\']Shut up Zach. It's a JOKE.
[snapback]109222[/snapback]
[/quote]
And a damn good one at that.  Goodness, I wish I had that kind of wit.

Doug -- and the countdown to 1800 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 06:12:08 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Feb 1 2006, 05:33 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 1 2006, 04:18 PM\']Shut up Zach. It's a JOKE.
[/quote]
[snapback]109228[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh no doubt. I die a little on the inside anytime I have to do a joke disclaimer. :-P

Fedya

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 11:58:44 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Feb 1 2006, 05:33 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 1 2006, 04:18 PM\']Shut up Zach. It's a JOKE.
[/quote]
[snapback]109228[/snapback]
[/quote]
It certainly beats the "Bed, Bath, and Beyond" joke.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 12:33:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Feb 2 2006, 08:58 PM\']It certainly beats the "Bed, Bath, and Beyond" joke.
[snapback]109326[/snapback]
[/quote]
The sad thing is, I think most of the people who go to the Trippa-B well don't even know the etymology of the joke, which refers to a moment in the finale of the first season of Drawn Together. :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 12:33:18 AM by clemon79 »

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 12:41:51 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 3 2006, 12:33 AM\']The sad thing is, I think most of the people who go to the Trippa-B well don't even know the etymology of the joke, which refers to a moment in the finale of the first season of Drawn Together. :)[/quote]

Small blessings.