Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Question  (Read 5557 times)

PalCatIN

TPIR Question
« on: February 05, 2006, 11:56:05 PM »
I had an idea for a game that TPIR could use.  I'm sure I'd never get to give it to them, and I'll never be rich anyway, so I'm going to put it here and see what you guys think of it.

I'd call it "Cash Cars", but if anyone can improve on that, please feel free.  The contestant would come up from contestant's row to see a big game board, and, of course, the cars.  The board would show 2 side-by-side columns of 4 slots.  The left side would be covered signs, each listing what car belonged there, with the fourth representing the appropriate amount of cash.  During the game, the right side would show the values of what the contestant put in.  The game would be played with 4 cars.

To set-up the game for play, the MSRPs of all the cars would be looked at by the producers, and three of them would be chosen at random.  Enough cash would be added to the total to equal exactly $100,000.  The contestant would be given 1 freebie at the start of the game, and then have to choose the other 2 on their own.  The prices of their choices would then be placed on the right hand side of the board.  When added to the cash amount (which would also be revealed at the start of the game), if the contestant's choices added up  to $100,000 exactly, they would win not only the cash, but all 4 cars.

However, before the final reveal, the player would get one chance to change their minds.  After the choices are made, one of the 2 the contestant chose would obviously be correct, so that would also be revealed.  This would leave the contestant with a 50/50 chance of winning.  So, if the contestant so chooses, they can give up the cash amount to "switch" the cars.  If correct, they still win the 4 cars, just not the cash.  If they switch and they're wrong, they, of course, lose.  Of course, if they refuse the switch, and are right, they win everything.  If no switch, and they're wrong, of course, they lose everything.

To play an example, let's take these four cars:

Hyundai Sonata $22,895
Buick Lucerne $34,990
Ford Fusion $22,360
Volkswagen New Beetle $23,615

Using these cars (and the prices I got off the Company Websites), we can choose the 1st, 2nd, and 4th cars, to get a total up to that point of $81,500.  This means the cash amount, listed at the start, would be $18,500.  If we gave the player the Lucerne, and they chose the Sonata and the Fusion, we know they would lose, unless they used the $18,500 to change to the New Beetle and win.  If they chose the Sonata and the New Beetle, of course, we'd know they would not want to switch, as they would win.

So, what do you think?  Not any more complicated than many of the others, and certainly a worthwhile prize, no?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
TPIR Question
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 12:09:41 AM »
[quote name=\'PalCatIN\' date=\'Feb 6 2006, 12:56 AM\']I had an idea for a game that TPIR could use.  I'm sure I'd never get to give it to them, and I'll never be rich anyway, so I'm going to put it here and see what you guys think of it.

<recap snipped to prevent massive overquoting>

So, what do you think?  Not any more complicated than many of the others, and certainly a worthwhile prize, no?
[snapback]109541[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'll be kind...it smacks of Mo' Money syndrome, and if you notice in the game you reference (Triple Play), the total value of the prices isn't as much as you think it is.

Any of the wolves want a shot?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR Question
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 12:28:24 AM »
[quote name=\'PalCatIN\' date=\'Feb 5 2006, 08:56 PM\']When added to the cash amount (which would also be revealed at the start of the game), if the contestant's choices added up  to $100,000 exactly, they would win not only the cash, but all 4 cars.

[snapback]109541[/snapback]
[/quote]
Okay. Let me consider this carefully.

. o O (BAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!)

Okay, I'm done.

No.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

TPIR Question
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 12:32:17 AM »
I'm not gonna nitpick the two foreign cars b/c this is hypothetical...wait, I just did. :-P

Anyways, it has potential, but I would drop the cash bonus...esp. when the bonus is almost as much as one of the cars. I like the idea of figuring out the three prices that add to a certain amount, or even make it so that the three cars have to exceed a set amount.

The only thing is, it would be way too similar to Take Two and...I can't remember the other game, but I think it involves selecting prizes to exceed an amount.

I give you a B
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Brandon Brooks

TPIR Question
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 12:45:44 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 6 2006, 12:32 AM\']The only thing is, it would be way too similar to Take Two and...I can't remember the other game, but I think it involves selecting prizes to exceed an amount.
[snapback]109548[/snapback]
[/quote]
Clearance Sale?

Brandon Brooks

Jeremy Nelson

TPIR Question
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 12:55:53 AM »
Barker's Markers?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Brandon Brooks

TPIR Question
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 01:07:14 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' date=\'Feb 6 2006, 12:55 AM\']Barker's Markers?
[snapback]109550[/snapback]
[/quote]
Based on his description, he's not referencing this game.

Brandon Brooks

BrandonFG

TPIR Question
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 01:14:05 AM »
Nope...not Clearance Sale...I took a look at Brad Francini's page, and it seems like I was describing a reverse version of Credit Card. :-P
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Robert Hutchinson

TPIR Question
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 02:23:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Feb 6 2006, 01:07 AM\'][quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' date=\'Feb 6 2006, 12:55 AM\']Barker's Markers?[/quote]
Based on his description, he's not referencing this game.[/quote]

It's not what he's referencing, no, but the game dynamic is almost identical. "Here are X slots. Fill them with X-1 choices. We know that you have X-2 of them right, so let's reveal that many. Give back the cash to switch, but the cash is still forfeit if you don't switch and lose." (I was going to reply "Hey, Barker's Car-kers!" until my thunder was stolen, doggong it.)

Someone who knows nothing about car prices and everything about probability will win this game (minus the cash) 2/3 of the time, by always switching. Someone who actually knows car prices stands an even better chance. If you think the TPIR producers are going to put $100,000 in cash and prizes on the line with *those* odds--yeah. (Compare to Golden Road or Triple Play, each of which has "raw odds" of 1 in 24 of being won.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Craig Karlberg

TPIR Question
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 03:40:07 AM »
This one reminds me a bit like Credit Card(where you must stay within the upper limits) & Barker's Markers(where at least x cars are right with the first pick).  I could also see a slight resemblence to Shopping Spree of sorts only in reverse.  It's a good attempt that somehow creates flaws in decision-making.  The only way I can see this would work is to be played in the same manner as the "Big 3" as far as frequency goes(about once a month if budgetary conditions apply).  Otherwise, cut the cash bonus.

clemon79

TPIR Question
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 03:55:22 AM »
You guys are far more generous than I...I couldn't get past the idea that some chucklehead seriously suggested a game that gave away $100,000+ in cash and cars. I didn't bother to analyze it long enough to realize that it sucked and had already been done about four different ways, too. :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 03:56:25 AM by clemon79 »

PalCatIN

TPIR Question
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 07:46:02 PM »
Guess it's a good thing I don't work for the show.  ;)

clemon79

TPIR Question
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 08:13:14 PM »
[quote name=\'PalCatIN\' date=\'Feb 6 2006, 04:46 PM\']Guess it's a good thing I don't work for the show.  ;)
[snapback]109600[/snapback]
[/quote]
It is, at least, readily apparent why you don't.

Robert Hutchinson

TPIR Question
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 09:11:56 PM »
. . . "doggong it"? Hutchinson, Hutchinson, Hutchinson . . .
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

dzinkin

TPIR Question
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 09:16:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Feb 6 2006, 09:11 PM\']. . . "doggong it"? Hutchinson, Hutchinson, Hutchinson . . .
[snapback]109611[/snapback]
[/quote]
I believe Mr. Scherer knows a thing or two about the Doggong Show. ;-)