Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stephen Sondheim on Password  (Read 7660 times)

Matt Ottinger

Stephen Sondheim on Password
« on: February 11, 2006, 10:30:56 AM »
Sondheim appeared on a primetime Password back in late 1966, and since GSN has run most of the primetime Passwords, I wonder if anybody knows whether this one has aired, and if not, why not?  I have a Broadway fan who wanted to know, and I've been kinda out of the whole tape trading sphere for a couple of years now.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 02:57:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 11 2006, 10:30 AM\']I have a Broadway fan who wanted to know,
[snapback]109937[/snapback]
[/quote]

Uh, make that *two.*  'Specially since we lost GSN.
czambo@mac.com

catkins522

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 05:43:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Feb 11 2006, 02:57 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 11 2006, 10:30 AM\']I have a Broadway fan who wanted to know,
[snapback]109937[/snapback]
[/quote]

Uh, make that *two.*  'Specially since we lost GSN.
[snapback]109951[/snapback]
[/quote]

Me three.

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

pyrfan

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 07:35:11 PM »
Matt, I'm not knocking your source, but I don't show any listing for Stephen Sondheim playing "Password" - daytime or nighttime - in 1966, or any other year. The only game appearances I can find for him are two times on "Get the Message" and one day on the '60s "Match Game."

mmb5

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 11:35:55 PM »
This source (http://www.sondheimreview.com/v7n4.htm) says he did on 25 December 1966.  The Big 4 Page says that the celebs were Lee Remick and Peter Lawford, but the Sondheim source says it was an all celebrity show with Sondheim playing with Remick.

The source also says he played on Match Game on 1 November of that year.  matchgame.org has it as an "all celebrity week", none of my newspaper sources list the celebrities for that week.

--Mike (I really shouldn't look at this forum right before I go to bed, I wanted to go to bed 30 minutes ago)
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 01:20:08 AM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Feb 12 2006, 08:35 PM\']This source (http://www.sondheimreview.com/v7n4.htm) says he did on 25 December 1966.  The Big 4 Page says that the celebs were Lee Remick and Peter Lawford, but the Sondheim source says it was an all celebrity show with Sondheim playing with Remick.

The source also says he played on Match Game on 1 November of that year.  matchgame.org has it as an "all celebrity week", none of my newspaper sources list the celebrities for that week.

--Mike (I really shouldn't look at this forum right before I go to bed, I wanted to go to bed 30 minutes ago)
[snapback]110026[/snapback]
[/quote]

The show from 12/25/66 is not currently known to exist-- it might very well have been an "all celebrity" show, since it was a holiday.  On a related note, as I checked my sources, I was told that there is a mistake in the listings that I have to mend, to the effect that the folowing week's show is actually the first CBS primetime colorcast.

Unfortunately, since the tape hasn't yet been found, I can't verify that...

-Kevin

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 05:22:47 AM »
The TV Guide listing for 12/25/66 shows Lawford and Remick only and it is listed as a color telecast, but (splitting hairs here) since it was scheduled for 5pm on Sunday, it was not a primetime airing.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 05:23:51 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 05:48:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Feb 13 2006, 02:22 AM\']The TV Guide listing for 12/25/66 shows Lawford and Remick only and it is listed as a color telecast, but (splitting hairs here) since it was scheduled for 5pm on Sunday, it was not a primetime airing.
[snapback]110038[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks, Jimmy-- I had a feeling that was the case, and I may have even double-checked that before I posted the info.  Given that there's a primetime TTTT from the same 12/66 time frame that's in color, and that CBS was supposed to be "all color" in primetime for the 1966/67 season, it seemed to stand to reason.

-Kevin

uncamark

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 12:48:53 PM »
[quote name=\'TwoInchQuad\' date=\'Feb 13 2006, 04:48 AM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Feb 13 2006, 02:22 AM\']The TV Guide listing for 12/25/66 shows Lawford and Remick only and it is listed as a color telecast, but (splitting hairs here) since it was scheduled for 5pm on Sunday, it was not a primetime airing.
[snapback]110038[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks, Jimmy-- I had a feeling that was the case, and I may have even double-checked that before I posted the info.  Given that there's a primetime TTTT from the same 12/66 time frame that's in color, and that CBS was supposed to be "all color" in primetime for the 1966/67 season, it seemed to stand to reason.
[snapback]110039[/snapback]
[/quote]

It seems to me that outside of airing the last prime time show of 1967 on the last show New Year's Eve marathon a few years ago (which was chopped up for syndication with all references to it being the final show taken out), GSN has not aired any of the 1966-67 color prime time "Password" shows.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 01:21:14 PM »
It seems to me that outside of airing the last prime time show of 1967 on the last show New Year's Eve marathon a few years ago (which was chopped up for syndication with all references to it being the final show taken out), GSN has not aired any of the 1966-67 color prime time "Password" shows

They have indeed. When I got GSN in September 1997, color primetime Password aired on weeknights up until October 11.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 01:49:20 PM »
They have indeed. When I got GSN in September 1997, color primetime Password aired on weeknights up until October 11.

I can vouch for that.  When GSN first went on the air and had the Goodson-Todman shows as part of Prime Games, they ran all the "Password" primetime shows, including the color season.  There weren't many primetime shows that were in color though as it was a mid-season replacement on the original CBS schedule.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

mmb5

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 03:48:36 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 13 2006, 12:48 PM\']It seems to me that outside of airing the last prime time show of 1967 on the last show New Year's Eve marathon a few years ago (which was chopped up for syndication with all references to it being the final show taken out), GSN has not aired any of the 1966-67 color prime time "Password" shows.
[snapback]110050[/snapback]
[/quote]

The episode shown during the Shelley Winters tribute was a prime time episode (5 February 1967).

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.