Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Eubanks (/Rafferty) CS set question  (Read 7444 times)

catnap1972

Eubanks (/Rafferty) CS set question
« on: February 04, 2006, 11:18:55 AM »
I don't remember if anyone asked this one before...did they ever have an accident with one of those giant lighted cards that slides over to "cover" the front game (the ones the contestant stands in front of during the Money Cards)?  In the early episodes (somewhere up into the middle of the Raffety run) they had the cards tilt for an added effect but stopped doing that before the Rafferty episodes ended.  It always seemed like they had a heck of a time getting them to tilt and whenever they uprighted them, it looked like they came down with a hard thud.

Makes me wonder if one of them fell over at some point (or close to it) and they decided the added effect was too much of a hazard to risk.

tyshaun1

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 12:06:09 PM »
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 11:18 AM\']I don't remember if anyone asked this one before...did they ever have an accident with one of those giant lighted cards that slides over to "cover" the front game (the ones the contestant stands in front of during the Money Cards)?  In the early episodes (somewhere up into the middle of the Raffety run) they had the cards tilt for an added effect but stopped doing that before the Rafferty episodes ended.  It always seemed like they had a heck of a time getting them to tilt and whenever they uprighted them, it looked like they came down with a hard thud.

Makes me wonder if one of them fell over at some point (or close to it) and they decided the added effect was too much of a hazard to risk.
[snapback]109458[/snapback]
[/quote]
Me thinks they stopped that when they added the car platform to the set, but probably for precautionary measures as well.

Tyshaun

tvwxman

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 12:47:59 PM »
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 11:18 AM\']Makes me wonder if one of them fell over at some point (or close to it) and they decided the added effect was too much of a hazard to risk.
[snapback]109458[/snapback]
[/quote]

Which was too bad, because (IMO), it was the only decent thing on an otherwise underwhelming set. To me, the NBC set is far superior.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

William_S.

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 10:57:46 PM »
'Twas, If it were me, I'd choose the Face card Motif to the Bland Red aces set.
Something about the NBC studio's sets had more Oomph to that of CBS'.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 11:08:59 PM »
[quote name=\'William_S.\' date=\'Feb 5 2006, 10:57 PM\']'Twas, If it were me, I'd choose the Face card Motif to the Bland Red aces set.
[snapback]109536[/snapback]
[/quote]
To me, both sets had their ups and downs.

NBC set: I liked the stucco Aces, but it seemed like it was missing something. I don't know if the tapes have just aged, but the set seemed dark, and I always thought Perry's podium was about to tip over. ;-)

CBS set: Flashier, and I liked how the Aces 1) tilted in the first season, and 2) slid out of the way for the card board to swing in. Minus points for a hand-operated freeze bar instead of the mechanical ones.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Don Howard

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 11:40:41 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 12:47 PM\']Which was too bad, because (IMO), it was the only decent thing on an otherwise underwhelming set. To me, the NBC set is far superior.
[snapback]109474[/snapback]
[/quote]
Everything about the NBC version was superior. Everything!!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 09:06:31 AM »
I always thought the set on the CBS version was cozier.  Oh well...that's just me!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Neumms

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 10:40:20 PM »
NBC's was way cooler, one of the coolest anywhere, especially for NBC. One more plus, it had the lecturn motor out for Money Cards, rather than the contestant just standing on a piece of tape. Much nicer.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 10:41:14 PM by Neumms »

Card Shark

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 10:47:16 PM »
[quote name=\'William_S.\' date=\'Feb 5 2006, 11:57 PM\']'Twas, If it were me, I'd choose the Face card Motif to the Bland Red aces set.
[snapback]109536[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, in watching the early '86 episodes on GSN with a Bob Eubanks that was less of an a$$, I wondered why any set decorator or artist thought that all those red aces would be jazzy.
Adam Strom

zachhoran

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 08:43:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Feb 7 2006, 10:47 PM\']

Yes, in watching the early '86 episodes on GSN with a Bob Eubanks that was less of an a$$.

[snapback]109695[/snapback]
[/quote]

I wonder if the format tweaks Eubanks's CS went through in its run caused Eubanks's change in attitudes. Eubanks went on record as having not liked the format changes of Newlywed Game around that time.