Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Academy Award 8-Hour Marathon 3/5  (Read 10025 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Academy Award 8-Hour Marathon 3/5
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2006, 01:21:25 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Feb 14 2006, 11:19 AM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Feb 14 2006, 11:16 AM\']Has Jon Stewart been on one?  (He'll be doing this year's Oscarcast.)
[snapback]110128[/snapback]
[/quote]
First Celebrity Millionaire.
[snapback]110131[/snapback]
[/quote]
Grazi.  I forgot all about that (as if that wasn't obvious).  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 02:17:21 PM »
Count me among those that thought TT was better, though (once they went to the all-quickie format).

I know that there are a few of us here who actually prefer the first format of "Tattletales" to the "all-quickie" format.  For me it just adds a bit more variety - even if the game was sometimes out of reach by the last question.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

SRIV94

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2006, 02:24:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Feb 14 2006, 01:17 PM\']I know that there are a few of us here who actually prefer the first format of "Tattletales" to the "all-quickie" format.  For me it just adds a bit more variety - even if the game was sometimes out of reach by the last question.
[snapback]110142[/snapback]
[/quote]
I know.  I just found the "one or two-word phrase" format to be akin to watching paint dry.  YMMV, that's why there's vanilla and that's why there's chocolate.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the first format, if the wrong person buzzed in after hearing the phrase, they could justify it all they want but still got nothing, yes?

Doug
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

WhammyPower

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2006, 03:06:44 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Feb 14 2006, 11:19 AM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Feb 14 2006, 11:16 AM\']Has Jon Stewart been on one?
[snapback]110128[/snapback]
[/quote]
First Celebrity Millionaire.
[snapback]110131[/snapback]
[/quote]
And an ep. of Win Ben Stein's Money, as well.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 03:49:49 PM »
Mr. Stewart did very well on Celebrity Jeopardy!, too.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Ian Wallis

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2006, 04:04:29 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the first format, if the wrong person buzzed in after hearing the phrase, they could justify it all they want but still got nothing, yes?

That's correct.  The only person that could score would be the one who's spouse buzzed in.  Most of the time that occured, but there were some instances where the wrong person buzzed...and usually the audience's reaction let them know they were the wrong person.  

There were also a couple of times where the right person buzzed - but gave the wrong story.  Those scored nothing as well.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2006, 04:46:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Feb 14 2006, 03:17 PM\']I know that there are a few of us here who actually prefer the first format of "Tattletales" to the "all-quickie" format.  [/quote]
Yes, but you'd be wrong. :)
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SRIV94

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2006, 04:47:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Feb 14 2006, 03:04 PM\']That's correct.  The only person that could score would be the one who's spouse buzzed in.  Most of the time that occured, but there were some instances where the wrong person buzzed...and usually the audience's reaction let them know they were the wrong person. 

There were also a couple of times where the right person buzzed - but gave the wrong story.  Those scored nothing as well.
[snapback]110148[/snapback]
[/quote]
I thought I had seen that, but I wasn't sure.  It just confirms further in my mind that having the wrong person buzz in and tell a story to try to justify it would be nothing more than a time-waster (I could live with the right person buzzing in but telling the wrong story).  And perhaps producers sensed that, leading towards the all-quickie format.

Doug
Doug

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 04:59:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 14 2006, 01:46 PM\']Yes, but you'd be wrong. :)
[snapback]110154[/snapback]
[/quote]
I will assume my royalty check is in the mail. :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 05:00:19 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jay Temple

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2006, 01:31:28 AM »
I've held onto my tape of this if anyone's interested in a trade.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2006, 01:34:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 14 2006, 02:46 PM\'][quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Feb 14 2006, 03:17 PM\']I know that there are a few of us here who actually prefer the first format of "Tattletales" to the "all-quickie" format.  [/quote]
Yes, but you'd be wrong. :)
[snapback]110154[/snapback]
[/quote]
Count me among the Wrong And Proud, then. Tattletales with the "pot div right answers" scoring system was little more than Celebrity Newlywed Game. They already ran TNG how many times a day? It was nice to see what I thought was a clever game mechanic used, wasted stories or not.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2006, 08:39:04 AM »
Seconded on this end...the first format was a nice deviation from what otherwise was indeed "Celebrity Newlywed Game".

I'm surprised Barris didn't sue--I seem to recall reading they prevented Perfect Match from having a second season.
--Mark
Phil 4:13