Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Temptation: The New Sale of the Century board game  (Read 8633 times)

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

ChuckNet

Temptation: The New Sale of the Century board game
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 12:44:57 AM »
I think us American game collectors will be keeping an eye on eBay in the coming wks... :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Eager-To-Get-A-Copy "Chuckie Baby")

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 12:57:57 AM »
That is awesome. And I continue to hold my breath for a US revival of this show (not counting the possibility of the Game Show Marathon).
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 01:46:11 AM »
It would surprise me if they did. Grundy is making a heapload of cash with their Australian shows. They really don't have a reason to come back, despite the fact that their American shows were successful. I think the only way they would even consider coming back to America is if the Australian GS market had a drought like ours in the 90s.

The game does make some nice changes, but it still suffers from endless-itis, putting a new coat of paint on a previously released game. As much as I like Crown & Andrews, It still baffles me why neither of the two speed rounds was implemented in the game. I think that Temptation/$otC would be better game if it was made like the Jeopardy! Remote system from a couple years ago, with a host's unit and 3 wireless buzzers.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 02:24:22 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' date=\'Feb 14 2006, 10:46 PM\']I think that Temptation/$otC would be better game if it was made like the Jeopardy! Remote system from a couple years ago, with a host's unit and 3 wireless buzzers.
[snapback]110196[/snapback]
[/quote]
I would never trust infrared buzzers. How often do you have to point a remote and push the button a second time 'cuz the first push didn't take?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 03:45:05 AM »
Seeing the Aussie version of $ofC makes my old version pale in comparison from the box art to the gameboard design & color scheme itself.  So what if there's no Speed Round, it still looks like an intresting game to check out even if I have to fly to Austraillia to actually see it up close.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 04:51:56 AM »
For me, never, and I've had mine since it came out.

I'm mainly talking about the unit itself, rather than the buzzers. It holds all the questions, keeps score, and could run a speed round without having to worry about passing out play money and re-flipping sand timers in between questions.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 05:21:55 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 15 2006, 12:24 AM\'][quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' date=\'Feb 14 2006, 10:46 PM\']I think that Temptation/$otC would be better game if it was made like the Jeopardy! Remote system from a couple years ago, with a host's unit and 3 wireless buzzers.
[snapback]110196[/snapback]
[/quote]
I would never trust infrared buzzers. How often do you have to point a remote and push the button a second time 'cuz the first push didn't take?
[snapback]110201[/snapback]
[/quote]

[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' date=\'Feb 15 2006, 02:51 AM\']For me, never, and I've had mine since it came out.

I'm mainly talking about the unit itself, rather than the buzzers. It holds all the questions, keeps score, and could run a speed round without having to worry about passing out play money and re-flipping sand timers in between questions.
[snapback]110206[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure he wasn't referring to the Jeopardy Remote game.

As for keeping everything in one host's unit, I personally think that would take a lot of the fun out of the game.  A big part of collecting game show board games, at least for me, is the visceral thrill of the various components, in using them to play the game, and in a lot of cases, just how well they're made.

And in case, you're not paying attention, which it seems to me you're not, the Crown-and-Andrews-produced Sale games have never contained play money.  They rely on the game board to keep in-round score, and on the cards to track the player's loot totals.  Quite practical, and rather elegant if I do say so myself...one of the reason I keep using them at the Game Show Congress.
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 09:45:20 AM »
Point well taken.  I guess I should be happy considering they DID release the game. I'll count my blessings and shut up now.

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 12:06:12 PM »
For the record, the other kind of football in Australia is Australian-rules football, that free-for-all that was a staple of the early ESPN and is now seen every-so-often on Fox Soccer Channel.

I'm surprised that "Neighbours" isn't one of the Fame Game cards, considering how much money Nine and Grundy/Fremantle have made off that show over the years.

And if FremantleMedia North America thinks that the time is right to revive "Sale" in the U.S. with the new "Temptation" format, they'll do it--and Grundy will acquiesce.

remlap

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 12:26:32 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 15 2006, 06:06 PM\']I'm surprised that "Neighbours" isn't one of the Fame Game cards, considering how much money Nine and Grundy/Fremantle have made off that show over the years.
[snapback]110220[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ten airs Neighbours.

Seven airs Home and Away.

uncamark

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 12:36:52 PM »
[quote name=\'remlap\' date=\'Feb 15 2006, 11:26 AM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 15 2006, 06:06 PM\']I'm surprised that "Neighbours" isn't one of the Fame Game cards, considering how much money Nine and Grundy/Fremantle have made off that show over the years.
[snapback]110220[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ten airs Neighbours.

Seven airs Home and Away.
[snapback]110222[/snapback]
[/quote]

And so it is.  Don't know why I had it in my mind that it was Nine that picked the show up from Seven after that network made what would be the most colossal mistake in Australian television history if it wasn't for the fact that "Home and Away" turned out to be successful.

ObGameShow:  Our Australian friends would know which "Neighbours" cast members have appeared as panelists on Australian game shows or on celeb "Millionaire" over there.

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 01:45:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Feb 15 2006, 12:45 AM\']So what if there's no Speed Round, it still looks like an intresting game to check out even if I have to fly to Austraillia to actually see it up close.
[snapback]110205[/snapback]
[/quote]
You ought to do that. I suggest booking a round trip on Oceanic Airlines. Fly to Sydney out of Los Angeles. I believe it's Flight 815.

Check out their website!

http://www.oceanic-air.com
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 01:51:02 PM by clemon79 »

remlap

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 02:16:06 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 15 2006, 06:36 PM\']And so it is.  Don't know why I had it in my mind that it was Nine that picked the show up from Seven after that network made what would be the most colossal mistake in Australian television history if it wasn't for the fact that "Home and Away" turned out to be successful.
[snapback]110224[/snapback]
[/quote]

Id say worldwide than Australian, more people watch Neighbours here than Australias population total which is something to say.

Home and Away caused a bidding war between ITV and Channel 5 for awhile.

clemon79

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 03:32:25 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'Feb 15 2006, 12:17 PM\']Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...
[snapback]110233[/snapback]
[/quote]
He was referring to my comment, which he quoted correctly. You may feel like an idiot at the tone.

/beeeeeep