Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show on Docket for New Fox Network  (Read 7042 times)

uncamark

Game Show on Docket for New Fox Network
« on: February 22, 2006, 12:53:19 PM »
As expected, Fox has announced that it is starting a network primarily for its owned stations that are losing their UPN affiliations in September with the WB/UPN merger and the launch of The CW.  My Network TV is expected to do two hours Monday through Saturday of "network-quality television" from 8 to 10 p.m. ET beginning Sept. 5.  The full press release:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060222/20060222005710.html?.v=1

The initial programming lineup will be the novela-inspired soaps "Desire" and "Secrets" ("Desire" was already scheduled for syndication), but this was listed for development:

"America's Brainiest" (working title) (Celador ("Who Wants to Be A Millionaire")) -- This quiz show, based on the hit British program, will find the country's smartest individuals and reveal them in an exciting format.

--------------------

In addition, the press release stated:

In addition, Twentieth Television is in advanced negotiations with FremantleMedia North America ("American Idol") on an international format.

-------------------------

The question is--game, comp or reality (or maybe even a scripted format)?  We shall see.

Unfortunately, ukgameshows.com don't have a fully-loaded page on the original British version of "Brainiest," so there's no format description there to link.  The series was hosted by Carol "Countdown" Vorderman, with a one-shot special hosted by Tess Daly, who's the Samantha Harris of "Strictly Come Dancing" ("Dancing With the Stars") over there.  Don't know if they'll continue with a woman for the U.S. version--I'm afraid it just might be Jillian Barberie.

Brig Bother

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 01:30:15 PM »
Done. How's that for service?

Tess Daly wasn't really one-shot, she hosted the daily heats whilst Vorderman hosted the primetime finals.

DrBear

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 04:23:33 PM »
Actually, I'd prefer to see a U.S. version of 15 to 1, but this will do.

Of course, given the state of America  and Fox today, our "brainiest" could end up being a Paris Hilton-Jessica Simpson final.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 10:04:47 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 04:23 PM\']Actually, I'd prefer to see a U.S. version of 15 to 1, but this will do.

Of course, given the state of America  and Fox today, our "brainiest" could end up being a Paris Hilton-Jessica Simpson final.
[snapback]110887[/snapback]
[/quote]

Shhhhh!  Don't give them any ideas! :-)
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

FeudDude

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 10:11:43 PM »
My Network TV?  And people thought that The CW was a stupid name...

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 12:54:40 AM »
So does this mean that everybody who doesn't live in one of those ten choice markets misses out on all these new series?  Or will they offer them on a secondary basis to the lesser markets where they'd air in oddball hours on a CW, Fox or A/C/N station?
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 03:30:40 AM »
Hmm.  America's Brainiest sure sounds like an extension of a Fox show hosted by Dick Clark called "America's Smartest Kids" or something like that.  The thing I most remember about that show is where Dick says "The game is on the line!" followed by a very nellowdramatic stinger towards the end of a match.

DrBear

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 06:31:46 AM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 11:54 PM\']So does this mean that everybody who doesn't live in one of those ten choice markets misses out on all these new series?  Or will they offer them on a secondary basis to the lesser markets where they'd air in oddball hours on a CW, Fox or A/C/N station?
[snapback]110956[/snapback]
[/quote]
Fox has said it's going to try to sell the programs to markets - and there are lots of them - where there were separate WB and UPN stations, and one of them will lose an affiliation.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 12:35:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Feb 23 2006, 03:30 AM\']Hmm.  America's Brainiest sure sounds like an extension of a Fox show hosted by Dick Clark called "America's Smartest Kids" or something like that. 
[snapback]110958[/snapback]
[/quote]
But it isn't.

I would love to meet you in person.  You couldn't possibly interact with people in this fashion day in and day out.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 12:35:26 PM by Brandon Brooks »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 01:01:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Feb 23 2006, 04:30 AM\']Hmm.  America's Brainiest sure sounds like an extension of a Fox show hosted by Dick Clark called "America's Smartest Kids" or something like that.  The thing I most remember about that show is where Dick says "The game is on the line!" followed by a very nellowdramatic stinger towards the end of a match.
[snapback]110958[/snapback]
[/quote]

Personally, I think we should throwCraig, Henke, Witch, Passepartout, Chumley, and cool245 in a cage, throw away the key, and make them fight to the death.

BTW, Karlberg, learn to spell. It's "melodramatic."
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

FeudDude

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 01:56:44 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Feb 23 2006, 01:01 PM\']Personally, I think we should throwCraig, Henke, Witch, Passepartout, Chumley, and cool245 in a cage, throw away the key, and make them fight to the death.
[snapback]110988[/snapback]
[/quote]

Don't forget irismason and musicman.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 01:57:14 PM by FeudDude »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 04:24:17 PM »
[quote name=\'FeudDude\' date=\'Feb 23 2006, 10:56 AM\'][quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Feb 23 2006, 01:01 PM\']Personally, I think we should throwCraig, Henke, Witch, Passepartout, Chumley, and cool245 in a cage, throw away the key, and make them fight to the death.
[snapback]110988[/snapback]
[/quote]

Don't forget irismason and musicman.
[snapback]110990[/snapback]
[/quote]
If you're going to stay on topic, fine. If you're going to rag on other members, I'm locking the thread and we'll next hear from you after the vernal equinox.

sshuffield70

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 04:37:33 PM »
Here, MyNetworkTV will be on KDFI 27 (ObGS - they originally signed on with "Make Me Laugh" and "Joker's Wild" in 1981 as KTWS).  I'm wondering if MyNetworkTV was or will be modeled after something here (and possibly other markets).  

This season, KDFI is allowing average Joes and Janes to appear in promos and even introduce some of their favorite shows.  Just a thought.

uncamark

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 04:40:44 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Feb 23 2006, 03:37 PM\']Here, MyNetworkTV will be on KDFI 27 (ObGS - they originally signed on with "Make Me Laugh" and "Joker's Wild" in 1981 as KTWS).  I'm wondering if MyNetworkTV was or will be modeled after something here (and possibly other markets). 

This season, KDFI is allowing average Joes and Janes to appear in promos and even introduce some of their favorite shows.  Just a thought.
[snapback]111015[/snapback]
[/quote]

That--and that myspace.com web site acquired last year by Rupert that's all the rage with the kids today, I suspect.  One division of News Corp. helping the other.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 05:58:01 PM »
I suppose someone who knows more about the world of television could correct my reasoning, but I find it amusing that UPN and the WB are combining due to paltry market shares, and many of the stations left out in the cold . . . are consolidating into another netlet.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin