Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A burning question...  (Read 3585 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
A burning question...
« on: February 23, 2006, 02:22:30 PM »
In a trade a few weeks ago, I received a promo for the nighttime Celebrity Sweepstakes. About 30 seconds long. I'm sure you guys are familiar with the final round (All or Nothing). Here's my question:

Above each contestant's name placard, there was another smaller square one with a horseshoe on it. Does anyone know why these were there? Were they just for decoration/effect (like the X markers on FF) or was there some other short-lived feature in the gameplay?

Very curious. Answers, anyone?
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Bob Zager

A burning question...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 04:22:23 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' date=\'Feb 23 2006, 02:22 PM\']In a trade a few weeks ago, I received a promo for the nighttime Celebrity Sweepstakes. About 30 seconds long. I'm sure you guys are familiar with the final round (All or Nothing). Here's my question:

Above each contestant's name placard, there was another smaller square one with a horseshoe on it. Does anyone know why these were there? Were they just for decoration/effect (like the X markers on FF) or was there some other short-lived feature in the gameplay?

Very curious. Answers, anyone?
[snapback]110996[/snapback]
[/quote]

Those cards, with the horseshoe on the one side, were used on a selected question during regular game play for what they called the "Exacta Question."

Before a contestant wagered and selected the star he/she felt had the correct answer, both contestants would predict how many of the six stars would know the right answer.  After play of that question, the contestants turned the cards around, showing their prediction.  If either (or both) contestant(s) was right, he/she/they would receive a nice prize package (IIRC, usually a vacation).

It was briefly used as a home viewer contest feature on the NBC daytime show, and throughout the second season of the syndicated nighttime show.