Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hollywood Squares (Marshall)  (Read 4607 times)

golden-road

Hollywood Squares (Marshall)
« on: February 24, 2006, 04:47:30 PM »
A few years ago on what is now gameshow-galaxy.net, I saw some pic of what looked like Peter Marshall & players in front of a dark background, with Marshall in a tux. Now knowing those were the "Party" episodes, why were they done, and were there any other changes as far as rules and such?

Also, what was in the prize package given to daytime five-match champions?

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 07:10:51 PM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' date=\'Feb 24 2006, 04:47 PM\']
Also, what was in the prize package given to daytime five-match champions?
[snapback]111144[/snapback]
[/quote]

For the first decade or so of the daytime run, the prize package consisted of just a car for undefeated champs. They later changed the prize package to include a car, $5000 cash, and some other prizes.

ChuckNet

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 01:33:57 AM »
A few years ago on what is now gameshow-galaxy.net, I saw some pic of what looked like Peter Marshall & players in front of a dark background, with Marshall in a tux. Now knowing those were the "Party" episodes, why were they done, and were there any other changes as far as rules and such?

No rule changes, AFAIK...and to the best of my knowledge, it was just a gimmick done for sweeps...the only thing different was the intro, in which the stars walked onto the set after being intro'd by and chatting w/Peter, a la the Oscars pre-show.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

narzo

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 01:46:52 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Feb 25 2006, 01:33 AM\']

No rule changes, AFAIK...and to the best of my knowledge, it was just a gimmick done for sweeps...the only thing different was the intro, in which the stars walked onto the set after being intro'd by and chatting w/Peter, a la the Oscars pre-show.

[snapback]111205[/snapback]
[/quote]

exactly, anyone still got this clip?

uncamark

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 04:44:37 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Feb 25 2006, 12:33 AM\']

[snapback]111205[/snapback]
[/quote]

Seemed to me that the "party" episodes were a grown-up version of "Storybook Squares," with the panel dressed up as various characters and with the special sound effects and other gags whenever they were called on--not to mention the jokes that they couldn't really use on "Storybook Squares" shows.  They seemed to happen in the 1977-78 season.

Also, those shows ended with everyone disco dancing over the credits--to some obscure song that Marshall identified before signing off, but I don't think I ever heard outside of those shows (because I would've remembered it).  Something that Heatter got the rights to real cheap, no doubt.

ChuckNet

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 08:21:46 PM »
Seemed to me that the "party" episodes were a grown-up version of "Storybook Squares," with the panel dressed up as various characters and with the special sound effects and other gags whenever they were called on--not to mention the jokes that they couldn't really use on "Storybook Squares" shows. They seemed to happen in the 1977-78 season.

Indeed...for example, whenever Victor French (as his Carter Country character, Chief Moby) was called on, a police siren would sound.

Also, those shows ended with everyone disco dancing over the credits--to some obscure song that Marshall identified before signing off, but I don't think I ever heard outside of those shows (because I would've remembered it). Something that Heatter got the rights to real cheap, no doubt.

Most likely...I have those eps on tape and can't remember the name of that song, either...LOL...one other minor note is that for both these eps, the credits crawled (MG '7X style), as opposed to scrolling from bottom-to-top like normal.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 09:09:28 AM »
They seemed to happen in the 1977-78 season.

The two episodes most of us have were taped April 17, 1978 - right in the heart of the disco era.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 11:44:38 PM »
One weird thing about the party episodes, didn't they get rid of the tacky buzzer and use the horn that was later used on the Davidson version? I guess they thought the buzzer was too tacky for the party episodes.

Thanks for mentioning my site by the way :) For those wondering, it's not dead, just right now I do not have a good video capture device. After I go to Las Vegas next week I will be buying a brand new Dazzle (I lost the installation disk to my old one and I have a new computer).

David