Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC reveals Monday DoND action  (Read 7861 times)

NickS

NBC reveals Monday DoND action
« on: February 25, 2006, 08:56:46 AM »
It's true -- NBC sent on their Sunday feed an EPK for the show; as usual, part of it was game play.  Enough was sent to completely spoil most of the gameplay for Monday's ep.

The only changes to the game that I heard/saw was that the audience is now shouting like crazy all of the time -- from which briefcase to pick to deal, etc.  It's gone from quiet as the UK to TPiR levels in 0 to 60.

Also -- the graphics have changed on the tote; they've scaled down the dollar amounts so when there's a reveal, there's a scale forward and a y-axis rotation.  You'll see.

I will say from what I saw that Monday's game is *very* watchable, IMO, EVEN with Trump appearing.

Oh -- and to add -- kudos to Howie; as long as they don't ADR/edit the shit out of the show, Howie sounded *much* more comfortable... saying "keep it low," "keep it to the left side of the board," etc.  My only wish was that he'd be more conversational with The Banker (who is now using a PowerBook -- nice product placement, Apple).  However, I'm optimistic.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 08:59:36 AM by TeppanYaki »

itiparanoid13

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 09:20:25 AM »
I interviewed Scott St. John (Executive Producer of DoND) last Friday, it'll be up on Monday.  I know he said that the Banker will be getting more of a personality on later shows.  Whether that rings true, or what his definition of "personality" is, we'll see.

Don Howard

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 10:31:24 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Feb 25 2006, 09:20 AM\']he said that the Banker will be getting more of a personality on later shows.  Whether that rings true, or what his definition of "personality" is, we'll see.
[snapback]111213[/snapback]
[/quote]
It'll be the voice of John Forsythe. At the top of the show, he'll greet the suitcase presenters by saying, "Good evening, Angels".

Ian Wallis

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 04:57:38 PM »
Enough was sent to completely spoil most of the gameplay for Monday's ep.

The on-air promos I've seen during Olympic coverage kind of give something away for the whole week, although they don't give away results for individual contestants.  I'm kind of surprised that they did that...I guess they're really trying to promote the "more money" aspect of the new run.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

NickS

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 07:48:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Feb 26 2006, 04:57 PM\']
Enough was sent to completely spoil most of the gameplay for Monday's ep.

The on-air promos I've seen during Olympic coverage kind of give something away for the whole week, although they don't give away results for individual contestants.  I'm kind of surprised that they did that...I guess they're really trying to promote the "more money" aspect of the new run.
[snapback]111342[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm not; NBC was notorious in how they promoed twenty/one.  We'll see how they go with this.

GSmaniac

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 09:47:37 AM »
What do you mean "notorious"? I don't remember the ads

GSmaniac

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 10:17:04 AM »
[quote name=\'GSmaniac\' date=\'Feb 27 2006, 09:47 AM\']What do you mean "notorious"? I don't remember the ads

GSmaniac
[snapback]111409[/snapback]
[/quote]

They gave away a result or one or two of the show's(and at the time, the game show genre's) all-time money winners, Rahim Oberholtzer and Dave Legler IIRC.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 10:31:26 AM »
If you had seen the ads for "Next time...on Twenty-one!" you would see a huge torrent of balloons and confetti, and a man conspicuously in uniform outside the booths. Having watched the show before, it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that he was going to win $1 million.
Travis L. Eberle

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 10:03:55 PM »
NOTE: Trust me west coasters, the show was "watchable!!!"  The editing staff learned their lesson and I don't think I've heard at least one obvious ADR/voice-over.  

Because of that, IMO, I see that the game play or storyline flowed a little more smoothly and Howie has more of a personality.

So go watch/videotape/TiVo and enjoy.  You'll like tonight's show.  :)
-Sanford

DrJWJustice

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 10:27:28 PM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' date=\'Feb 27 2006, 10:03 PM\']NOTE: Trust me west coasters, the show was "watchable!!!"  The editing staff learned their lesson and I don't think I've heard at least one obvious ADR/voice-over. 

Because of that, IMO, I see that the game play or storyline flowed a little more smoothly and Howie has more of a personality.

So go watch/videotape/TiVo and enjoy.  You'll like tonight's show.  :)
[snapback]111495[/snapback]
[/quote]
I have to agree.  Tonight's show had far better production values, a much faster pace that suits the show better in the opening rounds, and Howie was clearly more at ease with his role.  Adding Donald Trump was both a shameless plug and a brilliant manoever, IMO.  

This is show is quickly becoming one of the dumbest game ideas ever to succeed brilliantly, to echo something along the lines of what Gene Rayburn once famously said about "Match Game".

Gromit

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 02:37:21 AM »
I'd still like even faster pacing. 50 minutes on one contestant is too much when it's *obvious* they're going to continue for the first six or seven times.

GSmaniac

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 10:03:44 AM »
Last night's show was good. I agree, better production value and Howie seemed more at ease. I really liked the first contestant because for the first time there seemed to be conflict between the contestant and his family helpers which is probably why NBC came up with the idea to put them there. I really hope the show does well this week.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 01:41:29 PM »
I must have missed something regarding the home player game.  Last time, we had to pick from the remaining case numbers to try and win 10 grand.  Now they've changed it so that there are six *other* cases numbered 1 though 6 not used by the studio player and we have to determine which of these has $10,000.

I was confused sitting here--after the form page taking a bit of time to become active, I saw that the pull-down menu had numbers 1 through 6 and I kept wondering what happed to 7 through 26???
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 02:16:26 PM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Feb 28 2006, 10:41 AM\']I must have missed something regarding the home player game.  Last time, we had to pick from the remaining case numbers to try and win 10 grand.  Now they've changed it so that there are six *other* cases numbered 1 though 6 not used by the studio player and we have to determine which of these has $10,000.
[/quote]
Yeah, I did a double-take too, since they did a home-player plug going to the break after the segment in which the $10,000 had been revealed. I was like "Um, DUH!"

Thing is, they have to do it in a way that isn't dependent on gameplay, or else the West Coast has an advantage, and as we know, NBC would never be able to live with themselves if they did that. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 02:34:01 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 28 2006, 01:16 PM\'][quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Feb 28 2006, 10:41 AM\']I must have missed something regarding the home player game.  Last time, we had to pick from the remaining case numbers to try and win 10 grand.  Now they've changed it so that there are six *other* cases numbered 1 though 6 not used by the studio player and we have to determine which of these has $10,000.
[/quote]
Yeah, I did a double-take too, since they did a home-player plug going to the break after the segment in which the $10,000 had been revealed. I was like "Um, DUH!"

Thing is, they have to do it in a way that isn't dependent on gameplay, or else the West Coast has an advantage, and as we know, NBC would never be able to live with themselves if they did that. :)
[snapback]111560[/snapback]
[/quote]

Seemed to me that in December, they did three different Lucky Case drawings--one for the Eastern/Central time zones, one for Mountain and one for Pacific--so that everyone had an equal shot.