Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A glimpse at the disastrous first night  (Read 2978 times)

Adam Nedeff

A glimpse at the disastrous first night
« on: March 06, 2006, 07:31:27 PM »
$25 is a bit rich for me, but if anybody else is interested, a photo collector on Ebay is selling a shot from the 1952 premiere of "I've Got a Secret." This may be your only chance to see the set that was burned down before night #2.

Rare Original Garry Moore I've Got a Secret photo

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 09:26:56 PM »
Actually, there's a very brief clip from the 1st show in the IGAS 6th anniversary special.  As far as I know, it's the only footage known to exist.

And given everyone's garb and casual attitude, I'd say the pic in question is actually from a rehearsal or run-through, rather than the actual show...

-Kevin

Pyramid80

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 06:23:42 PM »
Can anyone share information on the "set burned" comment.  Was there an actual fire?

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 06:26:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Mar 8 2006, 06:23 PM\']Can anyone share information on the "set burned" comment.  Was there an actual fire?
[snapback]112258[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, on purpose. Considering the set was pretty much unanimously disliked, doing so was presumably cheaper than putting it in storage for eternity.

uncamark

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 03:43:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Mar 8 2006, 05:26 PM\'][quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Mar 8 2006, 06:23 PM\']Can anyone share information on the "set burned" comment.  Was there an actual fire?
[snapback]112258[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, on purpose. Considering the set was pretty much unanimously disliked, doing so was presumably cheaper than putting it in storage for eternity.
[snapback]112259[/snapback]
[/quote]

However, that ugly backdrop in the photo with all of those ridiculous-looking question marks did stay center stage until the Winston years and the change in logo to the straight-forward Times Roman-ish font.  They just replaced the courtroom trappings with two long desks, like any good panel show.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 07:25:22 PM »
I think the rejected set looks suprisingly contemporary.  Who is doing the cross-examination?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 08:32:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 10 2006, 08:25 PM\']I think the rejected set looks suprisingly contemporary.  Who is doing the cross-examination?[/quote]
That's Melville Cooper (or, if you prefer, Melville Cooper), another G-T Broadway type who stayed with the show for the first four months.  (His spot eventually went to Henry Morgan.)  Thing is, the young fellow on the witness stand could easily be a young, bespectacled Orson Bean, who was also featured in the first episode.  The picture could have been staged to feature three "regulars" and not show contestants.

That's almost worth buying because of its historical significance and personally, because it almost relates to Bill Cullen (who joined up in episode three).  Still $25 is a bit stiff for one photo.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 08:32:55 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.