Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Home Games That Wouldn't Work  (Read 7638 times)

trainman

Game Show Home Games That Wouldn't Work
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2006, 11:59:10 PM »
Pitfall:  more of an office building game than a home game, since you need a bunch of elevators.
trainman is a man of trains

Don Howard

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2006, 12:22:33 AM »
I made a Lingo with Michael and Lusty Dusty version for me and my buds to play many years ago. And just like that version of the show, I didn't pay off the winners.

ChuckNet

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2006, 01:31:57 AM »
New for Christmas 2006, The Money Maze! Only requirement, a big back yard or an English Estate! You can even build the maze in your swimming pool!

Curt Alliaume pointed out the prob w/that on his MM page: "No Crow's Nest". :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Ian Wallis

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2006, 04:43:13 PM »
Should I bring up at this point that there really *was* a "Big Brother" box game released in the U.S. after the first series in 1999?

There is also a "Survivor" box game, which I played once with three family members.  We didn't think much of it...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Winkfan

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2006, 06:03:18 PM »
Want to do a home version of Gambit? Get a regular deck of playing cards and a trivia book, and you're in like Heatter!

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'K.C. Winkler of the Big Board!'
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

WhammyPower

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2006, 06:34:16 PM »
Three words: "The Crystal Maze."

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2006, 06:40:55 AM »
Storm the Castle.  Unless you have a drawbridge leading to your front door.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 04:42:36 PM »
Celebrity Sweepstakes.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

calliaume

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2006, 11:15:36 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'116680\' date=\'Apr 20 2006, 03:42 PM\']
Celebrity Sweepstakes.
[/quote]
Why not?  It would be as dull as the MG '7X and Hollywood Squares home games, but it could be done.

Allstar87

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2006, 12:12:00 AM »
Masters Of The Maze might be pretty hard, too. (So pretty much any show with the word "Maze" in it's title...)

Legends of The Hidden Temple wouldn't work too well either. Unless you have twelve friends, a pool, and a really big house.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2006, 01:09:28 AM »
I was almost going to say Supermarket Sweep...until I remembered MB did a box version of it.  So instead, here's one game that could NEVER fit into a box....

Treasure Isle.

And even if you could put it into a box...how would you make it work?
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2006, 01:33:14 AM »
Brains and Brawn, Way Out Games, Blackout,  and Hit Man would be tough shows to make into home games.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 01:36:07 AM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2006, 01:42:44 AM »
On the same lines as Money Maze, I'm not sure how well a Big Showdown game would work. Sure, the trivia part would work pretty well, but the bonus would be really hard I would think. But then again, I guess there's been other games that have had timed bonus games, so maybe it would. But the payoff point would be hard to keep track of I'd think.

David

zachhoran

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2006, 08:03:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'116727\' date=\'Apr 21 2006, 01:33 AM\']
Brains and Brawn, Way Out Games, Blackout,  and Hit Man would be tough shows to make into home games.

--Jamie
[/quote]

Hit Man probably could be done. Have the host read some information about a subject, have some markers representing the contestants "hit men". Have some strips of paper with room from one to five markers, use the same two subjects as in the front game, turn the player's back to the board, and you have the bonus round. Get one player to sit out the first round and bring them in to replace the player who doesn't survive round one.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2006, 10:09:42 AM »
I sent Jay Wolpert copies of a Hit Man and a Whew home game, and he was very complementary about them. He said Milton Bradley backed out of a Whew home game because it would have been too expensive. I made it with existing Milton Bradley parts. The Hit Man characters were on magnetic dots which looked great on the Triple Crown bonus. Include a cassette (today a CD) of Peter or someone telling the stories, and you're off and running. Please forgive this, as I'm not saying this as boasting..it's just that when this thread first appeared, I was curious as to how many versions of tv games I had put together over the years that had some workability, and I found about 50. Some had versions put out later, and some of mine were variations on the main theme, but there are not too many that can't be made in some way or another..it's just how much of of the game can you duplicate exactly and can you generate a good amount of the show's excitement? And is it a solid enough game that people would still have an interest in playing it after the show is long gone from the air?  A lot of a show's excitement is generated by the host, whoever is leading the audience, the bright music and, on occasion, some celebrities. And, of course...playing for real money! I've probably kept about 10% of them, and there's a couple I'm thinking about re-doing - but I could only see a couple of them having any kind of life past a year on a store shelf.