Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: One vs. 100  (Read 1828 times)

GPeefalt

One vs. 100
« on: March 10, 2006, 02:30:47 PM »
I have been occasionally watching the Talpa show "Een Tegen 100" which is also run by the Postcode Loterij which runs Miljoenenjacht (the Dutch DoND).  I don't speak Dutch, but I like trying to figure out the questions.

The format:
One player sits in a chair facing 100 opponents.  The solo player is given a category and occassionally a video clip and is asked whether if he/she wants an easy or hard question.  The question and 3 choices are then given and the 100 players are given 5 seconds to enter their answer.  The solo player then must answer.  If the solo player is correct, then he/she is given money based on the percentage of opponents who got it wrong (50000 euros  * percentage).  Those opponents are out of the game and the solo player gets to continue vs. the remaining opponents.  If the solo player gets it wrong, his/her game is over, and a new solo player is selected from the remaining opponents.  However, if the solo player has any money, the player can skip a question they don't know, but at the cost of an increasing percentage of their money (25 - 50 - 75%) and receives no money for opponents eliminated by that question.  If the solo player can eliminate all the opponents, the player keeps all of the money he/she has accumulated.

I was wondering if this format would have a chance in the US.

itiparanoid13

One vs. 100
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 02:48:49 PM »
How much a question is worth is 50,000/number of contestants remaining.  Mr. Klauss has an Excel calculator of it somewhere, hopefully he'll chime in.  And yes, this is a very good straight trivia show.  But, in all honesty, it's just a bigger scale Millionaire ripoff.  Answer a multiple choice question.  3 "lifelines".  They even call the seat the "Hot Seat".  However, this doesn't take away from the fact that it's enjoyable and easy to play along with even if you don't understand Dutch.  I personally like Paranoia the best for the all-versus-one format, but oh well.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
One vs. 100
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 03:33:54 PM »
What? No suitcases?

DrBear

One vs. 100
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 03:42:22 PM »
Answering questions is SO 2000.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

BrandonFG

One vs. 100
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 04:09:19 PM »
I like the idea, and even though 100 seems like a lot of folks, that number could honestly get narrowed down quite quickly.

I did a little math, and per this conversion site, 50,000 euro is about $59,000. Honestly, make it so that it's maybe $25,000 x the percentage...and you could still see a decent payday.

With a couple of minor tweaks, I could see it working in the US.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

GPeefalt

One vs. 100
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 06:20:12 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Mar 10 2006, 02:48 PM\']How much a question is worth is 50,000/number of contestants remaining. 
[/quote]
Times the number of opponents who got it wrong.

[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Mar 10 2006, 02:48 PM\']But, in all honesty, it's just a bigger scale Millionaire ripoff.  Answer a multiple choice question.  3 "lifelines".  They even call the seat the "Hot Seat".
[/quote]
WWtBaM lifelines don't cost you any of your money though.

[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Mar 10 2006, 02:48 PM\'] However, this doesn't take away from the fact that it's enjoyable and easy to play along with even if you don't understand Dutch.  I personally like Paranoia the best for the all-versus-one format, but oh well.
[snapback]112404[/snapback]
[/quote]
I didn't like Paranoia for the one reason that a player could get all of their questions right and still get smoked by an equally good home player.  In this game, as long as you keep getting your questions right, you can't lose.

MikeK

• Martha!
One vs. 100
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 06:45:15 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Mar 10 2006, 02:48 PM\']How much a question is worth is 50,000/number of contestants remaining.  Mr. Klauss has an Excel calculator of it somewhere, hopefully he'll chime in.[/quote]
A great segue, Alex.

My Excel Een Tegen 100 calculator is at my teaching/professional site, http://www.mrklauss.com  It's the last item in the section regarding downloads involving mathematics and technology.

BTW, Alex, you're not one of my students.  Calling me "Mike" is perfectly fine.