Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Marathon  (Read 4289 times)

StevensM

Game Show Marathon
« on: March 10, 2006, 10:15:46 PM »
I was looking at "Deal or No Deal" ticket information at the "On Camera Audiences" site, and noticed that they are now offering tickets for "Game Show Marathon", which is scheduled to start taping in less than ten days!

Taping & ticket information is here:
http://www.ocatv.com/schedule.php?show_id=92

wheelloon

Game Show Marathon
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 03:25:23 PM »
Looks like they're hinting that one of the games will be PYL, with that comment under the show summary about yelling out "Whammy!" in the middle of your office. Now don't tell me that nobody here has ever had the urge to do that??? ;)

"I'd like a raise Mr. Stankovich."

"WHAMMY! I'm sorry, you've lost all your money, and your job too..."
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Show Marathon
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 03:38:07 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Mar 12 2006, 12:25 PM\']Now don't tell me that nobody here has ever had the urge to do that??? ;)
[/quote]
Uh, I can say confidently that I never have.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve Gavazzi

Game Show Marathon
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 04:32:09 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Mar 12 2006, 03:25 PM\']Looks like they're hinting that one of the games will be PYL, with that comment under the show summary about yelling out "Whammy!" in the middle of your office. Now don't tell me that nobody here has ever had the urge to do that??? ;)

"I'd like a raise Mr. Stankovich."

"WHAMMY! I'm sorry, you've lost all your money, and your job too..."
[snapback]112555[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, seeing as that wasn't even done on the show itself...no.

wheelloon

Game Show Marathon
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 04:36:54 PM »
Uhmmm, if that were really to be the case, I'd think PYLloon would be a better screen name for me than wheelloon.

I would've thought the tone of my post should've dictated how that comment was supposed to be taken, however... :/

Anyway, obviously, the person who wrote that show summary didn't exactly strain themselves thinking about what to say while making it up. Then again, what should I expect these days...
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

Shredder

Game Show Marathon
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 04:46:23 PM »
They mention 'Celebrity' contestants.  Now, are these going to be B, or D+ Grade Celebrities?    Like the red shirted extra who got killed by a Klingon in Star Trek, or someone like Sara Michelle Gellar(Buffy)?

I was thinking about this when I saw the page.  Maby the reason they don't book the big a Lists is because most of them don't have a personality outside of the movies.  I was watching Harrison Ford on Letterman on my backup of taped shows, and Dave almost had to point a gun to his head to get him to say more than a few words at a time...

Maby the B and lower celebs are more fun to watch than the A listers :)

Matt Ottinger

Game Show Marathon
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 05:10:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Mar 12 2006, 05:46 PM\']They mention 'Celebrity' contestants.  Now, are these going to be B, or D+ Grade Celebrities?    Like the red shirted extra who got killed by a Klingon in Star Trek, or someone like Sara Michelle Gellar(Buffy)[/quote]
I'm guessing somewhere between the two.  

Seriously, it's likely to be very much along the lines of all the other celebrity shows we've been seeing lately, which is to say people you've (mostly) heard of whose careers could use a jump start.  Any of you holding out hopes of hearing, "Tom Hanks, COME ON DOWN!" are just setting yourselves up for disappointment.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

The Pyramids

Game Show Marathon
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 05:14:13 PM »
I'm curious about the phrase 'vintage sets'.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 05:14:30 PM by PaulD »

dad1153

Game Show Marathon
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 05:37:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Mar 12 2006, 05:46 PM\']I was thinking about this when I saw the page.  Maby the reason they don't book the big a Lists is because most of them don't have a personality outside of the movies.  I was watching Harrison Ford on Letterman on my backup of taped shows, and Dave almost had to point a gun to his head to get him to say more than a few words at a time...[/quote]

You obviously haven't seen Harrison on other talk shows (particularly Conan O'Brien's, where the few times he's showed up Ford looks like he's serving the talk show equivalent of jury duty).  As far as 'A' celebrities, what do you think these folks would rather do on their free time?  Enjoy it with friends/family along with the spoils of their fame/fortune (yatching, vacationing in an island, etc.)?  Or locked in a hot studio on a weekend with screaming fans playing years-old gameshows that they themselves probably never watched?  There's no gameshow producer that wouldn't eat his/her youngest child for a chance to have Tom Hanks or George Clooney as guest celebrities on Pyramid or Match Game.  Heck, Tom Cruise has the personality of a wet brick and Angeline Jolie wouldn't agree to appear without a plug for UNICEF, but they'd sure spike viewership if they appeared.  To get these 'A' list guys to devote what few free time they have to a TV project (politics is another question entirely) is the tricky question, not personality.

Jimmy Owen

Game Show Marathon
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 08:09:16 PM »
I think George Clooney might show up, knowing his interest in Chuck Barris and wouldn't it be great to see him hosting "The Money Maze."?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Game Show Marathon
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 08:10:53 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Mar 12 2006, 05:14 PM\']I'm curious about the phrase 'vintage sets'.
[/quote]
Vintage=Classic, nostalgic, etc.
Gather from that what you will.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

Game Show Marathon
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 08:17:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Mar 12 2006, 08:10 PM\'][quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Mar 12 2006, 05:14 PM\']I'm curious about the phrase 'vintage sets'.
[/quote]
Vintage=Classic, nostalgic, etc.
Gather from that what you will.
[snapback]112589[/snapback]
[/quote]
Honestly, the phrase had me a bit curious, too. Not to come across as a fanb0i, but I'd love to see the producers' idea of a "vintage" set. Are we talking a close replica, or just nothing but greenscreen walls? I'd would honestly get a kick out of seeing a recreated MG set with orange shag, and those square hoops, loaded with glitter and tacky stucco. ;-)

Seriously, the phrase caught my eye as well, and I am curious about how they'll do this.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Show Marathon
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 08:32:28 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Mar 12 2006, 05:17 PM\']Seriously, the phrase caught my eye as well, and I am curious about how they'll do this.
[snapback]112590[/snapback]
[/quote]
Based on some things I have heard, I suspect you will all be quite pleased.

Except Mark.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Game Show Marathon
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 11:23:50 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Mar 12 2006, 09:17 PM\']Are we talking a close replica, or just nothing but greenscreen walls? [/quote]
Honestly, think about this.  How hard could it possibly be to recreate sets that were cheesy and reasonably inexpensive in the seventies?  Do you really think they'd rather go to the phenomenal difficulty of creating essentially the same thing in green and superimposing the whole thing onto what would have to be still pictures of the original, empty sets?  Did we learn nothing from Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow?

Chris is right.  Barring unrealistic expectations that a few of you are bound to have, most of you are going to be pleased with this.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 11:28:30 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Robert Hutchinson

Game Show Marathon
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 12:15:19 AM »
Thanks, Matt. Now I've got a mental image of a giant projection of the head of Mark Goodson explaining the final round of the marathon.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin