Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kenny V. Spenny gets second wind...sort of  (Read 2820 times)

FOXSportsFan

Kenny V. Spenny gets second wind...sort of
« on: March 21, 2006, 03:08:24 PM »
Don't know if this is old news or not, but for the 2 fans in Walla Walla, WA who enjoy that epic weekend overnight airing of Kenny vs. Spenny, they'll wet themselves over the fact that BBC America will be airing Ed vs. Spencer, the British version of Kenny v. Spenny during "The Underground" comedy block in the coming weeks...I believe it's either a Thursday or Friday night block...I was too shell shocked to see the Brits even go for something like this.  If you'll excuse me, back to Are You Being Served already in progress...

EDIT: It premieres Thursday at 11p on BBC America.  Give me Monty Python instead...I'd rather see John Cleese as Hitler...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 03:10:27 PM by FOXSportsFan »

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 03:21:17 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Mar 21 2006, 02:08 PM\']Don't know if this is old news or not, but for the 2 fans in Walla Walla, WA who enjoy that epic weekend overnight airing of Kenny vs. Spenny, they'll wet themselves over the fact that BBC America will be airing Ed vs. Spencer, the British version of Kenny v. Spenny during "The Underground" comedy block in the coming weeks...I believe it's either a Thursday or Friday night block...I was too shell shocked to see the Brits even go for something like this.  If you'll excuse me, back to Are You Being Served already in progress...

EDIT: It premieres Thursday at 11p on BBC America.  Give me Monty Python instead...I'd rather see John Cleese as Hitler...
[snapback]113717[/snapback]
[/quote]

Reviewed in EW this week, with the original mentioned (but not the channel airing it in the U.S.).  Got a B+ from Jessica Shaw of "The Shaw Report" (you know, that "In/Five Minutes Ago/Out" list that doesn't give reasons why).  The review:

http://www.ew.com/ew/listing/tv/wtw/0,6115,thu_3__,00.html

Should be available to non-subscribers or non-AOL members.

JayDLewis

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 10:12:12 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Mar 21 2006, 03:08 PM\']Kenny vs. Spenny
[/quote]

Oh behalf of Canada...I humbly apologize for this pathetic excuse of "entertainment."

If it makes you feel better, at least you're not funding it.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 09:07:02 AM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' date=\'Mar 21 2006, 10:12 PM\'][quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Mar 21 2006, 03:08 PM\']Kenny vs. Spenny
[/quote]

Oh behalf of Canada...I humbly apologize for this pathetic excuse of "entertainment."

[snapback]113757[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, why the (BLEEP) did CBC have a hand in it?

Brig Bother

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 09:16:57 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Mar 21 2006, 08:08 PM\']I was too shell shocked to see the Brits even go for something like this.
[/quote]

Dude, whatever impression you have of Brit TV... it's probably wrong.

Besides, nobody atched Ed vs Spencer. It was only ever on a satellite channel to begin with.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 11:05:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Mar 22 2006, 09:16 AM\']Dude, whatever impression you have of Brit TV... it's probably wrong.
[/quote]

BANZAI!
@lambertman

JayDLewis

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 12:45:06 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Mar 22 2006, 09:07 AM\'][quote name=\'JayDLewis\' date=\'Mar 21 2006, 10:12 PM\']
[/quote]
[snapback]113786[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think initially they (the CBC) bought it thinking it was a "kids show." However, here it's touted as a 'Showcase Original.' (where little is bleeped)

Like many shows, they apply for funding from a national program...which is paid for by the feds...which get their money from taxpayers.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 02:36:36 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' date=\'Mar 22 2006, 11:45 AM\'][quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Mar 22 2006, 09:07 AM\'][quote name=\'JayDLewis\' date=\'Mar 21 2006, 10:12 PM\']
[/quote]
[snapback]113786[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think initially they (the CBC) bought it thinking it was a "kids show." However, here it's touted as a 'Showcase Original.' (where little is bleeped)

Like many shows, they apply for funding from a national program...which is paid for by the feds...which get their money from taxpayers.
[snapback]113800[/snapback]
[/quote]

But if the Canadian government and Ontario provincial government can help make possible a "Slings and Arrows," they can be easily forgiven for "Kenny vs. Spenny."

(For the record, "EVS" aired originally on Sky One, which I believe is the top-rated non-terrestrial channel in the UK, even if that ain't sayin' much.)

(ObGameShow:  Sky One not too many years ago was rerunning the U.S. version of "PYL.")

remlap

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 05:11:26 PM »
Sky One not too many years ago was rerunning the U.S. version of "PYL.")
[snapback]113813[/snapback]

Lets start rolling off the top of my head the number of US gameshows airing on SKY One or SKY in the early nighties

PYL, Card Sharks, Jokers Wild, Classic Concetration, 80s The Dating Game, Jeopardy!, The Price is Right (heavily edited).

Also they commisoned an Americanised version of PiR made in the UK and Sale of the Century to.

ChuckNet

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 11:25:44 PM »
Lets start rolling off the top of my head the number of US gameshows airing on SKY One or SKY in the early nighties

PYL, Card Sharks, Jokers Wild, Classic Concetration, 80s The Dating Game, Jeopardy!, The Price is Right (heavily edited).

They also aired Tic Tac Dough and the 80s Split Second, as I recall.

Also they commisoned an Americanised version of PiR made in the UK and Sale of the Century to.

Yep...I have a coupla eps of T(N)PiR, and it's very similar to our version, using the same music and a yellow light border in the opening.

The 80s $otC was also very similar to ours format-wise...and it was hosted by a guy named Peter Marshall (no, not he of HS fame, but a Brit w/the same moniker).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 11:26:05 PM by ChuckNet »

Brig Bother

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 06:38:08 AM »
Sky One used to show Jackpot!, Super Password and The $100,000 Pyramid as part of it's "Panel Pou Pourri" section when it first started in the eighties.

Another satellite channel, Lifestyle, used to show Chuck Henry era Now You See It, as well as The Joker's Wild and Tic Tac Dough.

Lingo was shown over here on cable as well.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 06:41:58 AM by Brig Bother »

remlap

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 02:13:34 PM »
This going to be a quoting night-mare...

[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Mar 24 2006, 05:25 AM\']

Yep...I have a coupla eps of T(N)PiR, and it's very similar to our version, using the same music and a yellow light border in the opening.
[snapback]113991[/snapback]
[/quote]

So do I, I capped the photos for Golden-Road, honestly if ITV had did it with Warman in the daytime im sure it would of lasted alot lot longer, but thats something to never speculate, low-tech range finder~

[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Mar 24 2006, 12:38 PM\']Sky One used to show Jackpot!, Super Password and The $100,000 Pyramid as part of it's "Panel Pou Pourri" section when it first started in the eighties.

[snapback]114016[/snapback]
[/quote]

Now you mention it I do remeber Pyramid on SKY during the late eighties, all the rest must of stoped being shown before Murdie decided to make a satellite network out of his cable channel.

I wish it did have Super Password later on, maybe it did because when I watch GSN mid summer last year, I really liked it and knew the rules yet didnt know how I did!

I to this day miss Classic Concentation I have only one episode, and the quality is dismale.

I remeber getting up for school one day, mother told me to stay home since I was feeling under the weather turned on SKY One at 8:30am this was around 1996 and relised Jeopardy! had not been renewed, I wasnt very happy.

Last Gameshow from the US SKY One aired was Hollywood Squares with Whoopi I guess.