Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Some $ale Opinions  (Read 5120 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Some $ale Opinions
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 11:38:39 PM »
You know what? If I had just cleaned out a show for $140,000, I would not give two tin whistles about what the contestant coordinators thought about my performance. I'm there to play the game, and if I get caught up in it and forget to emote, piss on them. They want to show my six dominating wins as how NOT to play the game, they can go right ahead: I just got paid.

After all, they're the ones that put her on the show, right? If they thought she was that bad, she wouldn't have gotten through the cracks.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 11:43:19 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

GameShowMike

Some $ale Opinions
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2006, 01:04:04 PM »
I have some clips of Sale saved in my Windows Media Player, and here's a rundown of them:

Shopping era:  David Rogers' $109,000 win and Tim Holleran's lot win
Winner's Board:  Sandy's car win, Curtis Warren's and Linda Credit's $50,000 wins

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Some $ale Opinions
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2006, 01:17:25 PM »
I prefer the shopping format--I think there was a greater risk/reward factor with the instant bargains.  That said--I also prefer instant cash--the 3rd IB was usually some overpriced piece of junk.

I have some clips of Sale saved in my Windows Media Player, and here's a rundown of them:
Super!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 01:17:39 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Some $ale Opinions
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2006, 08:55:06 AM »
I hate to resurrect my own dead topic, but I wanted to get my thoughts on the 3rd IB vs. Instant Ca$h debate out there:

Instant Ca$h is a really, really cool concept; but when the leader had ~$20 or more on their contemporaries, it was moot. Plus, Jim couldn't wheel 'n' deal on it. With the 3rd IB, he could alter the price and cash offer greatly so that the leader would take and the game would change. With the Ca$h, it was merely a minute-or-so speedbump segment.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

zachhoran

Some $ale Opinions
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2006, 09:04:38 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'114428\' date=\'Mar 28 2006, 08:55 AM\']

Instant Ca$h is a really, really cool concept; but when the leader had ~$20 or more on their contemporaries, it was moot. Plus, Jim couldn't wheel 'n' deal on it. With the 3rd IB, he could alter the price and cash offer greatly so that the leader would take and the game would change. With the Ca$h, it was merely a minute-or-so speedbump segment.

-Jason
[/quote]

Would a better fix for the Instant Cash have been to make the cost of it the usual cost of the third IB($15 or so) was, regardless of the player's lead. Jim could wheel and deal on a tie on whenever the producers let him, as he usually did :) I remember someone risking $65 to go for the base amount of $1K one time.

BrandonFG

Some $ale Opinions
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2006, 09:16:46 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' post=\'114430\' date=\'Mar 28 2006, 09:04 AM\']
Would a better fix for the Instant Cash have been to make the cost of it the usual cost of the third IB($15 or so) was, regardless of the player's lead. Jim could wheel and deal on a tie on whenever the producers let him, as he usually did :) I remember someone risking $65 to go for the base amount of $1K one time.
[/quote]
Yes and no. If a contestant has > $15, then there's some strategy and risk. But in the case of that $65 lead you describe, if I go for the Instant Cash with that kind of lead, where's the risk or drama? I'm still up $50, and unless my 2nd place opponent can rattle off 10 in a row, I can just about take a nap during the Speed Round. Plus, I'll have at least an extra $100 in my pocket (consolation for not getting the actual jackpot).

Giving up the lead sets up a nice dilemma, esp. if the jackpot is actually up to a nice number. But, in that contestant's case, giving up that kind of lead for a not-even-guaranteed $1,000 is just ridiculous IMO.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!