Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I've Got A Secret -- GSN Style  (Read 4514 times)

TimK2003

I've Got A Secret -- GSN Style
« on: March 26, 2006, 01:38:15 AM »
I just saw the promotions for IGAS on GSN (which premieres on 4/17).  

Am I correct to assume that these are brand new, GSN exclusive eps and not the most recent IGAS series aired on Oxygen with Stephanie Miller at the helm?

If that is the case, then what's the skinny on this version (host? gameplay variations?, etc...?)

And would this mean that the Oh! channel has lost their rights to the IGAS format?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 01:42:00 AM by TimK2003 »

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 02:06:54 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Mar 26 2006, 01:38 AM\']I just saw the promotions for IGAS on GSN (which premieres on 4/17). 

Am I correct to assume that these are brand new, GSN exclusive eps and not the most recent IGAS series aired on Oxygen with Stephanie Miller at the helm?

If that is the case, then what's the skinny on this version (host? gameplay variations?, etc...?)
[snapback]114184[/snapback]
[/quote]

This is still supposed to be a "gay" version of IGAS, isn't it?

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 02:45:08 AM »
[quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Mar 26 2006, 02:06 AM\']This is still supposed to be a "gay" version of IGAS, isn't it?
[snapback]114186[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes...Bill Dwyer (Dirty Rotten Cheater, one of the late-90s game shows from Fox Sports Net) hosts.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 07:27:16 AM »
[quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Mar 26 2006, 02:06 AM\']

This is still supposed to be a "gay" version of IGAS, isn't it?
[snapback]114186[/snapback]
[/quote]

There's nothing wrong with that, now. Let's see if this as as respectable a revival as TTTT90 was, though I wouldn't expect that. If they can get a decent celeb panel who cares about playing the game, which it's been argued hasn't happened since that version of TTTT, it might be decent.

DrBear

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 08:04:57 AM »
In Dwyre's recent interver with the Perfesser, there was a lot of chat about how tough it is to follow in the footsteps of Moore, Allen, etc., but not much about the new show - its panel, etc. - except to say there will be "celebrity guests." It really isn't worth your time if you want to know any more about the show. But I like Dwyre and I'm optimistic.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 08:07:17 AM »
The best-known of the panelists is Frank DeCaro, the former movie reviewer for The Daily Show and currently a Sirius radio host.  The other panelists are stand-up comic Suzanne Westenhoefer, former big-league  baseball player Billy Bean, and someone named Jermaine Taylor whom the GSN press release calls a "Broadway actor and dancer" without giving any of his credits, which suggests there aren't many.

While the panel is all-gay, the GSN press release doesn't play that up.  In fact, the word "gay" doesn't even appear in the press release. I guess we won't know until mid-April how much of a part that plays in the show.

http://www.gsn.com/corporate/press.php?release_id=175
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Mar 26 2006, 08:04 AM\']In Dwyre's recent interver with the Perfesser, there was a lot of chat about how tough it is to follow in the footsteps of Moore, Allen, etc., but not much about the new show - its panel, etc. - except to say there will be "celebrity guests." [/quote]
Dwyer is a professional, and this is what's called "knowing your audience".  Even if he'd never heard of Beverly, if he's being interviewed by somebody representing tvgameshows.net, he's going to to focus on the historic ties.  When his IGAS interview comes out in The Advocate (heh heh..."comes out") the focus might be different.  Moreover, Steve is a conservative from a small town in Tennessee with a well-known record of being what is euphemistically called "family-friendly".  There's no way he's going to dwell on the sexual orientation of the panel.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 08:17:10 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

FeudDude

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 09:44:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 26 2006, 08:07 AM\']Dwyer is a professional, and this is what's called "knowing your audience".  Even if he'd never heard of Beverly, if he's being interviewed by somebody representing tvgameshows.net, he's going to to focus on the historic ties.  When his IGAS interview comes out in The Advocate (heh heh..."comes out") the focus might be different.  Moreover, Steve is a conservative from a small town in Tennessee with a well-known record of being what is euphemistically called "family-friendly".  There's no way he's going to dwell on the sexual orientation of the panel.
[snapback]114195[/snapback]
[/quote]

Alex Davis did a phone interview with producer Burt Dubrow (you can listen to it on Buzzer).  He also talked about how the new show is going to have a "classic" feel, and said that the all-gay aspect is not being played up at all.

SamPrainito

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 09:59:16 PM »
With regard the the Perfesser:

You're right.  I mean this is the guy that thought the Big Deal contestants on the first episode of the Billy Bush LMAD were dressed as "cowboys".  

THEY WERE PIMPS!

itiparanoid13

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 10:08:21 AM »
Just got back from vacation.  Nice to see a post about the new IGAS finally started.  Here's a picture of the set and some more that I got from GSN.

PICTURE LINK

As for the show, I'm looking foward to it.  Dubrow did tell me that the fact that the panel is gay is never mentioned (if that holds up, we'll see), and the panel is like that of classic Match Game (see before note).  The success of this show is a bit iffy to me.  I just don't think a panel show can survive at an 11:30PM timeslot without heavy heavy heavy advertising.  One other thing that rubs me the wrong way is the fact that Craigslist is searching for IGAS contestants with a specific talent.  I know they were looking for a sushi model for at least a month.  Top prize for GSN's IGAS is $1000 and dinner on Beverly Hills.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 10:43:49 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 10:08 AM\']Just got back from vacation.  Nice to see a post about the new IGAS finally started.  Here's a picture of the set and some more that I got from GSN.[/quote]
Oh, I like this.  And while I'm baffled as to why they would expressly go out and get themselves an all-gay panel and then not make that relevant to the show, I'm pleased that they're going to be casting a wider net.  At the very least, they didn't cast this panel based on its fame, so hopefully they found people who will simply be good at this sort of thing.

Shows like this always come down to panel chemistry.  If this group is closer to Cullen-Palmer-Morgan-Myerson than it is to Meshach-Poundstone-Coulier-Margolis, then we may have something here.  I am a LOT more optimistic than when I first heard the news.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 01:38:45 PM »
And is it just me, or does Bil look like a young Tom Kennedy in those press photos?

It looks REALLY good. I have to wonder if they didn't find out somewhere in the process that I've Got Teh Ghey wasn't going to fly as well as just plain I've Got A Secret and just decided to downplay it. Which they should, since being gay pretty much has no bearing whatsoever to the show.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

davemackey

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 04:00:37 PM »
Anyone else getting a Bill Bohnert "Password" vibe from that set? Man, that's hot.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 06:03:28 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 01:00 PM\']Anyone else getting a Bill Bohnert "Password" vibe from that set? Man, that's hot.
[snapback]114305[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm having a flashback to 1961 right now.

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 09:54:34 PM »
Lovin the set...very classy and retro, but still looks modern at the same time. (did that make sense?) It has a cool, jazzy, Rat Pack feel to it. :-)

As for Bil, I see the Tom Kennedy resemblance as well.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

sshuffield70

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 10:20:50 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'114260\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 09:08 AM\']
Top prize for GSN's IGAS is $1000 and dinner on Beverly Hills.
[/quote]

How big are Beverly's Hiils?  And can her frame support the dinner?