Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Got Time-Warner?  (Read 8276 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 12:48:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'114734\' date=\'Mar 29 2006, 09:42 PM\']
Realizing we're drifting OT here, the problem with that line of reasoning is that it assumes you're going to want anywhere close to that many stations if/when a la carte happens.  The theoretical idea behind supporters of a la carte is that people will only choose a small number of channels (popular wisdom says about twenty, plus locals), and even if they pay a couple of bucks each for them, they still come out ahead.  The truth is that nobody knows for sure what's going to happen, but it will certainly disrupt the industry something fierce.
[/quote]
I agree, but me and Travis were actually just discussing that, and it's my opinion that while it's a noble idea, those people are gonna find that they have twenty channels plus locals and are still paying the same $50 they were before any kind of a la carte system was put into place.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GAME SHOW FAN 87

Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 01:20:33 AM »
Time-Warner dropped GSN from my service here in Clinton over a year ago and there's still an empty channel where it used to be.  I called my cable company about it several times, and this most recent time they told me that Comcast was taking over Time-Warner here in the Greater Jackson Mississippi area. Hopefully what this means is that we will either get GSN back after over a year or get a new channel.

sshuffield70

Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 09:34:13 AM »
[quote name=\'BrownBoyUT\' post=\'114724\' date=\'Mar 29 2006, 10:28 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'114638\' date=\'Mar 29 2006, 03:11 PM\']
Dropped outright in the Austin area

That's interesting; further down the road here in San Antonio it's channel 78 on basic cable.

--Jamie
[/quote]

Not anymore. Being moved to a "sports tier" in the near future. GSN brought the mega-Chuck Woolery-bobblehead to town to drum up support to stay basic.

Greg Vallejo

P.S. Since it's being moved to the "sports tier," I wonder if the rebranding may be to blame... ;)
[/quote]

I think to most who have seen this, yes, it's the rebranding.  When you've put up blackjack, poker, dodgeball, ADD, and ATW, what do they all have in common?  Yep, they're all related to stuff found on ESPN and FSN.  And while I don't think Cronin had a sports network in mind when the rebranding was thought of, the result of what WAS done since is this.

GSFan

Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2006, 03:24:17 PM »
I may lose Time Warner.  Today, I saw the on air announcement that GSN is being dropped, effective May 1.  Can switch to Cablevision?  I wonder...

David
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

dzinkin

Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2006, 03:31:48 PM »
[quote name=\'GSFan\' post=\'116612\' date=\'Apr 19 2006, 03:24 PM\']
I may lose Time Warner.  Today, I saw the on air announcement that GSN is being dropped, effective May 1.  Can switch to Cablevision?  I wonder...
[/quote]
Unless things have changed recently, Cablevision covers Brooklyn and the Bronx while Time Warner covers the other three boroughs; no part of New York City is serviced by both cable companies.  Some parts of NYC have an alternative in RCN, but I don't know if RCN carries GSN.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2006, 04:06:18 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'116613\' date=\'Apr 19 2006, 02:31 PM\']
Unless things have changed recently, Cablevision covers Brooklyn and the Bronx while Time Warner covers the other three boroughs; no part of New York City is serviced by both cable companies.  Some parts of NYC have an alternative in RCN, but I don't know if RCN carries GSN.
[/quote]
From a cursory glance at tvguide.com (just changing my zip code to pretend that I live in NYC), they do not.  I find it odd that they do carry WGN, while most of the other cable systems in NYC and Long Island do not.

Must be a lot of Cubbies fans in that part of Manhattan. :-)

Doug -- and the countdown to 1900 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Ian Wallis

Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2006, 08:53:50 AM »
I find it odd that they do carry WGN, while most of the other cable systems in NYC and Long Island do not.

WGN wasn't even listed in the regular New York Metropolitan edition of TVGuide before the digest format ended, but there were a lot of full-page ads for WGN programming in that edition.  I haven't seen one of the NYC cable editions in a long time, but I'd imagine it was listed in the specific cable edition only.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

WhammyPower

Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 02:47:37 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'116613\' date=\'Apr 19 2006, 02:31 PM\']
[quote name=\'GSFan\' post=\'116612\' date=\'Apr 19 2006, 03:24 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Are you able to have a sattelite dish?  That might be your best bet.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 02:47:45 PM by WhammyPower »

dad1153

Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2006, 11:20:57 PM »
UPDATE[/u]: I talked to a TWC phone rep. here in NYC and GSN will stay put on the system.  Apparently negotiations between Time Warner and GSN lasted until the last possible moment and they compromised.  From posts on the GSN Forum this has also affected Upstate NY systems that were taken off, so GSN may just return to TWC systems that it has disappeared from (like Houston).  Glad this didn't end up like the Lifetime-Direct TV fight, which is still ongoing with Direct TV still blocking Lifetime fans from seeing that station on their satellite service.

Darn it, and I just spent a month researching HDTV's and satellite programming packages that I was going to switch to when GSN disappeared from my TWC system. :-(
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 11:23:03 PM by dad1153 »

itiparanoid13

Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2006, 09:02:40 AM »
GSN has told me that they are in final negotiations to keep it in the digital tier.

sshuffield70

Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2006, 02:04:07 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'117351\' date=\'Apr 30 2006, 08:02 AM\']
GSN has told me that they are in final negotiations to keep it in the digital tier.
[/quote]

Good!  Maybe they will get a clue and take off all the sports related programming, since that's where TWC was gonna put them,

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2006, 02:17:03 PM »
Maybe they will get a clue and take off all the sports related programming, since that's where TWC was gonna put them

Down here in San Antonio, it's been on the sports tier since April 1. Nope, no new I've Got a Secret for us! Boo.
I'd been very tempted to press the "buy" button and pay the extra $6.95 per month. Now with this new development, I'd hate to purchase that tier only for them to move GSN back to 78. Sheesh.

--Jamie

trainman

Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2006, 01:40:30 AM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' post=\'117329\' date=\'Apr 29 2006, 08:20 PM\']Glad this didn't end up like the Lifetime-Direct TV fight, which is still ongoing with Direct TV still blocking Lifetime fans from seeing that station on their satellite service.[/quote]

That is Dish Network, actually, which has historically had many more of these types of disputes than DirecTV has had (in other words, DirecTV caves in easier).
trainman is a man of trains