Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Man, is NY taping some game shows lately...  (Read 2008 times)

cmjb13

Man, is NY taping some game shows lately...
« on: March 29, 2006, 03:15:50 PM »
World Series of Pop Culture.

Tapes end of next month.

Plus giveaways to audience members.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 03:20:55 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'114642\' date=\'Mar 29 2006, 02:15 PM\']

Tapes end of next month.

[/quote]

The common bond in both "World Series" and "Chain Reaction" is Michael Davies.  It's obvious New York is still his home base.

The Ziegfeld's one of the last old-school movie palaces in Manhattan that hasn't been plexed, closed down or turned into a legit theater.  They're picking a classy place to tape the show.

goongas

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 03:30:51 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'114644\' date=\'Mar 29 2006, 04:20 PM\']
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'114642\' date=\'Mar 29 2006, 02:15 PM\']

Tapes end of next month.

[/quote]

The common bond in both "World Series" and "Chain Reaction" is Michael Davies.  It's obvious New York is still his home base.
[/quote]

It makes sense to tape shows there as that is where his production company is based.  I will attend the two tapings on Sunday.

narzo

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 06:06:24 AM »
I'm thrilled to see more taping in New York.  Without starting a war between the coasts, I've always felt the shows from NYC had a much better show of diversity among the contestants, and a broader variety of personalities.

ChuckNet

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 12:01:44 AM »
As a native NYer, I can't really argue w/Shawn's assessments...there was just a certain charm about the 70s Pyramid, syndie TTTT, The Big Showdown, etc. that really set them apart from the LA-based games of the same era.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

uncamark

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 12:19:59 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'115209\' date=\'Apr 3 2006, 11:01 PM\']
As a native NYer, I can't really argue w/Shawn's assessments...there was just a certain charm about the 70s Pyramid, syndie TTTT, The Big Showdown, etc. that really set them apart from the LA-based games of the same era.
[/quote]

In one of those depravity-of-daytime-television articles the weekly newsmagazines used to trot out every five years or so, the distinguished Time magazine film critic Richard Schickel made an interesting observation the East Coast and West Coast game shows reflected where they were taped--the New York shows were either a more direct test of knowledge or based on the time pressures of city living, while the LA shows were more easy-going, more easy, more generous.

And of course there was a difference in contestants between the fast-talking Noo Yawkers playing "Pyramid" and the bouncing babes from Rancho Del Vista Del Mar calling for Ruta to roll the dice on "High Rollers."

Of course, a decade later, as production consolidated on the West Coast and remakes started dominating the schedule, the differences were long gone.