Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Dumps 'WML?' and B&W Overnight...  (Read 5192 times)

dad1153

GSN Dumps 'WML?' and B&W Overnight...
« on: April 29, 2006, 04:03:20 AM »
I tuned at 3:30AM for my daily dose of 'What's My Line?' with Daly, Francis, Cerf and Kilgallen (we're in the '63 year) and what do I see?  An unannounced episode of the syndicated/color version of 'WML?' with Larry Blyden from 1972 or 73 (Mystery Guest is/was Big Bird).  No tribute episodes were announced or scheduled for today, so I guess the shoe has finally dropped on classic B&W programming on GSN for good.  Guess the B&W show was shaming its 3:00AM with class and sophistication.

I would normally explode right about now but I'm just too numbed with sadness, anger and decimated morale to say anything else.  Will put any thought of how to let GSN know they can go f*** themselves now as far as I'm concerned until Monday.  Would be glad to eat crow and look like an imbecil tomorrow if this turns out to be a stunt and classic 'WML?' returns tomorrow and stays put.  I love this show sooooooo much!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 04:06:32 AM by dad1153 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 05:49:14 AM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' post=\'117288\' date=\'Apr 29 2006, 01:03 AM\']
I would normally explode right about now but I'm just too numbed with sadness, anger and decimated morale to say anything else.  [/quote]
Just don't throw your TV out the window. Not because I care if you have a TV or not, but then you'd have to pay Karlberg a royalty.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 07:53:07 AM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' post=\'117288\' date=\'Apr 29 2006, 03:03 AM\']
I would normally explode right about now but I'm just too numbed with sadness, anger and decimated morale to say anything else. [/quote]
Dude, it's a TV show.
And unlike the GSN boards, you aren't going to have a posse to back you up.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tyshaun1

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 08:16:07 AM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' post=\'117288\' date=\'Apr 29 2006, 04:03 AM\']
I tuned at 3:30AM for my daily dose of 'What's My Line?' with Daly, Francis, Cerf and Kilgallen (we're in the '63 year) and what do I see?  An unannounced episode of the syndicated/color version of 'WML?' with Larry Blyden from 1972 or 73 (Mystery Guest is/was Big Bird).  No tribute episodes were announced or scheduled for today, so I guess the shoe has finally dropped on classic B&W programming on GSN for good.  Guess the B&W show was shaming its 3:00AM with class and sophistication.

[/quote]
Hold your horses, son. Perhaps this has something to do with Carroll Spinney receiving a lifetime acheivement Emmy on last night's Daytime Emmy awards? Not that I really care, I'm just sayin'.

Tyshaun

DrBear

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 08:33:37 AM »
I don't doubt that it's a tie-in to the Emmy...but doggoneit, where was the publicity?
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

tvwxman

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 09:23:18 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'117297\' date=\'Apr 29 2006, 08:33 AM\']
I don't doubt that it's a tie-in to the Emmy...but doggoneit, where was the publicity?
[/quote]

You know, GSN would do a world of good to PROMOTE something like this. And I don't mean a press release either. Spend a few bucks on an ad or two!

Why is B&W Overnight still on in Overnight? Doesn't GSN realize the 'cultish' following these shows have? How about "B&W Lunchtime" an hour of tributes, classics at noon? I'd sure watch, and that's coming from a guy who has never watched one bit of the overnight programming.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 09:35:08 AM »
I would put them on at 11am E.  Stay-at-home game show fans probably switch over to TPIR anyway, so why not put something on for the tapers?  Maybe run them on a sustaining basis, so they aren't counted in the ratings.  Sorta like TBS's '80's "VCR Theater," movies you're expected to tape, not watch in real time.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Fedya

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 09:56:58 PM »
I've thought, after the summer GSN tried "Breakfast with the Stars", that it's a concept that might be well-suited for weekend mornings.  Most people might not care to watch a show like Go, for example (if they did, GSN might have higher ratings!), but promoting a morning's worth of Betty White playing various games might get a few White fans to watch who might not otherwise watch.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

irismason42

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 05:30:26 PM »
As I read, Betty White was also on Narz/Wood Beat The Clock along with Allen Ludden but not on the same week since that show only required one celebrity throughout all 5 episodes.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 05:36:12 PM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' post=\'117288\' date=\'Apr 29 2006, 01:03 AM\']I tuned at 3:30AM for my daily dose of 'What's My Line?' with Daly, Francis, Cerf and Kilgallen (we're in the '63 year) and what do I see?  An unannounced episode of the syndicated/color version of 'WML?' with Larry Blyden from 1972 or 73 (Mystery Guest is/was Big Bird).  No tribute episodes were announced or scheduled for today, so I guess the shoe has finally dropped on classic B&W programming on GSN for good.[/quote]
Epilogue: No, the shoe has not dropped. I was privileged to fall asleep last night to the dulcet tones of John D. and company. A mere one-night stand for Blyden, 'tappears.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 06:58:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' post=\'117384\' date=\'Apr 30 2006, 05:36 PM\']Epilogue: No, the shoe has not dropped. I was privileged to fall asleep last night to the dulcet tones of John D. and company. A mere one-night stand for Blyden, 'tappears.[/quote]
Still, they HAVE removed IGAS in favor of replays of the current model, so I fear the writing may be on the wall.  Frankly, if they turned over the B&WO hour to, say, seventies WML? and TTTT, at least us classics fans would have something.  My fear is they'll eliminate them altogether, and sooner rather than later.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.