Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cash Cab on the Discovery Channel  (Read 1960 times)

alfonzos

Cash Cab on the Discovery Channel
« on: May 01, 2006, 04:12:50 PM »
I searched and could find no mention of this pleasant little diversion.

I watched two episodes of this while vacationing. As with Obliviou$ a person suddenly finds one's self on a quiz show. Unlike the older game show, a player is informed of the situation. The game show studio is a specially designed taxicab with two or three cameras. There seems to be two more cameras outside the vehicle; one trailing and one leading. During the cab ride, the driver quizzes the player about general knowledge. The questions are about medium difficulty.

If a player is stumped by a question, the player can use the driver's cell phone to call for help or flag down a passerby and ask. Correct answers are worth money and players are penalized for incorrect answers. At the end of the ride, the player can play double or nothing on one final question.

I liked this game. It's small. It's cute. It's fun to watch. My favorite touch is how the interior roof of the cab lights up like a disco dance floor.

It's on weeknights at 6 and 6:30 ET.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 04:40:40 PM »
We knew this already.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 04:44:04 PM by Brandon Brooks »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 05:01:54 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'117465\' date=\'May 1 2006, 04:12 PM\']It's on weeknights at 6 and 6:30 ET.[/quote]
It appears that Cash Cab airs at 5 and 5:30 PM ET now.  My sister was watching a show on Discovery one night last week during the 6 PM hour.  I asked her to flip through the digital cable guide to see what time Cash Cab airs.  She found it airing an hour earlier.

TheGameShowGuy

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 09:38:10 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' post=\'117472\' date=\'May 1 2006, 05:01 PM\']
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'117465\' date=\'May 1 2006, 04:12 PM\']It's on weeknights at 6 and 6:30 ET.[/quote]
It appears that Cash Cab airs at 5 and 5:30 PM ET now.  My sister was watching a show on Discovery one night last week during the 6 PM hour.  I asked her to flip through the digital cable guide to see what time Cash Cab airs.  She found it airing an hour earlier.
[/quote]

I think it moved back to 6/6:30 ... as per TiVo

I too "Discovered" this little game show on The Discovery Channel about two months ago...
Though a bit of "out of the box" thinking when creating this type of  game show, it certainlly fits my definition of a game show and  I like it! I now TiVo it regularly... It's the only thing I ever watched on that channel...

Must ask:
"Cash Cab" is obviously highly edited...
Living in NY and in the know about Manhattan traffic, I would like to know what determines how many questions go into a ride...
I have seen some 30 block rides get more questions in than 50 block rides.
Sometimes 8 blocks gets one or two questions...
You can't travel that fast in Manhattan!!!

Personally I notice the comparisons to Oblivious too but while I thought that show was"OK" , I like Cash Cab much better.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 12:49:01 AM »
I try to watch the show every chance I get. I like that it's just a simple question bee, nothing complex about it. The thing is, if you did this in a studio with a bare set, two desks and no lights, you'd get laughed out of the office. The only reason the show exists is because it's in a cab. Even though I'd watch Cash Cab if it were done in a studio. It may not be much of a game, but it is interesting.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 01:02:19 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'117497\' date=\'May 2 2006, 12:49 AM\']
I try to watch the show every chance I get. I like that it's just a simple question bee, nothing complex about it.
[/quote]

Bottom line: Yet another derivative of "Uncle Jim's Question Bee."  :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.