Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Marathon  (Read 1494 times)

Particleman

Game Show Marathon
« on: May 12, 2006, 10:29:06 AM »
CBS has scheduled Game Show Marathon to start on Wednesday, May 31.  They'll run the first four episodes on back to back weeknights for the first two weeks and then the other three episodes once a week.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111794261...e+show+marathon

Don't miss it; I think you're all going to enjoy it.

Jimmy Owen

Game Show Marathon
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 11:38:40 AM »
I'd find it a little more encouraging if they had scheduled it during sweeps, but, I will be there watching.  

One thing in the article amused me. The show is listed as a "UK import," which I guess is technically correct as far as the "marathon" concept is concerned, but the shows contained within the marathon originated in the US and the series is done here in the states.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 11:44:52 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Show Marathon
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 12:22:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'118302\' date=\'May 12 2006, 08:38 AM\']
I'd find it a little more encouraging if they had scheduled it during sweeps, but, I will be there watching.  
[/quote]
It was always intended as a summer series, which makes good sense: if it catches, they can plan something for the fall or for after the Super Bowl, and if it doesn't, well, they didn't expect much from it anyhow.

See "Celebrity Cooking Showdown" or whatever the hell it was called for a prime example of what can happen to a show that everyone has high expectations for when it ultimately flops.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

cmjb13

Game Show Marathon
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 01:08:44 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'118305\' date=\'May 12 2006, 12:22 PM\']
See "Celebrity Cooking Showdown" or whatever the hell it was called for a prime example of what can happen to a show that everyone has high expectations for when it ultimately flops.
[/quote]
Absolutely. Especially after seeing the promos for it. (Thankfully, never saw anything of the show)

I could never understand who made the decision that people screaming and applauding would make good TV. What were they screaming and applauding for? Putting butter in a frying pan?

Wonder if it's the same paid audience for DOND?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 01:09:11 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Game Show Marathon
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 04:14:41 PM »
I'm encouraged by the time slots -- 8:00 p.m. is the right time slot, and the majority of episodes are on Thursday, which has been CBS' best night (granted, its popular Thursday shows will be gone or in reruns for a couple weeks before Game Show Marathon begins, but still).

Which two episodes get the Wednesday slots will also be interesting.

I know NBC has some new series lined up for the summer and assume that ABC and Fox do, as well -- do we know when those will be airing? Having no other first-run programming to oppose it certainly helped launch Deal or No Deal.

--
Scott Robinson

uncamark

Game Show Marathon
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 04:37:23 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'118329\' date=\'May 12 2006, 03:14 PM\']
I'm encouraged by the time slots -- 8:00 p.m. is the right time slot, and the majority of episodes are on Thursday, which has been CBS' best night (granted, its popular Thursday shows will be gone or in reruns for a couple weeks before Game Show Marathon begins, but still).

Which two episodes get the Wednesday slots will also be interesting.

I know NBC has some new series lined up for the summer and assume that ABC and Fox do, as well -- do we know when those will be airing? Having no other first-run programming to oppose it certainly helped launch Deal or No Deal.
[/quote]

NBC's got "America's Got Talent," with the results show at 8:30 on Thursday, but that phase won't start until after "Marathon"'s over (which Fremantle is happy about, since it's their show too).

Fox is doing "So You Think You Can Dance?" again, but I don't know the exact days (seems to me that it didn't air on Thursday last year).  I seem to recall that it is starting the Wednesday after Memorial Day, which is the first night of the "Marathon," but I imagine that "Bones" will rerun at 8.