Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shokus Video-Highly recommended  (Read 3629 times)

Tim L

Shokus Video-Highly recommended
« on: May 23, 2006, 01:50:02 AM »
In the "Tape Trading" Thread I mentioned purchasing some shows from Shokus Video..Just want to report back that after ordering the DVD's Online late Thursday Night and having them shipped  Friday from California..They were at my home in Ohio by Monday afternoon.  That amazes me..3 and a half day turnover from ordering  to receiving over a weekend,  I heartily recommend Sholus Video..They have all kinds of rare vintage TV programming from as early as 1947 to around 1966-67. And their service is outstanding..
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 02:26:00 AM by Tim L »

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 02:30:06 AM »
I second that, they are outstanding.
I'd recommend doing business with them regularly. That way, you can make it onto their list of preferred customers to whom they offer rarer items not sold through the regular site.

--Jamie

rebelwrest

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 12:50:59 PM »
Well I decided to take the jump.  I ordered a DVD from them.  Hope I am not disappointed, but thank you for the high recommendations, especially from Jamie.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 02:12:41 PM »
I only ordered from them once and I still receive their flyers.  
Gee, took me three times before I got those flyers! Pshw.
:-D

--Jamie

Tim L

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 02:25:59 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'119202\' date=\'May 23 2006, 12:50 PM\']
Well I decided to take the jump.  I ordered a DVD from them.  Hope I am not disappointed, but thank you for the high recommendations, especially from Jamie.
[/quote]

You wont be with the service..As far as the shows themselves. keep in mind that these mostly are Kinescope recordings and arent going to be as clear and crisp looking as shows from the 70's and 80's..They do as much as they can with what they have and are very watchable..There might be some flutters, cracks or pops in some of the material due to age..But it is worth it to have the rare material..
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 02:43:30 PM by Tim L »

gwarman2005

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 09:06:37 PM »
Not wanting to start a huge war or words or anything... but why is it ok for them to sell game shows when others are chastised for doing the same on ebay?  Do they have the rights to the shows?  Have the trademarks or copyrights run out on the original owners/producers?  I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, I've always been curious.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 09:16:37 PM »
[quote name=\'gwarman2005\' post=\'119273\' date=\'May 23 2006, 06:06 PM\']
Not wanting to start a huge war or words or anything... but why is it ok for them to sell game shows when others are chastised for doing the same on ebay?  Do they have the rights to the shows?  Have the trademarks or copyrights run out on the original owners/producers?  I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, I've always been curious.
[/quote]
I think it's basically because they are selling things it's legal for them to sell, because the rights have run out. Shokus is well known enough that if they WERE operating illegally, you gotta think one or another of the production companies would have sent 'em a C&D by now.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 10:37:11 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'119275\' date=\'May 23 2006, 09:16 PM\']
[quote name=\'gwarman2005\' post=\'119273\' date=\'May 23 2006, 06:06 PM\']
[/quote]
I think it's basically because they are selling things it's legal for them to sell, because the rights have run out. Shokus is well known enough that if they WERE operating illegally, you gotta think one or another of the production companies would have sent 'em a C&D by now.[/quote]
That's pretty much it exactly. I'm familiar with the Shokus operation (I've even seen the super-cool storeroom of 16mm film) and they're good about knowing what is and is not fair game for distribution.   Without getting into details that I wouldn't be right about anyway, mostly it has to do with original copyrights running out AND ownership of original kinescopes. (Which is why, for example, WE can't -- or shouldn't -- turn around and sell copies of Shokus or GSN programming.) It probably wouldn't surprise you to learn that they actually have a number of things in their inventory that they don't intend to sell because of rights issues.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 03:21:31 AM »
As it happens, though, I'm about to toss all of this into a cocked hat.

I don't want to SPAM on the board, but I'll just say that my thoroughly re-designed kinescope restoration process has been determined by our attorneys to output restored material that is able to be newly copyrighted by the intellectual property right owners of the programs in question.  I've had talks with a couple of archive holders, and can now say that there will be a public example of the process coming up in August on your local PBS stations, as a part of the Kingston Trio documentary "Wherever We May Go".  Further, I'm currently working with another company on a home video release for later on this year that I cannot yet announce details of, but which should, I hope, raise the bar considerably for the standard of classic live television releases.

This seems like an unusual place to debut this information, but since the subject was raised, it seemed to be on-topic...

-Kevin

(PS-- to be absolutely on-topic, I've known Stu (Shokus' owner) for a few years, and can vouch for the fact that he's a man who cares greatly about classic television, and treats his customers quite well.)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 03:32:59 AM by TwoInchQuad »

KWJCDon

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 09:32:23 PM »
I've ordered through Shokus numerous times now and have had excellent service and treatment. I highly recommend them!!

Don

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 10:23:38 PM »
In reference to what TwoInchQuad has said, is this restoration process similar to the VidFIRE process that is being used over the pond (mainly on the restored "Doctor Who" releases)?  It sounds very interesting and I'm sur'e we'll all be watching PBS this August. :-)

remlap

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 06:15:58 AM »
BBC has a whole team restoring old BBC shows and are looking for any reels of film whatever its content.

BBC have found some real gems over the years.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 10:04:10 AM »
[quote name=\'remlap\' post=\'119431\' date=\'May 25 2006, 06:15 AM\']
BBC has a whole team restoring old BBC shows and are looking for any reels of film whatever its content.[/quote]
One more reason British TV is better than American TV.  Meanwhile, we know where stuff is and we're not doing anything about it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvrandywest

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 01:30:56 PM »
Not that any more good words are needed, but I know Stu and have seen his operation. There is nobody who does what Shokus does with a fraction of the love and respect Stuart has for the product and for his customers.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 01:35:35 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'119419\' date=\'May 24 2006, 06:23 PM\']
In reference to what TwoInchQuad has said, is this restoration process similar to the VidFIRE process that is being used over the pond (mainly on the restored "Doctor Who" releases)?  It sounds very interesting and I'm sur'e we'll all be watching PBS this August. :-)
[/quote]

Nicholas:

Well, I'm sure our goal is the same, though of course, I don't have details of their process.  I **can** tell you that from a technical standpoint, I'd much rather be able to work on British "telerecordings" (the term for their version of a kinescope film) than our format, because the job would be much easier, and the preserved quality of the starting image is **much** better!

-Kevin