Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Casting notice for new GSN game show  (Read 8764 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Casting notice for new GSN game show
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2006, 10:11:53 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'121748\' date=\'Jun 18 2006, 08:31 PM\']
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'121735\' date=\'Jun 18 2006, 04:04 PM\']
He could very well be a good game show host.  Perhaps he can get a little advice/coaching from former co-host/boss Dick Clark and he'll do okay.
[/quote]
I can't think for a single minute why I would enjoy watching that grating blow-hard host a game show.

I'll give it a shot, of course, and would be happy to be proven wrong, but he's pretty much proven to be an asshat in every other venue I've seen him in.
[/quote]
Well, that would add him to the (ever growing) list of <cue echo chamber>Game Show Hosts I've Actually Met<end/echo chamber>.

Before he got a Chicago radio gig, his agent at the time (who happens to be an old family friend--not sure whether she still reps him) took him to a Chicago steakhouse to wine-and-dine him.  Coincidentally, my family and I were at the same restaurant before heading off to a night of theatre.

Bonaduce's Chicago radio career wasn't all that notable, save for an appearance on one of the late-night talkers (which for the life of me I can't remember which one--Mark J.?) where he got cash for mentioning his boss's name several times (a bit he later parlayed into an infomercial with Kevin "Natural Cures" Trudeau, then doing his "Mega Memory" schtick).

Doug
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 10:15:00 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

sshuffield70

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2006, 10:51:56 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'121749\' date=\'Jun 18 2006, 08:32 PM\']
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'121467\' date=\'Jun 15 2006, 10:13 AM\']
Hi Randy, just a quick question.  Is this show being called "Starface" now?
[/quote]
Yep! Danny Bonaduce is hosting. The first episodes tape Monday and Tuesday.

The flight attendants on Southwest between Vegas and Burbank are starting to know me by name!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[/quote]

Yeah, too bad you can't go nonstop to Dallas.

dzinkin

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2006, 11:04:05 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'121749\' date=\'Jun 18 2006, 09:32 PM\']
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'121467\' date=\'Jun 15 2006, 10:13 AM\']
Hi Randy, just a quick question.  Is this show being called "Starface" now?
[/quote]
The flight attendants on Southwest between Vegas and Burbank are starting to know me by name!
[/quote]
You mean they don't know as soon as you announce what drink you want? ;-)

BrandonFG

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2006, 12:14:16 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'121758\' date=\'Jun 18 2006, 10:11 PM\']
Bonaduce's Chicago radio career wasn't all that notable, save for an appearance on one of the late-night talkers (which for the life of me I can't remember which one--Mark J.?) where he got cash for mentioning his boss's name several times (a bit he later parlayed into an infomercial with Kevin "Natural Cures" Trudeau, then doing his "Mega Memory" schtick).
[/quote]
Loveline? The radio version makes for great work-drive listening!

ObGameShow: Dr. Drew and former co-host Adam Carolla made appearances on Bergeron Squares, Carolla's doing the Marathon this week with MG.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2006, 04:16:09 AM »
"The GAME SHOW NETWORK proudly presents their latest FUN-FILLED, BIG PRIZE extravaganza... STARFACE, hosted by the incomparable DANNY BONADUCE (The Other Half, The Partridge Family)"

I just love how GSN will never seem to shake their GAME SHOW NETWORK moniker.

I've never been a fan of Danny Bonaduce and was delighted to see him fall down the hole on Russian Roulette. It should be...interesting to see how he fares as a game show host.

--Jamie

tvrandywest

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2006, 08:16:43 AM »
I've never been a fan of Danny Bonaduce
I don't know if liking Danny is necessary to make him a compelling or entertaining host. Certainly he will bring viewers to sample the show who might not otherwise stop their remotes at GSN. And he will bring far more to a show based on pop-culture / tabloid fame that someone who hasn't been in that spotlight. I'm interested in seeing if the ingredients of "Starface" combine to create the enjoyable and spicy dish we're all hungry for.  

While GSN has taken its fair share of criticism for missing the target on past attempts to re-invent the game show for a more salable demographic, the good news is that at least they're still trying!

You mean they don't know as soon as you announce what drink you want? ;-)
"This flight begins with a fabulous vodka tonic...."

"Some departing passengers will receive..."

"OK, our flight attendants are headed down the center aisle with these familiar bags of peanuts. They're a favorite on Southwest, and Randy gets his limit of five..."

Your turn.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 08:18:25 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2006, 10:20:35 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'121764\' date=\'Jun 18 2006, 11:14 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
It wasn't LOVELINE.  I was referring to the Leno/Letterman/Arsenio late-night types.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2006, 11:52:31 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'121792\' date=\'Jun 19 2006, 09:20 AM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'121764\' date=\'Jun 18 2006, 11:14 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
It wasn't LOVELINE.  I was referring to the Leno/Letterman/Arsenio late-night types.[/quote]

And it seems to me that it was Leno, but I'm not really sure.

Back when Bonaduce was in Chicago, I was in the same room with him when his wife Gretchen (who he regularly credits for saving his life) was singing at a "Chick Singer Night" showcase.  She was purely an OK singer, nothing special, and I didn't go to his table or say hi to him.  I just remember that he was very enthusiastic while Gretchen was up there.

trainman

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2006, 12:41:21 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'121778\' date=\'Jun 19 2006, 05:16 AM\']"This flight begins with a fabulous vodka tonic...."

"Some departing passengers will receive..."

"OK, our flight attendants are headed down the center aisle with these familiar bags of peanuts. They're a favorite on Southwest, and Randy gets his limit of five..."[/quote]

But do they ever turn the mike over to you for the safety announcement?

"In the event of a loss of cabin pressure, this lifesaving oxygen can be yours if you place the bag over your nose and mouth and continue breathing normally..."
trainman is a man of trains

tvrandywest

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2006, 09:33:50 PM »
I'll leave judgements about StarFace to viewers. I think most will find some very entertaining game elements and funny writing. Plus Danny does good work balancing the game and his wit. If you are a fan of pop culture / People / the tabloids / Entertainment Tonight / etc, this could become "must see TV" for you... but I'm not objective.

I will say that working with Danny far exceeded my expectations. He was a joy. We got along splendidly talking about everything from his sorted past escapades, my experiences, and his appearances with Mike Douglas, Jack Paar and Dick Cavett as a kid. I wish him and the producers success with the new show.

Bonus: I didn't know until I had lunch with Rich Cronin that he was a contestant on Password. Is this common knowledge that I missed?

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 09:36:16 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

zachhoran

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2006, 10:05:16 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'122059\' date=\'Jun 21 2006, 09:33 PM\']

Bonus: I didn't know until I had lunch with Rich Cronin that he was a contestant on Password. Is this common knowledge that I missed?

[/quote]

Rich Cronin was on P+ in mid-1979 with Bill Anderson and Sarah Purcell, and on Face the Music (won a Barcalounger, as per a report in Entertainment Weekly). As per a post on Invision when his episodes last played on GSN in early 2005(Saturday night block), he played P+ the week of 6/15/79-6/19/79. GSN will be up to that week of shows on the weekday airing in about three weeks.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 08:54:24 AM by zachhoran »

tvrandywest

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2006, 10:22:22 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' post=\'122064\' date=\'Jun 21 2006, 07:05 PM\']
Rich Cronin was on P+ in mid-1979 with Bill Anderson and Sarah Purcell, and on Face the Music (won a Barcalounger, as per a report in Entertainment Weekly)
[/quote]
Thanks. I didn't know any of that. Hmmmm, all I got on Face The Music was L'eggs pantyhose!

Randy
tvrandywest.com

NickS

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2006, 08:40:05 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'121797\' date=\'Jun 19 2006, 10:52 AM\']
And it seems to me that it was Leno, but I'm not really sure.

Back when Bonaduce was in Chicago, I was in the same room with him when his wife Gretchen (who he regularly credits for saving his life) was singing at a "Chick Singer Night" showcase.  She was purely an OK singer, nothing special, and I didn't go to his table or say hi to him.  I just remember that he was very enthusiastic while Gretchen was up there.
[/quote]

Maybe it's because I was a Chicagoan for a part of my life, but I have no problem whatsoever with Danny.

He was on Leno; he had WLUP's "The Loop" tattooed on his ass, showed that off on the show to get money and then mentioned GM Larry Wert's name a couple of times to get even more money.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 08:42:42 AM by TeppanYaki »

calliaume

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2006, 09:38:43 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'122069\' date=\'Jun 21 2006, 09:22 PM\']
Thanks. I didn't know any of that. Hmmmm, all I got on Face The Music was L'eggs pantyhose!
[/quote]
Can't believe I let this line go.  (You and Joe Namath, Randy?)

Here's an update on Starface.