Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Variety article on "Chain Reaction"  (Read 4747 times)

Matt Ottinger

Variety article on "Chain Reaction"
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 03:45:57 PM »
As it happens, Olbermann used the line last night on his news program.  It was the "alone" version.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

CaseyAbell

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 03:49:10 PM »
Very. I think that gaffe has been attributed to about six different broadcasters of the era.
Voices of the Game does nail its quotes pretty well, though. I've checked several against sound files available on the Internet, and the book got each one right. So maybe Saam did say it, once upon a time. It would been easy to hang the quote on, say, Jerry Coleman. Of course, Voices of the Game says that Jerry once identified himself as Jerry Gross. The book has a long list of Jerryisms that will brighten any day. But then some of those quotes differ a little from Internet lists I've seen.

Legends develop...

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 03:55:40 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'120531\' date=\'Jun 6 2006, 01:43 PM\']
You can't win (which seems to me to be the title of a "National Lampoon Radio Hour" game show parody).
[/quote]
Or a Kevin Matthews bit.

(This means nothing if you've never heard of the fomer Chicago radio personality now working in Grand Rapids--but I'm pretty sure Mark has.)

Doug -- and the countdown to 2000 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 04:21:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'120539\' date=\'Jun 6 2006, 12:45 PM\']As it happens, Olbermann used the line last night on his news program.  It was the "alone" version.[/quote]And one of the SC anchors (can't recall who) did the "...you need to get out more" line last night, as well.

The Vacationing Esoteric Eric. using up his last minutes of web time in an Internet cafe on the Las Vegas Strip, when he would have rather been in the waiting line for TPIR Live at Bally's, but it isn't being performed this week...

ObGSSlot: Came out $25 ahead on the big WOF SuperSpin game @ the Aladdin; lotsa fun, but the Wheel always landed on 10,000X on my space when I wasn't eligible to spin...
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976